It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO: Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10,000

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
"Outbreak"

Dustin Hoffman and Morgan Freeman star in this present day story about Army medical researchers racing against the clock to stem the outbreak of a fast-spreading deadly virus.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Those numbers seem sound, it would bring the death rate to about 54% (thats assuming the laboratory confirmed deaths where directly related to lab confirmed cases)

I think the higher rates of 70% are derived from previous outbreaks that had a much lower number of infected.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well to be fair it did spread to Mali...and we haven't seen how bad that # storm will be...

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I watched World War Z again last night and if you watch the news clips in the beginning there are all these naysayers in it and I kind of chuckled...because they nailed it exactly.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

No.

It's 70% for THIS outbreak.

Ebola death rate up to 70%; WHO warns cases could skyrocket in weeksl

edit on 10/26/2014 by ~Lucidity because: link fixed. i was the whack character

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It appears "they" have moved the page.

Unless...I'm not looking in the right place
Nope, still nothing
edit on 26-10-2014 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hang on...they had a whack character. Let me fix it.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Please check the link as it isn't working.

I have read the 70% number quite a few times.

This article says it has risen to 70% from 50%

GENEVA (AP) — The death rate in the Ebola outbreak has risen to 70 percent and there could be up to 10,000 new cases a week in two months, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.

WHO assistant director-general Dr. Bruce Aylward gave the grim figures during a news conference in Geneva. Previously, WHO had estimated the death rate at around 50 percent.

Aylward said the 70 percent death rate was "a high mortality disease" in any circumstance and that the U.N. health agency was still focused on trying to get sick people isolated and provide treatment as early as possible.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's fixed.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I fixed my link previous page…

Reinich doctor was not optimistic about the ability to control the outbreak of this disease. He said that this was the most toxic Ebola virus he had ever faced and the actual death toll was much higher than what had been published. “Entire villages were wiped out. You can come to the villages and only can find corpses. You do not know whether all the people in the village died or some of them fled. This is the virus which has mortality rate up to 90% and we do not know the health conditions of those who fled, “said Dr. Reinich. Reinich has been in Guiena from May/2014.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I suppose there is most likely a lag in the death rate when comparing it to the number of infected. Hence the discrepancy between the 50% and 70% numbers?

If the AP article that Lucidity mentioned is right, and there are 1000 new cases per week, I'm sure that the death rate will most likely increase with how ill equipped they are to handle patients.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Well to be fair it did spread to Mali...and we haven't seen how bad that # storm will be...

To be fair, we are talking about a region.
And feel free to speculate about how one girl who traveled from Guinea will cause ebola to become epidemic in Mali.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Ok so you admit its spreading in a "region"....if it can't spread from one person in the first place then how did it spread in the first place?

Is it possible one girl on a bus to Mali could encourage ebola to spread further in the region...sure...is it likely...I don't know enough about this strain of ebola or the trip to know. And neither do you.
edit on 26-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Ok so you admit its spreading in a "region"....if it can't spread from one person in the first place then how did it spread in the first place?
Who said it can't spread from one person to another?

Is it possible one girl on a bus to Mali could encourage ebola to spread further in the region...sure...is it likely...I don't know enough about this strain of ebola or the trip to know. And neither do you.
The strain of ebola is not really the important factor, it's the number of people who may have come into contact with the girl's blood (from her nose). But you are right, we don't know much about it. But feel free to speculate based on our lack of information.

edit on 10/26/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Phage… you so baaad.

Thanks for policing up.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

You said this: And feel free to speculate about how one girl who traveled from Guinea will cause ebola to become epidemic in Mali.

I apologize if I misread it but I felt you meant that it will be no big deal because one person can't do that much damage. Which you very well may be right, very sorry I misread that. I don't know but I think its gonna play out worse...2 year olds are sloppy and messy and get crap everywhere.

And I disagree about the strain only for this reason...the current death toll is more than 2 times all known ebola outbreaks combined. This very well could be bad luck and mishandling of the outbreak but I personally consider that this strain could be more contagious. I have no evidence of this of course but I don't think that possibility can be written off yet..unless course there is some research out there I haven't seen.

I think the bottom line as you said...speculation is all we have...im a bit of a pessimist in all this and Im glad you are a bit more of an optimist because when I tend to research it of course the doom aspect appeals more to me which horribly subjective so its good to keep the opposite side on the table as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join