It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beards

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I know it is a huge stretch of imagination, but I was wondering if there was some kind of conspiracy behind facial hair. I mean, most of the jewish prophets (even Jesus) are conventionally portrayed having beards. Zeus had a beard. Druids and wizards are also conventionally portrayed having long flowing beards. Muslims are commended on having beards. Sikhs are not supposed to cut their hair, and as a result have long beards. Correct me if I am wrong, but even Rabbis have beards. I mean, there has to be a better reason than that people look dignified and intelligent with beards.
Any theories? Does anyone have information on this? Or is it just coincidence?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In dream interpretation the longer your beard is the more wise you are...

Make of it what you will

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In the Old Testament, Samson's power was in his hair. Maybe beards signify something similar.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
They didnt have shaving cream back then and it hurt like hell to shave so they didnt

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have a beard and yes we are a secret society with plans to control the world

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Now why did you have to go and tell Everyone!!!! Do Goatees Count?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK

Originally posted by Amuk

Now why did you have to go and tell Everyone!!!! Do Goatees Count?

Our new members wear Goatees you have to prove yourself to get the full bread, But now I have said too much and must kill everyone.

Can yall post your addresses please?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hebrew Monks (Nazirite, Nazarite, Nazire�n, Nazare�n) kept there hair long, as a part of thier attire, or discipline.

www.2eden.net...

Sikhs keep there hair long, as it is a part of discipline to quite the ego other such worldy desires.

I am not sure about the rest.

Google always does wonders.

Deep

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think there is a simple answer to this

Man just imagine trying to shave with the blades they had back then no razor no scissors
ouch. Thats why everyone sported beards back in the day also I think it was a image of power and wisdom in peoples eyes back in the days.

People in Egypt had good tech for shaving back in the day though.As far back as the third century B.C. they invented scissors. Full beards were never big in Egypt.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
But lots of people shaved with blades. It was unfashionable in Europe for part of the Middle Ages to have a beard. People from Roman times at least, and probably before that had cleanshaven faces.
Thanks for reminding me about Egyptians. They took their "beard/goatee thing" as a big deal. There was one queen (Hajebsut?) who had all her images drawn with a beard (although that may only have been so that she would have been consideres equal to men)

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Because Allah (Subuhanu Wa T'ala) forbids men to shave to their beards. All His Messengers followed his Word. Therefore they all have beards. And that's why many religious figures (of all religions and sects), even today, have beards. There is only one God and his word applies to all Mankind.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Leviticus 21:5, "They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh"

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Some Rastafarian friends of mine explained to me the significance of the facial hair...

Leviticus 21:5, "They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh"

...that's why Marley never shaved, and Jesus I assume.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Slipknotsickness]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
lol....
It's a sign of manhood, just like chest hair/pubic hair....but it's the one you can show to the genral public.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I have a beard/Tash combo, with sideburns to boot. I also have a full chest of hair. The only benefit (apart from being part of the Secret Plot to take over the world) is that i do not get ID'd anymore when trying to buy beer.

I am 22, but still look quite young without my face fluff, so i have cultivated it into a masterpiece.

Makes a man of you, you know!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Dam, I just shaved off my goatee and stash, TODAY (I'm not used to wearing one and I got sick off pulling hairs out of my mouth). Now I can't be in on "it"...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Dam, I just shaved off my goatee and stash, TODAY (I'm not used to wearing one and I got sick off pulling hairs out of my mouth). Now I can't be in on "it"...

Forever forsaken yee shall be, for spurning your Bearded Brethren!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I cant stand a beard for some reason, I dont know why but it just dont feel right to me. A goatee is about all I can tolerate unless very short, I dont know how some people can rock those long ZZ Top beards.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I am a proud member of the bearded conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Only recently have we had the luxury of having sharp razors at our disposal -- every single day!!!

I hate shaving and find it to be occasionally painful. If it weren't for the modern razor -- and for my need to look civilized LOL -- then I would not shave!!!

Alas, I must shave to prevent myself from looking like a bum.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join