It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket Motor Test 22 Million Horsepower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A thread was already created back in 2009(?) but the OP video was removed. And live leak just posted it, not sure if it's different or not but here it is.

Live leak description:

Testing a 22 million HP rocket motor. 30,000 lbs of cO2 to extinguish the flames when done.

This is the Ares 1 rocket. Development in 2007 and first flight was expected to be in 2014. This was canceled in 2010 due to the government cutting NASA's budget. In 2011 NASA lost the shuttle program too. I guess someone decided our tax money would be put to better use on other "programs"

LiveLeak source

Impressive no? I'm wondering if their is a simple answer to "why doesn't the thing just blow up like a bomb?" i wonder how much the parts that keep it from exploding cost? 22 million Hp.....i can't even fathom
edit on 26-10-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

edit on 26-10-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: thirdcoast

The reason it doesn't just explode is the same reason a gun doesn't explode when a bullet is fired. The force is released in a controlled direction.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Makes sense to me, thanks. You know the material that specific part is made of? What part that is?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Lol
No clue.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
A rocket is a controlled burn - not an explosions - as is a gun cartridge. The physics is very precise...and when it goes wrong these things DO explode!!

Liquid fuel rockets feed hte fuel "a bit at a time" into a combustion chamber where the easiest way out is though the rocket nozzle - so that's where the exhaust goes!! Of course a "bit at a time" for a big rocket can be hundreds of kilos of fuel per second!!

Solid fuel rockets combust in a predictable pattern from a shaped surface - usually (AFAIK) a hollow core up hte middle - again the easiest way out for the exhaust gas is the nozzle end.

Nozzles are often cooled to stop them melting from the temperatures!!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Jeez how big was the dyno . But seriously how do they know it was 22 million . Calculations ??? .

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Jeez how big was the dyno . But seriously how do they know it was 22 million . Calculations ??? .

Here you go....mandatory rocket science; Rocket Thrust Equations

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

Ahhhh. So glad i asked . off to work out my exit velocity now .

new topics

top topics

join