It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extending OP Edit Period on Exception Basis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Is there a way, for great compilation threads on rapidly evolving changes, that there could be an exception granted to the 4-hour edit window to allow the OP to be updated?

Example: U.S. Monitoring / Quarantine status updates by State

This could be an exception granted by moderator agreement maybe, with some guidelines and a notification to the OP.

This would make it so much easier to keep track of things and eliminate multitudes of threads on the same thing.

Or not. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
edit on 10/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
nvm…
edit on 28-10-2014 by intrptr because: redacted portion

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I see the problem you mentioned, Uhmm edited away, but adding to the OP of a thread could be useful.
When you research an old thread it is sometimes hard to get to the conclusions made and so from a research point of view it would be nice if they would be Added in the OP. (I am aware of the pro's and con's on this matter.)
So what about an extended window to "Add stuff" instead of "Edit stuff".
edit on 28-10-2014 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Is it actually 4 hours?

It may say 4 hours but I think it's actually shorter...

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

You can add updates to your threads any time. When you do, this "bumps" the thread, bringing it again to the fore front on the "recent posts" and "live page" features of ATS. You can further rekindle interest by private messaging those you want to participate or replying directly to them in your thread in an effort to bring them back. Their input also "bumps" the thread.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Dumbass

You can add updates to your threads any time. When you do, this "bumps" the thread, bringing it again to the fore front on the "recent posts" and "live page" features of ATS. You can further rekindle interest by private messaging those you want to participate or replying directly to them in your thread in an effort to bring them back. Their input also "bumps" the thread.

This is not about appending updates to the thread, which wind up maybe 20 or 30 or 40 pages away from the original thread post, and it is not about bumping a thread.

Yeah, so think adding to the original post not to thread.

Maybe looking at the example thread I posted would help me explain this.

Suppose 10 more states jump in, but the thread tomorrow already has 100 pages. The original poster has no way to add those 10 states, and maybe 20 people on pages 34-45 mentioned this and 30 more mentioned it again.

Just a whole lotta churn and no easy way to find stuff. I hate churn.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
a reply to: intrptr

I see the problem you mentioned, Uhmm edited away, but adding to the OP of a thread could be useful.
When you research an old thread it is sometimes hard to get to the conclusions made and so from a research point of view it would be nice if they would be Added in the OP. (I am aware of the pro's and con's on this matter.)

Right...and edit may not even be the thing...maybe it could be like an append/amendment box that attaches to the original OP.

a reply to: Riffrafter
Sometimes it seems like one hour. Other times like 6. I don't know.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Is it actually 4 hours?

It may say 4 hours but I think it's actually shorter...

It's something like 2 hours instead of 4 hours.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Yeah, so think adding to the original post not to thread.

I get your point. Personally, I wouldn't keep checking the OP to see if its updated. Updates appear on the internet and new threads are started about it.

Ain't forums grand?

link   
I believe it used to be this way many moons ago,

then someone edited a thread and made it look like they predicted 911

FBI got involved .. etc etc , and it was made the way it is now...

I see your point about getting mod permission , but then the mods would be swamped with people requesting to update their OP..

Unless we had a dedicated mod for such things....

Q

edit on 28/10/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

link   

Ain't forums grand?

No.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel

FBI got involved .. etc etc , and it was mad the way it is now...

I see your point about getting mod permission , but then the mods would be swamped with people requesting to update their OP..

Q

That's why maybe a separate box up top could work. For newcomers to the thread.

I know that in my particular example, I would love to have it all, all the states, up front, not having to wade through every page and ever post to get updates. But that's me and I've always been weird.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Ain't forums grand?

No.

Thats a personal choice of how to pick up on stuff. Since this site is more "breaking and trending" these days, and I don't spend as much time as others here, my first stop is the front page and new threads. That way I pick up on the latest news in the world. Updates as well.

I noticed over time that often it appears on ATS before its in the main stream.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have had great success asking a mod to update an OP before for me. Not ideal sure, but I don't see there being many cases where it would be appropriate to edit an OP a long time after though. Could be abused by trolls and such, make an OP say one thing, then come along and change it say something completely different, making the responses to the thread look like they are smoking crack or something lol
edit on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:01:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel

FBI got involved .. etc etc , and it was mad the way it is now...

Q

That's why maybe a separate box up top could work. For newcomers to the thread.

I know that in my particular example, I would love to have it all, all the states, up front, not having to wade through every page and ever post to get updates. But that's me and I've always been weird.

I agree, as the OP of a post your additional thoughts often get lost in the bombardment of different opinions, derailing and general abuse. and it would be nice to update the OP to keep future info in one place,

This has been discussed before numerous times though .. and yet still in 2014 , we are on a timer..

Q

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
It's something like 2 hours instead of 4 hours.

Yes, there's a little message above the Edit box which tells you exactly how much time you have left to edit. This appears to count down from 120 minutes.
2 hours, then. It looks as though someone was absent-minded enough to calculate on the basis of thirty-minute hours.
edit on 28-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I like the idea of the OP having the option to use a separate window box for updates. That keeps the date/time working correctly, the OP honest in their changes, and the front page of the thread accurate. Even if there is not space to put the entire OP update, a link to a new post that contains all updates further in the thread would also work.

peace,
AB

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard
Thanks to you and everyone. Maybe someday...

new topics

top topics

join