It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West (Rainforest) Coast Survival Preparation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm new to the whole survival/prepping world. Every couple of months the newspapers and shows start talking about earthquake preparedness because we're on the subduction zone and with some of the stuff going in the world, I realized that if something happened I'm not ready at all. I've started getting some basic tools together like flint, waterproof/strike anywhere matches, hatchet, compass, fruit leather and the such.

My concern is that I live in the Lower Mainland on a rainforest coast and we only get about 4 or 5 months of good weather before it starts raining heavily and constantly. I need ideas of specific prep items for getting by in a rainy weather. I mean, one good thing is that as long as I have a tarp or some kind of catching material, I'm not likely to be out of water. If the Lower Mainland becomes unlivable, my plan is to bike into the interior where I have a friend who lives in a small town with hunters and people who live off the land.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Above all items that you can purchase, make sure you have a skill that not many have. What good are you to a group of hunters if you just show up with basic tools that they most likely received for the 5th birthday?

Skills before goods.

Lots of courses available online for free.
edit on 26-10-2014 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

The Native Americans of the PNW were able to survive and thrive in the rainforest. Look into your local tribes history and find out what they did during the rainy season.
Learn what tools/items they made to combat the wet weather. From what I can remember from an anthropology course, a tribe that lived in the Olympics made rain hats out of cedar bark.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Also, the PNW tribes lived here with very little farming.
Learn the edible and medicinal plants in the area you plan to travel to and how to harvest and prepare.
Off the top of my head, for the Puget Sound area: miners lettuce, skunk cabbage, salmon berry, thimble berry, oregon grape, huckleberry, nettles, mushrooms, etc.
And then there's always blackberries and other nonnatives that could've spread to your planned location.

There are lots of nature guides that can help.
The internet can tell you how to prepare, harvest and identify these plants. Use pinterest to see different views of a plant throughout the year.
edit on 28-10-2014 by collietta because: Poor sleepy grammar

top topics

join