It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox Host Tells Supermodel To Shut Up About Gun Control – ‘You Have A Nice Bottom…Stick To That

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

I'm sorry but most people are not experts in anything other than Jack and well that other thing. The actual concept of how one develops expertise or to have mastery to the level of expertise in any given subject was to have 10,000 hours of practice in it. For most people, myself included, that means we're all probably experts at blowing our noses and using the toilet (though I sometimes question male skill with that lol).

Opinions don't require expertise. They just require a mouth or fingers (if typing) and a somewhat functioning brain to state. Just like your opinion or mine on this thread. It's as relevant or irrelevant as the reader makes it. Is it sexist to say she should stick to modelling? No but it's also basically stating that she can only tweet an opinion about modelling. What do you do for a living? If you're going to avoid hypocrisy, perhaps you should stick to voicing your opinions on things that only are involved with your own career?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

I'm sorry but most people are not experts in anything other than Jack and well that other thing. The actual concept of how one develops expertise or to have mastery to the level of expertise in any given subject was to have 10,000 hours of practice in it. For most people, myself included, that means we're all probably experts at blowing our noses and using the toilet (though I sometimes question male skill with that lol).

Opinions don't require expertise. They just require a mouth or fingers (if typing) and a somewhat functioning brain to state. Just like your opinion or mine on this thread. It's as relevant or irrelevant as the reader makes it. Is it sexist to say she should stick to modelling? No but it's also basically stating that she can only tweet an opinion about modelling. What do you do for a living? If you're going to avoid hypocrisy, perhaps you should stick to voicing your opinions on things that only are involved with your own career?

She can have all the opinions she wants, and voice them.

In turn, others can have opinions of her opinions.

The hypocrisy is that she uses her gain in life, modeling which is her using her body to sell stuff, as the platform to make statements relevant. And people cry foul when this is basically pointed out.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Okay so you're going back on what you said in the post that I replied to know and say that "yes, she can have an opinion on matters outside of the context of her career". Now, however, you are saying that she used her status as a model to be a platform to make her statements relevant. So now, because she's famous, she is not allowed to have or voice an opinion?

Come on, seriously? Does having a little fame (I have no clue who she is nor do I care) mean that suddenly, you lose your First Amendment right to voice your opinion or use social media?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

At what point did I state she had no right to voice her opinion??

You have confused the "She should stick with what she knows" with "She isn't allowed to say that".

See, we can ALL have opinions, on peoples opinions.

She can speak her mind all day. But, when she does, just because she is female or any other reason, doesn't mean she is not subject to being criticized.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

And actually, US laws don't apply as she is not a US citizen.

SOOOO....

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The hypocrisy is that she uses her gain in life, modeling which is her using her body to sell stuff, as the platform to make statements relevant.

Just because someone is relatively (questionably--like I said, no clue who this girl is) famous, doesn't mean that any opinion that they brandish on twitter is being used as a platform. Making a statement like that is, imho, very much like saying that they shouldn't give any opinions because they're using their position as a platform. That's not always true. If we were talking about Matt Damon, then yeah, he absolutely does and quite openly. I even question what kind of "platform" she actually had. I have honestly no freaking clue who she is so I don't personally find her "famous" at all.

We're agreed that she can be criticized for an opinion but not everything a person says regardless of the amount of fame should be declared as being using said fame as a platform. Why her gender would protect her from criticism is beyond me. My argument is simply that every person has the right to the opinion and the right to voice it but voicing it does not immediately equate to platforming if the person has any sort of fame. Their intention is most likely just like yours or mine---to state their opinion.

People are people.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

And actually, US laws don't apply as she is not a US citizen.

SOOOO....

Yeah but you were going off about her opinion before you knew that otherwise you would've stated that earlier. Admit it--you don't know who the hell this girl is either, lol.

edit on 29/10/14 by WhiteAlice because: clarification

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Indeed.

Without the 2nd, there would be none.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

And again, for about the 10th time, I never stated she was not entitled to her opinion or to voice it.

It was moronic, ill timed and pretty low. But, all her's.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I knew she was Canadian from the get go.

Didn't think it was necessary to state she, and her opinion are not protected by US law. With that being common sense, and a given, I assumed it was not required to point out.

But hey, thanks for believing you know what I was thinking. I appreciate that.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
Without the 2nd, there would be no 1st.

Exactly. Well said.

It's annoying to me when people in other countries attempt to tell us what we need in America. We are the most powerful nation on Earth. We'll make our own decisions, thank you very much. In this case, we're entitled to gun ownership & without it, we would be like the UK.

No thanks.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mensa180

originally posted by: WP4YT
Without the 2nd, there would be no 1st.

Exactly. Well said.

It's annoying to me when people in other countries attempt to tell us what we need in America. We are the most powerful nation on Earth. We'll make our own decisions, thank you very much. In this case, we're entitled to gun ownership & without it, we would be like the UK.

No thanks.
It may be a comfort to know that a good part of the civilised world is thankful it is not like the US. Perspective is everything. Meanwhile, if you're going to participate in an international forum, you are going to get international commentary. May as well get used to it.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join