It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Tornados in Washington State in October

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
In the past couple weeks, we have had two tornadoes in Washington state.

Tacoma

Longview

Washington state is one of the least tornado prone states in the country. The last time we saw one was about 17 years ago, down in Tacoma. And this month so far we have had three.

This is really bizarre.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The climate's changing, whether people want to believe it or not.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Washington state is one of the least tornado prone states in the country. The last time we saw one was about 17 years ago, down in Tacoma. And this month so far we have had three.

This is really bizarre.

You had 3 in one month in Tacoma?
edit on 25-10-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Are you saying the last time WA state had a tornado it was 17 years ago or just in Tacoma?

They are pretty rare here. I'm always surprised when I hear about one.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Are you saying the last time WA state had a tornado it was 17 years ago or just in Tacoma?

They are pretty rare here. I'm always surprised when I hear about one.

The last time WA state had a tornado was 17 years ago. It was also in Tacoma.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Hmmm.

TornadoHistoryProject

Those were mostly minor funnel clouds and non-touchdowns, over a 60 year period. A tornado has not touched down in this state since 1997.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

A tornado has not touched down in this state since 1997.

I thought you just contradicted yourself and then realized I'm getting old. Crap.

---

It used to be that Washington averaged just one tornado per year in the state, but factoring in more recent data, our official average is now up to two -- most likely helped by our 1997 season that had a record 14 tornadoes.

Link

I have a lazy. So none of these are actual tornadoes? That sounds snarky but that's not at all my intent. I just don't know if something has to touchdown to be called a tornado or if the news is just being the news.

SEATTLE - With last Tuesday's tornado in Sumas, you might be wondering how often we get tornadoes around here.
They're very rare -- in fact, Washington is one of the least likely states to see a tornado, averaging just one per year somewhere in the state, and they're usually pretty weak.

There has only been one deadly tornado in the state's history -- a twister that killed 6 people and injured 300 in Vancouver, Washington on April 5, 1972.

The last tornado to cause any real damage was a weak tornado near Bonney Lake on June 27, 2001 that knocked over a couple of trees into houses. It came on the heels of a weak tornado that briefly touched down in West Seattle two weeks earlier, but didn't do any damage.

Link

I thought we got 1 or 2 a year but they were usually so weak it was just a minor news blurb. They certainly aren't something I pay much attention to. Might have to change that though.

Is there a major difference between a funnel cloud and a tornado and the news is just saying tornado because it sounds more newsy?

edit on 2520141020141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2520141020141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Tornadoes have to touch down to be recorded as such. There is no reason to keep record of a funnel cloud.
Most of the time a funnel cloud won't be declared a tornado unless it touches down.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I wonder if this is a sign of a wet winter coming? It is odd to say the least. By the way OP..... I am having a little star envy could I borrow a million or what.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

We only consider tornadoes to be as such in this state when they touch down. However, to a meteorologist, funnel clouds often count as sightings.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

That last link I posted suggested that a few had touched down after 1997. The one damaged property.

Having a hard time pinning anything down definitively. Not trying to be combative or rude, just was pretty sure we got a tornado or two every year and those articles supported that.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I was looking at the radar for the United States yesterday, and there no storms any where, except in Washington, and a few off of the coast of Florida. I found that weird to say the least.

top topics

join