It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real or Myth: There's a system of "prejudice" against white Americans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If you care to discuss this, let's remember there are two definitions for the word "prejudice," and the difference is not obvious:

1. An unjustifiable negative attitude, belief, or statement about a whole group of people.

2. bias based on opinion

Every single human being is "prejudiced" if by prejudiced you mean biased. We each have subjective experiences that form a preference for understanding the world. We each have different levels of proficiencies. We've been influenced by different books, by unique teachers, and by courses of study. This leads inevitably to a bias, and even the most ardent empiricist who believes in objectivity must still observe the world through his or her own eyes. If you use the word "prejudice" to mean "bias" in the following discussion, you will be misunderstood and unclear because we are each utterly "prejudiced" in this way.

However, the term "prejudice" in the question at hand refers to a much more narrow type of bias that is not simply based on having a negative attitude or making negative statements, it's when done in an overgeneralized and unjustifiable way that supposedly pertains to a whole group of people that share some common attribute, such as ethnicity or gender. This type of prejudice is derived from negative attitudes, but it's also the result of the language being used to express this attitude. Two people can have the same attitude about a group of people and only one makes a prejudiced statement. For example:

1. There are white people who encourage stereotypes when speaking about minority groups.

2. White people encourage stereotypes when speaking about minority groups.

The above statements do not mean the same thing, and the difference between them is that the second statement is a prejudiced statement. Because there is no "qualifier" before the term "white people," the statement can validly be understood to mean "all white people" in general, which would be unjustifiable. In cases like this, it's not the responsibility of the reader to know if the writer meant "a lot of white people," or "some white people," or "white people I know," or "the one white person I know who did this." Hence, language itself can be the source of prejudice if what you are saying is said in a way that is an overgeneralized negative statement about a whole group of people.

If you can't get past the problem of how language itself results in prejudiced statements, and you could care less how you express yourself because of something like "freedom of speech," please don't post something here unless you EXPECT to be confronted with negative replies.

So, given the preface above, I invite you to consider whether or not what some people in the USA are calling a widespread trend to be prejudiced toward white people. For reference, you can read this short article about it, which is a bit dated but is still relevant today:

Are whites racially oppressed?

There's a group of Caucasian (white) Americans who honestly believe their society encourages oppression against them. They believe that there is no longer a "white" majority because whites are now the victims of systemic racial prejudice through a variety of sources (laws, affirmative action, feminists, minority groups, etc.).

From the article, author Peter Brimelow says " 'Americans are trained to think that any explicit defense of white interests is 'racist.' " A radio show host, James Edwards, says, "Whatever mistakes might have been made in our pasts, they have not only been corrected, but they've been overcompensated for," so that apparently now "whites are victims of pervasive racism," which is manifested by a situation in which "Anything a white conservative does that a liberal doesn't like is called racism." Interestingly, as author Tim Wise put it: "This racial unease is more pronounced among older white Americans, who grew up in an era where America's icons were virtually all white..."

I have read at ATS already the notion that younger people have been "indoctrinated" when it comes to what is and what is not prejudice, and that prejudice against white people has become institutionalized. So, there are people at ATS who agree that white Americans have generally become the victims of persecution. Are these people spreading a myth?--perhaps struggling with personal issues and experiences that don't quite add up to a whole system of prejudice against white Americans? Or, is it an accurate statement to say that whites are racially oppressed?

edit on -05:00America/Chicago31Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:48:41 -0500201441312 by Petros312 because: Addition

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I haven't really encountered any prejudice against me as a white American. In fact I feel that I receive preferential treatment; economically, culturally, in education and opportunities available to me.

I live in a very culturally mixed environment with 1/2 Hispanic, Native Americans, and Anglos.

I certainly don't feel oppressed!

On the other hand, I am prejudiced. I take prejudice to mean "pre judge" .... I "pre judge" everyone on their fashion sense, hair style and choice of accessories.

edit on 28-10-2014 by olaru12 because: ,]g908pok

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Petros312

Its a division tactic. TPTB know that united we stand divided we fall. Divide and conquer my friends. They certainly couldnt allow blacks and whites to work together to undermind what our masters have put on us.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

1. There are white people who encourage stereotypes when speaking about minority groups.

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I say the media encourages stereotypes when they speak about "Radical Islam", "Muslim Extremists", or "Jihadists".

