It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola can live for 3 weeks on plastic or glass

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
According to the US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health,
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
“Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV) can survive for long periods in different liquid media and can also be recovered from plastic and glass surfaces at low temperatures for over 3 weeks.”
Again and again, the obama administration tries to cover up, or white wash the terrifying facts of the terrible virus.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
And up to six weeks, I'm sure I read somewhere, in the right conditions in a lab or less trafficked environment.

Yeah, this baby has some lifespan, which many "experts" are saying may even be longer in our cooler climate than it is in Africa.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

That is in ideal conditions though.
edit on 26-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And even the less ideal is hours or days. Not a warm fuzzy. Minutes is enough in a crowded place like, say, NYC, if you think about it.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Agreed but something doesn't add up because if that was the case in the African cesspits were it is spreading at the moment if that was the case the infections would be in the millions by now.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Stop learning about Ebola. Its cowardice! Its no worse than a rash! Selfish American.

Fear monger.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Agreed but something doesn't add up because if that was the case in the African cesspits were it is spreading at the moment if that was the case the infections would be in the millions by now.

The sunlight(UV radiation) and warmer ambient temp, kills viruses on exposed surfaces. That is why the flu is not as bad in tropical regions. The borders need to be closed before winter sets in.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Good point. Guess we'll see if those dire projections of it being in the millions by January come true or not.

I think a lot of the information is of the best guess/worst case variety anyway, and getting it or not getting it really depends on a varying number of situational factors, some of which they haven't been able to track, quantify, or otherwise disect yet.

However, that being said, pandemics can be slow starting in the beginning and can then take nasty leaps upwards in numbers. That's why it's important to act fast early.

a reply to: Biotech2024

I'm with ya on that

edit on 10/26/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

The NIH said Nothing about "an Ideal Condition." Where did you pull that out from?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I always state the facts and sources of my data. Again, where are you pulling this info out from?
According to the CDC,
www.cdc.gov...

"Without additional interventions or changes in community behavior, CDC estimates that by January 20, 2015, there will be a total of approximately 550,000 Ebola cases in Liberia and Sierra Leone or 1.4 million if corrections for underreporting(sic) are made."

edit on V322014Sundayam31America/ChicagoSun, 26 Oct 2014 04:32:48 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
And up to six weeks, I'm sure I read somewhere, in the right conditions in a lab or less trafficked environment.

Yeah, this baby has some lifespan, which many "experts" are saying may even be longer in our cooler climate than it is in Africa.

Out of sunlight and a cool place is about all it needs to last a while.
I wonder if ebola has ever been loose in a cool environment with plenty of vectors.
I think it's only been loose in tropical countries so far.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biotech2024

The sunlight(UV radiation) and warmer ambient temp, kills viruses on exposed surfaces. That is why the flu is not as bad in tropical regions. The borders need to be closed before winter sets in.

Your partially correct about the Ultra Violet light. But, with Ebola, it is a RNA virus, it does not have Thymine to connect to Adenine, it has Uracil. Therefore the UV that causes Thymine dimers (which kink the DNA strand, preventing it to replicate) are ineffective to Ebola, which is single strand RNA using Uracil and NOT the Thymine/Adenine bond.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

Out of sunlight and a cool place is about all it needs to last a while. I wonder if ebola has ever been loose in a cool environment with plenty of vectors.

good question...i suspect though the way things are going we will have an answer to that question soon enough
edit on 26-10-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yeah.
I'm afraid we might.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ok...as a health professional let me just state this.....

You look at any disaster that happens anywhere in the world. there are plane loads of health professionals heading there asap. why not now ???? WELL WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK.

I have just watched an interview with bono from U2 putting # on the Australian government for not sending health professionals. well guess what bono.....you go first and we will follow. I am sick to the back eye teeth of people saying send the health professionals. I am yet too see one of these pin heads leading the way.
edit on 26-10-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

You missed the "cold" part. Or proper conditions. Environment changes everything. It's hot in Africa, in a cooler climate certain viruses thrive, some don't at all. The key point though is the difference.

Your fridge keeps germs from growing at 4C. Raise it by 3 degrees and suddenly germs start reproducing at ridiculous rates.

Just like when a pest species is introduced into a place where it thrives.
edit on 26-10-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

You missed the "cold" part. Or proper conditions. Environment changes everything. It's hot in Africa, in a cooler climate certain viruses thrive, some don't at all.

Just like when a pest species is introduced into a place where it thrives.

Yep.
Invasive species.
Ebola could end up being a viral kudzu.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Ebola is an incredibly infectious virus that only requires one single virion to enable transmission. Compare that to the common cold which requires between 100 to 250 virion depending on the susceptibility of the individual.

That said.......?? Why haven't we seen a lot more infections in the USA or the West as a whole....??

The situation in West Africa is actually a disgrace and is probably out of control now and I am hoping that this Virus does not Evolve in this increased transmission to something even more dangerous...

PDUK
edit on 26-10-2014 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

That said.......?? Why haven't we seen a lot more infections in the USA or the West as a whole....??

Extremely lucky.
But that doesn't last forever.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl
Ok...as a health professional let me just state this.....

You look at any disaster that happens anywhere in the world. there are plane loads of health professionals heading there asap. why not now ???? WELL WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK.

I have just watched an interview with bono from U2 putting # on the Australian government for not sending health professionals. well guess what bono.....you go first and we will follow. I am sick to the back eye teeth of people saying send the health professionals. I am yet too see one of these pin heads leading the way.

Maybe there are a lot more cases! Perhaps they are being hidden or as I've seen on other threads "disappeared"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join