It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I figured out god talking to my 5 year old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So I think I may have finally figured out the whole god thing. I had a moment. I was talking to my daughter, who may have strep throat this morning. She's 5. I told her she could stay home from school. I also have a one year old getting over Croup, and a mother in law watching both of them this morning, because, well, ya gotta work.

So I was in the shower and I came out to loud music and my daughter jumping around, I (with a little more moody then I should, because I haven't slept well in days) gave her the business and told her to cut it out, she's sick (tylyonol must be kicking in). She also ran in the bathroom once and got sick in between the jumping while I was in the shower, didn't now why. Now mom in law doesn't know the word no. Hopefully I am painting the picture correctly.... I get dressed, in the bedroom, and then call my daughter in to have a talk with her.

Honey, I have to go to work now, and I may not be able to watch you, but you know who is?

"who daddy?"

(I point upstairs)

"Spiderman?"

"no honey not spiderman, the man upstairs.."

"like in the lego movie?"

"no honey, the other man upstairs."

"Who daddy?"

"God..."

"oh I was going to guess him next..."

and at that moment, I figured out god...

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Yet, you're the one who tried "forcing" her kid into submission with the help of "god"?

Revelations, indeed!

No offense, I just think there are better ways.

edit on 28-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What did you figure out? I'm afraid I don't get the connection.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

I agree whole heartedly it was all I could think of 15 minutes late to work and knowing my frail mother in law who was watching her would let her do whatever she wanted all day long, and wouldn't tell me squat.

edit on 28-10-2014 by Vaedur because: Added a bit

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The whole purpose of the invention of organized religion pretty much.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vaedur
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

I agree whole heartedly it was all I could think of 15 minutes late to work and knowing my frail mother in law who was watching her would let her do whatever she wanted all day long, and wouldn't tell me squat.

Well at least that's something, but I still can't comprehend why you use it too then?

Spanking your kids was an accepted/approved parenting technique for decades and longer, yet, knowing TODAY what it can do to a childs psyche, I would never lay a hand on my children.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all implying you do, but saying you know the "scam" that religion was used for, to then apply it to your offspring, raises questions in my mind!

After all, it's you that taught her the concept of an overlooking and even punishing god in this case, no?

No harm done though I think, but I did want to point out the irony that struck me.

Besides, if parents want to raise their children like that who am I to stop them or tell them otherwise! Unless they are trying to make a point about the organised religion they themselves misuse, of course

Edit: oh and I do realise this is not an easy subject to talk to kids about so I understand!

editby]edit on 28-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vaedur
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The whole purpose of the invention of organized religion pretty much.

Ah! I see. Thank you for the explanation. I feel silly, especially after NoNameNeeded obviously got it.

So, now that you know the purpose of god and religion (a false means of control and manipulation), will you continue to use it on your daughter? Maybe you should either have a serious talk with your MIL about rules and such, or get someone else to watch your daughter...

Great realization, though!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That's what Father Christmas/ Santa is for. You don't want to end up on his naughty list!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyTrick

I think next time using Santa might be a better idea! LOL. I know that what I did wasn't exactly correct. This might be my way of "confessing my sins".

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Religion sacred me so much as a child. I refused to indoctrinate my child so I explained reincarnation to him at an early age so he wouldnt be scared of death like I was I was so terrified of death and hell as a child i needed many years of therapy to get over it in my teens and I dont intend to teach him any religion at all I will let him find out about it on his own if he chooses too, This makes my family angry and my wifes family they are all religious but i know how horribly it affected my childhood and i dont wish that opon anyone exspecially my child.

Now "Santa is watching" I use but never religion.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: pez1975

I was angry and distrusting of my parents for YEARS after I found out they'd been lying to me about Santa. Just FYI.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: pez1975

I was angry and distrusting of my parents for YEARS after I found out they'd been lying to me about Santa. Just FYI.

Me too! Still am actually, lol. I knew they were lying right away and never believed them..... then years later after keeping up the charade, and finding out they WERE lying, I was furious!

I felt from the start they were being lying manipulators, and it was wrong.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join