It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Charles Barkley, who has always been outspoken, let loose some very controversial comments.

Charles Barkley Slams

“For some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough,” Barkley said. “If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don't break the law, you're not a good black person.”

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Oct 26 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

That he did.

He is not wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

In this case, he's absolutely more right than he is wrong. The only issue seems to be that he wasn't playing by the PC rules everyone is expected to play by these days.

He called it like he saw it. Being in his position... He should know.

Those who don't like the message,may need to look at the reason why and not the messenger.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

What is so controversial ?

What he says is true, from a black perspective, especialy in inner cities.

We live in a time where its usualy uncool to be smart. Stupudity loves company.

Back in the day it was cool to have hobbies, and talk of science and politics, young people flocked to world fairs to see what was new and inspire imagination.

Somewhere along the line we have lost our priorities.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IntastellaBurst

Because the comments are directly against the PC narrative. How can the black community be controlled if the children start trying to do well in school and get interested in Math and Science.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Aaaahh yes,

It seems almost any true social commentary would be considered un-pc by mainstream media.

Only in a world so deluded does plain truth become subject of debate or controversy.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I know this may be disliked by many people, but, I think that this issue should be taken up by Michelle Obama. The reason I say this is because this would be in the best interest of her daughters. I can see her daughters growing up to be smart and successful and up being vilified by the under educated portion of black society. If Michelle Obama took up this cause to tell these people that they are hurting their society, then maybe some good can be done.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Bill Cosby did the same thing years ago and got a lot of backlash from the black community. When was the last time the black community recognized Dr. Condoleezza Rice, most likely never since she is not the stereotypical successful black person.

edit on 26-10-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: feldercarb
I can see her daughters growing up to be smart and successful and up being vilified by the under educated portion of black society. If Michelle Obama took up this cause to tell these people that they are hurting their society, then maybe some good can be done.

Does under educated mean unintelligent though? It's not the same thing to me, nor is it right to confuse the two.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

No, uneducated is not the same as unintelligent.

However misused or unrealized intelligence, is worse than both.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

It's cool to be stupid and act like a thug in high school. It's really unfortunate because some of these "successful black rappers" are glorifying a thugs life in their music." I see it everyday. a lot of these kids are intelligent, yet to be popular around their peers they dumb down and walk around with a chip on their shoulders. They're throwing their lives away because they refuse to apply themselves and because being apathetic to learning is cool! Another alarming secret is more and more white kids are imitating that same mentality and talk.

Good for Barkley, Cosby and others who have enough backbone to come out and tell the truth! At least they want to see a change for the good, instead of going along with a negative attitude expectation that is hurting their culture. I think most successful blacks and celebrities, don't want to talk about it for fear of a negative back-lash from the black population. Maybe if more would speak out, it may become a catalyst to help change the mind set of the young and future generations.
edit on 26-10-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My man Charles Barkley representing.

This has been known but rarely spoken of. Too much propaganda in our world? I dunno....

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IntastellaBurst
a reply to: smurfy

No, uneducated is not the same as unintelligent.

However misused or unrealized intelligence, is worse than both.

Would not disagree with that..history is full of it...through all cultures.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I agree!

I watched the BET Hip-Hop awards a few weeks ago ( purely for social commentary) and noticed which type of songs were being rewarded. Songs glorifying drug selling and promiscuity, as well as songs that talked about how well you could shoot a gun at another black man. And the audience bopped their heads along to it...

Plus I noticed that its cool for men to be feminine. Rapper "Young Thug" is notorious for this new trend, and wore a white mesh dress with ponytails in his performance with rapper "T.I."

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What's sad is that now Mr. Barkely will join in a host of other blacks who have dared to speak out against the dysfunction of the black community.

Bill Cosby went through it, even actress Staci Dash has been blasted for daring to be a Conservative.

Prevalent in the black community is the notion of "Group Think". If you are black and do not "toe- the-line", you are likely to be outcasted and attacked from other blacks.

Just yesterday I read where a preacher in Chicago was not only verbally attacked, but robbed and had his church broken into, all because of his public support of a Republican Candidate.

Black pastor attacked

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
ethics are practiced on the streets...learning about them thru the use of an institution is the parable?

"all I wanted was a pepsi"

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

Part of the conspiracy to confuse these young people. A double-whammy as it were, in that not only is the young man in question becoming gender-confused, but he is sending mixed signals to all the people listening, and watching his shows. Any wonder why so many of these people get burned out, and either wind up in rehab (most), or dead (everyone else)?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

Absolutely!

Not only in their image, but the music is full of it too. There is also a new tv show called "Drumline" I believe, on BET. The premier was on the other night and I watched along with my teenage son. It was boring at best, but then it got to a part where the students were at a party...

and 2 black teens, both male, kissed.

The next scene was as if nothing abnormal had just happened. I had to talk to my son and had him change the TV.

Charles Barley is right on so many different levels. Often, black parents (usually single mothers) will allow their young boys to watch Tyler Perry, a black man in a dress. Then he hears rappers on the radio who outright rap about violence and promiscuity. Women allow their young children to watch "Love and Hip Hop" and Niki Menaj. It all seems "innocent", until you begin to notice these behaviors within your children.
edit on 29-10-2014 by StarGazer77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: StarGazer77
What's sad is that now Mr. Barkely will join in a host of other blacks who have dared to speak out against the dysfunction of the black community.

Bill Cosby went through it, even actress Staci Dash has been blasted for daring to be a Conservative.

Prevalent in the black community is the notion of "Group Think". If you are black and do not "toe- the-line", you are likely to be outcasted and attacked from other blacks.

Just yesterday I read where a preacher in Chicago was not only verbally attacked, but robbed and had his church broken into, all because of his public support of a Republican Candidate.

Black pastor attacked

They're becoming more and more known for having a "mob mentality".

Coupled with a victim mentality it becomes very disheartening.

You wanna know why normal black people don't do more to change their communities? They get the hell out? As my brother from another mother says..."My people don't won't change; they want encouragement and acceptance of all the stupid # they do."

And they have the nerve to call him racist...and he's black. WTF?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

I must agree with you 150%

I get that same type of resentment all the time, being black and college educated. Can you imagine the looks and responses I get because of my support of Zimmerman during his trial, and now Officer Wilson? For most blacks, you are not to examine any 'facts' of the case. You are automatically defaulted to the black 'victim'.

You are so correct, just like Barkely stated. My 'type' talks about leaving and meeting new people. There is not much "how can we help them' sentiment, and I don't consider that being evil. It's living in reality. The reality is as you stated, that some people do not have any desire to change whatsoever. Its hard to watch genuine "saviors" come in to the black communities only to be mocked. The "saviors' need to truly know that one, it's not their fault (just like Barkely said), and two, there really are people who will never change.

new topics

top topics

join