I should be saying, there are some main stream media outlets that encourage this prejudices.

Wait, don't they all? Whoops, there I go again.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I had one white friend from Utah that would be treated crappily down here in south florida if he didn't speak spanish when he went to a store.

I'm hispanic white and have been called a cracker before because I spoke english well.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Bias goes in every direction it seems.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Ideologically?
Yes.
It's a specific sociopolitical motivation and is legislated in several ways.

Media wise? (The love child of big money and politics.)
Depends on where you get your news and entertainment.

Individually?
Not really.
Individual people seem to be more realistic and open in their methods of dealing with each other.

There are, of course, isolated and regional/cultural exceptions.
These are just my general impressions.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am apart of one of the most hated subgroups of all, the white police officer.

I am judged on a daily basis. Look no further than ATS to verify that.

So in uniform I get, pig, swine, troll, fascist, nazi, gestapo, racist, etc

Not in uniform it is honky, a cracka, a white devil, and a wood.

That being said I am sure it is mostly due to being a police officer. I am sure nobody really hates me because I am white...

edit on 28-10-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't think that it is a myth. In both the US and UK we have a constant barrage of multiculturalism being thrown at us from television and internet and government and so on.

It is something of a soft slow genocide. In the US they have invented "white priveledge" to guilt me into feeling bad about a perception of other races and cultures that I never harbored. I'm not prejudiced or biased. I married a woman of Hispanic and american Indian descent, but I'm not blind either.

It seems to be okay for every culture in the world to make a country and preserve their heritage, Palestinians aside, but if white people want to preserve anything we are racist. Putin is about the only leader who has broached this topic that I know of.

Why do we have to make concessions for every little offense, when if it were us visiting these cultures countries, we obey the law of the land or pay dearly.

Just my opinion. Nothing against coexistence.

Boba

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

The actions of your brothers in arms is the cause for you to be judged. Im sorry the bad ones ruin it for all.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've seen racists of every race. They do seem to be, for the most part, a minority.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Interesting that this gets brought up today.
A co-worker has a teenage daughter. I was surprised by the story she told me this morning.
They are white. The daughter has a non white boyfriend. They have been having problems. The daughter went out to his home, to talk to him.
Well, the mother, who speaks no english, had her daughter translate. Basically, all of the sons problems, his attitude, everything, were because his girlfriend is white. Turned out the mother is extremely prejudice against white people.
So it does go on.

And the boy is now "grounded" from the girl. That he rides the same bus, goes to school with.....
BTW, they are high school age.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

edit on 28-10-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: Forget it. I am beginning to truly hate people. A society collapse cannot come soon enough. I will be waiting.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

No it is not fair to judge individuals by groups they fall into, thats profiling,

which is done everyday!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that white people are getting targeted. I'd say that white males are getting targeted.

Someone calls me a honky, cracker, fishbelly, or anything other racial insult, it's fine. I say anything back, I'm racist.

My "privilege" needs to get checked wherever I go according to some feminists/social justice warriors.

What is that privilege? It the privilege of being the most likely to get hurt or die in a workplace accident, the privilege of being unable to get adequate mental health help, the privilege of being turned away from homeless shelters and domestic abuse shelters (A man could NEVER get psychically or mentally abused), the privilege of being sent off against my will to fight in a foreign land, the privilege of being unfairly treated by the legal system, and the privilege of being blamed for every bad thing ever done in history against a non white group.

Sure seems like the odds are stacked if you think about it. Just for being a certain skin color in America now, you can get free education, free job training, free healthcare, and free food. My mom making 36k a year before taxes only qualified for partial food stamps. My black friend's mom across town made 38K a year before taxes and she had 100% food stamps. He told me how when the check would come in, they would get 100 bucks worth of fast food and 150 bucks worth of groceries and the rest were spent on Jordans and new purses. The goddamn local government paid for their rent. Why couldn't I get the same treatment? My skin color.

If you don't think a prejudice exists against white males by the government of the US and Canada, you are sadly mistaken

Maybe we should just accept that people in the past were racist and huge a holes and just make everything equal for everyone.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

The bottom line is that, yes, because 'white guilt' or 'political correctness' or both or other similar things, our society has knee-jerk reacted so quickly and so broadly and so completely with laws (affirmative action) and social rights and wrongs that the table has been turned and white people are on a lot of the receiving end, now.

