It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Year Old Hospitalized In NYC With Possible Ebola Symptoms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Link to Source

WASHINGTON, Oct 27 (Reuters) - A 5-year-old boy who arrived from Guinea was being observed in isolation at Bellevue Hospital in New York City for possible Ebola symptoms, media reports said on Monday.

The boy, who arrived in the United States on Saturday, had a 103 degree Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius) fever, ABC News reported. He has not been tested for the virus and was not under quarantine, ABC said, citing officials with New York City's health department.

The New York Post said the boy had been vomiting and was transported from his home in the Bronx by emergency medical workers.

Representatives for the city's health department could not be reached immediately for comment.

Just woke up to this. . . wonderful!
I'm so glad they have a grip on this, but again after the fact. From what I heard on the news he was sick and vomiting before the ambulance ride. Information is coming in, I'll post it as soon as I can.

Be right back getting ready to put kids on the bus, AB
edit on 10/27/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Before reading the thread I thought courteous of our responsible doctor, but upon reading saw he was from out of country. Either way ebola or not 103 is a very scary temp for sure especially for a little one.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

It always hits me more in the gut when it is a child suffering...I sincerely hope the wee one recovers, and quickly.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It is most likely Ebola.

You don't get a fever of 103 with the common flu

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
He returned from Guinea, just like Craig Spencer. It's very possible he has it, poor kid!!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
And this is why travel restrictions absolutely won't work.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It says they're returning from Guinea, which means they don't live there. So why would you take a child to Guinea, one of the hardest hit countries with Ebola?
edit on 27-10-2014 by texasgirl because: Reworded

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The story says he's not in quarantine and he's not been tested for ebola. A fever of 103 can be had with the flu .. my daughter had a fever of 104 with the flu when she was about that age. If they thought he had it, they'd have him quarantined and they'd be running ebola blood tests ...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It also very possible he doesnt have it but rather one of the probably 50+ (thinking off the top of my head) conditions that would fit his medical symptoms and epidemiological history (although thats very limit at the moment and could be changed drastically depending on what the parents have to say)
Either way as someone else said ebola or not hope he is doing better by the time i wake up for work.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Why you say that, children fever is always higher than adults

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
If it is positive, it means the child has touched a object or person or inhaled in close proximity of someone with Ebola. Parents most likely would have tried to keep him away from infected zones. So the virus is pervasive.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Biotech2024

Thats a huge non sequitur to say that because a child got infected its somehow more pervasive than what we know it to be.
Why would that be the case?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The story says he's not in quarantine and he's not been tested for ebola. A fever of 103 can be had with the flu .. my daughter had a fever of 104 with the flu when she was about that age. If they thought he had it, they'd have him quarantined and they'd be running ebola blood tests ...

CNN interviewed the CEO connected to Bellevue hospital and he said the child was being tested and we would know in a few hours. That's what I heard, anyway.
edit on 27-10-2014 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

When i had the flu i had 103 fever for 5 days and was almost put in the hospital because of it. :/ But.... why cant they take the antibodies from that survivors blood, and replicate them to make a vaccine? but based on his past travel history is probably is ebola
I pray for the little one.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rcyJones
a reply to: Biotech2024

Thats a huge non sequitur to say that because a child got infected its somehow more pervasive than what we know it to be.
Why would that be the case?

As a parent I would do everything possible to keep my child away from high probability situations that could lead to inoculation with Ebola. So if the parents did attempt that and he still contacted it. Than it means the virus is pervasive in the country they traveled to or contacted virus on route in plane back to USA.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: codythatkid

but based on his past travel history is probably is ebola I pray for the little one.

Or malaria, or any other viral infection, i think ebola dint replace them all over there, most cases of possible ebola so far have been negative

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: codythatkid

What do we know of his travel history other than he has been to Guinea? Just been in the country doesn't automatically give you EVD but listing the country when you're sick will automatically make you suspected EVD as per public health guidelines. There is a huge difference between suspected EVD and confirmed EVD.

But hey if we want to panic then we should just lock him and his parents in a tent in the parking lot and if they're all still alive in 3 weeks we let them out.

From the very limited information we have its more likely not EVD than it is EVD

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

His parents are being quarantined. I posted an article from New York post on the "NY patient has Ebola" thread. And he actually is being tested for Ebola.

Let's hope he's negative!
edit on 27-10-2014 by texasgirl because: punctuation error

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I hope the little one doesn't have it. It is very sad to think that a baby may have Ebola. But high fevers ARE common in little ones. This could be a virus of some sort.
If they are quarenting our DR and Nurses who return from Guinea, why are they NOT quarantining everyone and checking their fever twice a day? Maybe he was self quarantined, and the parents were checking him twice a day. Either way this has to be very scary and upsetting for the family.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
ABC News Link

A 5-year-old boy is under observation at New York City's Bellevue Hospital this morning after experiencing a 103-degree fever after returning home from Guinea Saturday, prompting Ebola concerns, officials told ABC News.

The boy is in isolation, but has not been tested for Ebola and is not under quarantine, the city's health department said.

I guess the procedures are different in these cases - isolation but not quarantined?
I wonder if they mean they didn't put him in the tent setup the nurse is freaking out about. I know hospitals have isolation rooms for kids like this in the PICU but I also thought that would be technically considered quarantined.

I wish there were easy definitions of the procedures such as a CDC handbook with definitive guidelines available. Instead this all seems done on the seat-of-their-pants method.

And why wouldn't they test him, that's seems like a given in these cases?
edit on 10/27/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join