It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Has Totally Reinvented Human Identity—For the Worse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

My family and I all around the world have used Whatsapp for years. Unfortunately, it's now been bought by Facebook. Like Google, Facebook is buying up popular social media and communication apps so there is no escaping either of them unless you unplug.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Great thread, im not on facebook or any social media at all i can't stand it, everyone is either pretending their life is so perfect too everyone or people going on how bad their life is and complaining turning it in too sook book, all while their info is more than likely being gathered by god only knows what sources ugh no thanks!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Or they're obsessively stalking people!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I would not put it past them! Im sure you remember them psychological experiments they did a few months ago, Honestly if they can do stuff like that i would not put anything past them!

The only con to not having fb is i am always the last too know about everything with family & friends but i can live with that atleast i will still have my sanity, somewhat haha, and atleast no one can really gather info on me or stalk me or spy on me, they must love them people that post their entire life on there and mainly use that for communicating with others

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yeah, it sure keeps everyone safe when police are using people's(as noted in media who have been arrested) identity to catch criminals. That's just the surface. It's given a sort of legal discrimination platform for employers, etc., to "look up" people.

This selfie culture, is not only prompting future employment issues, but many people young and old are resorting to plastic surgery/surgeries(note eating disorder in really young women to BDD) for a camera ready face. People may argue that it's the new culture, just accept it. It's really not that easy or that healthy. Unfortunately if you have underlying issues, surgeries are not going to work.

That's not even to mention the rest of us refusing to buy into it for everyday use. Facebook is still reigning, looks like younger people, who have been more opting out of Twitter and image sharing sites-apparently due to privacy issues parents and knowing about the NSA, etc-, which are now overtaking Twitters number rank of use are growing. While these image sharing sites can offer a timeline of what people like in products, images etc., overall it does seem more anonymous if one wants to keep it that way. Not say I support anything controlled or possibly slated so, as we know how NSA puts their tentacles into anything widely used, but if it takes down FB as a standard as well as is less invasive, all for the better.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Oh hell yeah the whole selfie thing is so bad for body image especially conaidering a good majority of them edit their photos to beautify themselves with apps specially made for it before posting their selfies, Teenage girls especially have enough pressure on them as it is and this is just adding to it, the thing is one day these girls will be women and if theyre so wrapped up in body image etc from conditioning basically then it will more than likely spiral out of control even more. It already has dramatically gotten worse from when i was a teenager and im 23, so wasnt all that long ago i was dealing with that obsessing over how i looked bs too.. There is nothing wrong with wanting too look good thats just how us humans are but its all for the wrong reasons right now, the ones that want to be thin should want to be thinner to be healthier and fitter over all not to impress a bunch of people on social media!
edit on 29-10-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
How did society allow him to become rich off Facebook? It's simple. The internet has bred a narcissistic, self-obsessed "look at me" culture, where people who were lonely and desperate for attention can suddenly share everything about their life with the entire world and actually find people out there who will pay attention to them and give them the attention they crave (or not). Either way, Facebook, Twitter and all that other "social media" stuff allows people to feel important, to feel like people actually give a damn about whether they're in a relationship, going on vacation, eating the new burger at McDonalds or taking a dump. Such sites allow people to push their taste in music, their great life, their personal problems, their political opinions, their vacation photos, their "hot" bods and everything else on everyone in their e-friend circle, whether wanted or not. Social media allows people who were nobodies to suddenly have a following and an audience.

Really, it's not hard to see why so many eat it up and become addicted. I never did get into any of it (thankfully), but I'm pretty anti-social.

I always wonder if the US Government blocked access to social media websites over here, would people flip out and burn the White House to the ground or would they just fall on their knees and sign away all freedoms in exchange for access to their precious facebook and twitter?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Charizard

Great summary. I'm pretty anti-social too, but at least I go outside. Without my laptop/phone/tablet LOL

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Facebook destroyed the forum world *thank you ATS for still kickin it!*

I can't believe that with every "upgrade" you still cannot change that disgusting grey. OoooOooooohh you now have a banner!! wow *very slow clap*, way to go FB! haha.

I don't use my real name.. I use the same alias I use everywhere on the web. They make me change that, then that's when Ill stop going there. Only do so now to keep contact w friends that don't venture out into the depths of the web..
I wont shed a tear the day I no longer use FB. Every time I go there I find myself just shaking my head and wishing to see it's downfall.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SalientSkivvy

The latest annoyance is all the email and social media sites are making it extremely difficult to register without your mobile phone number.

ETA: And we all know what happens from there and from photos if you forget to turn DEFAULT tracking settings off.

edit on 10/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I don't have Facebook or twitter, I think it's really not for me.

Why would you want to be in contact with everyone all the time, and even in the evenings and weekends having to be confronted with your fellow students and colleagues? I don't quite get that.