Of course, we're just talking about prejudice, which isn't the same as racism or violence, so don't start comparing horses to hot-air balloons--I'm only talking about prejudices that are now fostered and seemingly state-backed that create many more problems than they propose to fix.

In a nation that supposedly prides itself on all laws being applied equally, we sure have a f**ked up way of showing it sometimes. Political Correctness prohibits applying laws--scratch that, it prohibits even applying evidence and data equally because of race or economic status or whatever. Hell, look at what's happening in Ferguson, MO, right now. All actual evidence indicates that the officer (white) did nothing wrong in his actions of using deadly force against an assailant (black), but we have an entire community riotting, getting violent, and even video of black citizens attacking a white guy just because he's white. Black Panther members pacing in front of the entrance to a polling station with bats in their hands intimidating votes (presumably trying to stop white voters), and our federal government doesn't even investigate the issue, let alone prosecute anyone. We have national leaders saying that requiring ID to vote is akin to a polling tax, yet the same IDs are required to get welfare, or apply for jobs, or drive a vehicle, pick up some medicatoins.

We are living in the midst of a clusterf**k, and my only wish is that laws were applied equally. This pendulum swing back and forth between laws being prejudiced against blacks to prejudice against whites is toxic to our society. Let's actually try seeing people instead of skin color for once as a nation and see where that gets us, eh? We've definitely come a long way collectively in doing so, but there is a lot of room to better ourselves, on all sides of the prejudicial dice.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
There is definitely anti-white prejudice among individuals and institutions. How prevalent? That seems to be a matter of opinion. Some don't believe it's possible. Some think it's justified. Some people find prejudice against them at every turn so, OTOH, it may be overblown and exaggerated as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mrpotatoe27
I wouldn't say that white people are getting targeted. I'd say that white males are getting targeted.

Someone calls me a honky, cracker, fishbelly, or anything other racial insult, it's fine. I say anything back, I'm racist.

My "privilege" needs to get checked wherever I go according to some feminists/social justice warriors.

What is that privilege? It the privilege of being the most likely to get hurt or die in a workplace accident, the privilege of being unable to get adequate mental health help, the privilege of being turned away from homeless shelters and domestic abuse shelters (A man could NEVER get psychically or mentally abused), the privilege of being sent off against my will to fight in a foreign land, the privilege of being unfairly treated by the legal system, and the privilege of being blamed for every bad thing ever done in history against a non white group.

Sure seems like the odds are stacked if you think about it. Just for being a certain skin color in America now, you can get free education, free job training, free healthcare, and free food. My mom making 36k a year before taxes only qualified for partial food stamps. My black friend's mom across town made 38K a year before taxes and she had 100% food stamps. He told me how when the check would come in, they would get 100 bucks worth of fast food and 150 bucks worth of groceries and the rest were spent on Jordans and new purses. The goddamn local government paid for their rent. Why couldn't I get the same treatment? My skin color.

If you don't think a prejudice exists against white males by the government of the US and Canada, you are sadly mistaken

Maybe we should just accept that people in the past were racist and huge a holes and just make everything equal for everyone.

There are parts of your story that don't ring true or, perhaps, are incomplete. I believe food stamp benefits take into account how many people are in the family and living expenses (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I also remember reading that food stamps can't be used for prepared, hot food, which would rule out most fast food.

I think you're mostly just feeling sorry for yourself and skin color has nothing to do with it. I say that because you mixed in a number of things having nothing to do with skin color (ie. gender, mental health care, and serving in combat zones. As for the latter, I think the percentage of non-whites is higher than the percentage of whites per population).

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
NO it's just a fad with the first black man in the White House,and the fact HE himself is an activist. ONCE he goes the skin thing will fade and we can get back to just all being Americans again.

HIS policies aren't any system they just USE the system like everybody ELSE has. Every POTUS does it.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I had one white friend from Utah that would be treated crappily down here in south florida if he didn't speak spanish when he went to a store.

I'm hispanic white and have been called a cracker before because I spoke english well.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Bias goes in every direction it seems.

He shouldn't have to speak Spanish going to any store!

edit on 28-10-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There is not a system of prejudice against whites.

That system is geared towards minorities, and is what is known and well studied as institutionalized or structural racism.

All people as far as psychology goes are capable of prejudice or racism, if one defines that as stereotyping, having a negative attitude about, or acting negatively towards a whole group or an individual due to membership in that group.

However, to have a systemic or "institutionalized" racism, that racism has to be present in the laws, hiring systems, socioeconomic mobility, representation, and so on. This can only be seen at least in the US (and Europe) against minority groups. The judicial, legal, housing, and economic systems are both consciously and unconsciously biased against minorities, especially African Americans. That is from slavery in the past to housing laws that were actively prejudiced against blacks in certain areas.

Having said that, what frustrates me is that the so called progressive dialogue, while true on the points I just said, has become so poisonous and almost reactionary that it is now acceptable for minorities or some whites to themselves make prejudicial statements about all whites and or act prejudiced towards random whites due to their membership in that race. I find this to be just as offensive and ignorant, being part of the very problem they are complaining about.

However, again, that in no way is as hard as the people who are facing institutionalized racism or prejudice have it. AND, many of these people are angry for valid reasons.

originally posted by: Petros312
If you care to discuss this, let's remember there are two definitions for the word "prejudice," and the difference is not obvious:

1. An unjustifiable negative attitude, belief, or statement about a whole group of people.

2. bias based on opinion

Every single human being is "prejudiced" if by prejudiced you mean biased. We each have subjective experiences that form a preference for understanding the world. We each have different levels of proficiencies. We've been influenced by different books, by unique teachers, and by courses of study. This leads inevitably to a bias, and even the most ardent empiricist who believes in objectivity must still observe the world through his or her own eyes. If you use the word "prejudice" to mean "bias" in the following discussion, you will be misunderstood and unclear because we are each utterly "prejudiced" in this way.

However, the term "prejudice" in the question at hand refers to a much more narrow type of bias that is not simply based on having a negative attitude or making negative statements, it's when done in an overgeneralized and unjustifiable way that supposedly pertains to a whole group of people that share some common attribute, such as ethnicity or gender. This type of prejudice is derived from negative attitudes, but it's also the result of the language being used to express this attitude. Two people can have the same attitude about a group of people and only one makes a prejudiced statement. For example:

The above statements do not mean the same thing, and the difference between them is that the second statement is a prejudiced statement. Because there is no "qualifier" before the term "white people," the statement can validly be understood to mean "all white people" in general, which would be unjustifiable. In cases like this, it's not the responsibility of the reader to know if the writer meant "a lot of white people," or "some white people," or "white people I know," or "the one white person I know who did this." Hence, language itself can be the source of prejudice if what you are saying is said in a way that is an overgeneralized negative statement about a whole group of people.

If you can't get past the problem of how language itself results in prejudiced statements, and you could care less how you express yourself because of something like "freedom of speech," please don't post something here unless you EXPECT to be confronted with negative replies.

So, given the preface above, I invite you to consider whether or not what some people in the USA are calling a widespread trend to be prejudiced toward white people. For reference, you can read this short article about it, which is a bit dated but is still relevant today:

Are whites racially oppressed?

There's a group of Caucasian (white) Americans who honestly believe their society encourages oppression against them. They believe that there is no longer a "white" majority because whites are now the victims of systemic racial prejudice through a variety of sources (laws, affirmative action, feminists, minority groups, etc.).

From the article, author Peter Brimelow says " 'Americans are trained to think that any explicit defense of white interests is 'racist.' " A radio show host, James Edwards, says, "Whatever mistakes might have been made in our pasts, they have not only been corrected, but they've been overcompensated for," so that apparently now "whites are victims of pervasive racism," which is manifested by a situation in which "Anything a white conservative does that a liberal doesn't like is called racism." Interestingly, as author Tim Wise put it: "This racial unease is more pronounced among older white Americans, who grew up in an era where America's icons were virtually all white..."

I have read at ATS already the notion that younger people have been "indoctrinated" when it comes to what is and what is not prejudice, and that prejudice against white people has become institutionalized. So, there are people at ATS who agree that white Americans have generally become the victims of persecution. Are these people spreading a myth?--perhaps struggling with personal issues and experiences that don't quite add up to a whole system of prejudice against white Americans? Or, is it an accurate statement to say that whites are racially oppressed?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join