Then there's that I simply don't understand why I'd have to share what I'm doing or what concert I'll be visiting or whatever.... why do people need to know that? It almost feels a bit suffocating.

I never really understood what's so fun and great about social media. I do have whatsapp as I'm basically required to because of studies and talking to some people and even though I don't like to be able to be contacted at all times, it's bearable.

Being in touch with everyone all the time- please no

But as it is, we/people in general are increasingly becoming the slave of these things which is quite paradoxal as it's supposed to be the other way around, tools and devices are there for us!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I know eh? What's with that?
I made a post recently after closing the "add your number for security" for the millionth time "Dear facebook, I don't know how many times I have to tell you and you just won't listen.. but you are NOT getting my phone number.
I don't need you texting me for a booty call, or drunk dialing me at 3am when I'm in bed and have to work in a few hours."
edit on 30-10-2014 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Urantia1111

Yeah and that makes me sad for future generations. Really sad. Already there is a generation that never knew life without social media.

Add cellphones and handheld video games and suddenly the entire world of these children (and adults) becomes a digital facsimile of real life. How can anyone develop an original personality or even an original thought when they're constantly plugged in? How much of real life do they not see, hear or touch because of it?

The social pressure to join is enormous, small wonder every kid has an account. It's as if you're nobody without one.

It has a homogenizing quality where there's less of ourselves and more of everyone else. It's the ultimate tool for social conformity.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
But as it is, we/people in general are increasingly becoming the slave of these things which is quite paradoxal as it's supposed to be the other way around, tools and devices are there for us!

Very salient point!
Who do they serve, really?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
No one forced me to use facebook or ATS or any other social media. I'm here by choice. Facebook is the only way I keep in touch with old school or work friends or my nurses from hospital. Who cares? Use it or don't use it. The Internet is pretty big.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Yeah and that makes me sad for future generations. Really sad. Already there is a generation that never knew life without social media.

Add cellphones and handheld video games and suddenly the entire world of these children (and adults) becomes a digital facsimile of real life. How can anyone develop an original personality or even an original thought when they're constantly plugged in? How much of real life do they not see, hear or touch because of it?

The social pressure to join is enormous, small wonder every kid has an account. It's as if you're nobody without one.

It has a homogenizing quality where there's less of ourselves and more of everyone else. It's the ultimate tool for social conformity.

you have just given me another reason to try and show my kids what life is without being plugged in as such....

you summed up very well in that post where we are headed as a society

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
They are essentially compromising their authenticity.

I won't mention too much about my own facebook use and the fact I now avoid it, but as a professional in the art world I see it far too often.

Teenagers and older all copying art from others, I have seen my own artwork blatantly copied and watched people deliberately 'transform' themselves into something they consider cool, eg blatantly copying conceptual artists in 'pretending' themselves as philosophers when in reality they are far from philosophers.

People are generally less genuine and more and more like parodies, fooling themselves into looking and talking like the persona of those they admire instead of developing their own personalities and style.

How such behaviour is affecting their long term development goodness only knows. In the workplace I have seen it turning people onto idiots talking only in soundbites, lacking the attention span to actually listen to anything worth listening to.

Essentially it is a step closer to making people more like robots, void of any real cohesion as a society and only concerned about their own egos and vanity, it has gradually worn down the trust levels and actual bonding that normal person to person interaction involves.

If there should be any sort of revolution it should be against complacency about the way society is heading, first and foremost is the realisation that it needs fixing.

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I have a facebook account but rarely get on it unless my wife insists i go on and comment on her post about something.

Her social interaction is Via facebook and I cant knock her for it. If that is what makes her feel connected to people then fine.

I have noticed that now when we go on trips it has become more about taking pictures of us where we are and not about actually visiting the place. We get there, spend such a short amount of time...take pictures and then rush home to post them on facebook and then the refresh button gets pushed a million times waiting for people to acknowledge our awesome world travel experiences......

Secondly, why do people get so upset about what people post on facebook? My wife will come to me absolutely furious or hurt or whatever because someone posted something.....I find that to be very.......interesting.. I just tell her "It's Facebook" /sigh.

Anyway...yeah.

-Atcgod

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
No one forced me to use facebook or ATS or any other social media. I'm here by choice. Facebook is the only way I keep in touch with old school or work friends or my nurses from hospital. Who cares? Use it or don't use it. The Internet is pretty big.

While it may be true that no one forces us now, and that it is still a choice, with each subsequent generation, it becomes more obvious that forcing is occurring (both physical...i.e. you must provide your name and number) and mental (i.e. you're going to miss out on things if you do not subscribe).

Right now we still have people who remember that there is a choice. One day, that may not be the case and our children's children may be issued an online identity at birth along with or in place of a social security card.

But you're right. How much of your identity you wish to give away or modify is up to you. Right now anyway.
edit on 10/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Just to say the problem is not facebook. It's the way you use it.
Even here ppl have «egos» the question is always about your conduct towards your "neighbor".

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join