It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X3 Solar Flare from AR2192

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Where?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I heard recently that cars wouldn't be effected at all.

Cars and electronics would not be affected unless they were plugged into the power grid. A geomagnetic storm produced by a CME is not an EMP.

Electrical grids are affected because of induced currents produced in long conductors (power lines). These currents are, for all intents and purposes, DC currents because they are of very low frequency. Although the amount of power involved is not great (200-400 volts), our AC systems don't like DC currents being introduced to them. Specifically the transformers.

To those concerned about the grid being taken out, see ^^^above^^^

I would add that electrical grids have all manner of overload devices built into them, a complete grid loss just wont happen. Most electrical devices wont be hurt either because they just dont catch enough of it, the grid has long cables and thats why it could be affected, but it has built in protection.

I watched a docu a while ago about the uk grid, those in control of it said the best protection against this is to switch on the whole grid, that way its all more or less at the same potential and no harm arises. They are of the opinion that trying to isolate things just makes it worse.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You all might want to take a peek at this related thread concerning sunspot AR2192. Scary stuff..!

Sunspot AR2192

-Propulsion
edit on 26-10-2014 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Propulsion

Scary stuff..!

Not really. And the fact that it comes from Ed Dames makes it less so.
He's never been right, has he?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Scary stuff..!

I think he says a lot of stuff most people know already. A lot of it is common sense. I always like to take a peek at everyone’s perspective. Different viewpoints.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Scary stuff..!

Set your phager to stun. youtu.be...
edit on 27-10-2014 by cloaked4u because: fix

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought that CMEs last a long time; long enough for the planet to turn and expose a large portion of Earth to the incoming blast.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Set all your Phagers to Stun. This could happen to a power line near you. check out the video. Imagine this happening all over the place after the sun belches at earth.

edit on 27-10-2014 by cloaked4u because: spell

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
I will laugh. And.next year I'll still be laughing. And the year after that and the year after that etc...a reply to: bluemooone2

Hopefully you will be laughing. We all pray you will be laughing. But if a CME wipes out the North American power grid, you'll be one of the first to succumb to the elements, starvation or violence due to your naive reliance on government to come save you.

No, we won't suddenly forget how technology works but the power grid is necessary to manufacture all the power cables we'd need to rebuild said grid. The grid is also necessary for water to come out of your tap, without power your water stops! The power grid is also necessary for our fuel refineries to operate and the entire country has about 10-14 days of gasoline reserves at any one time, and even if we had a years worth of gasoline it has a short shelf life. So without the steady supply of gasoline and diesel, mass food production and transportation of both food and fuel combined with no water services means huge portions of the population perish within weeks, and that's not even taking winter into account.

Did you see what happened in the aftermath of Sandy, how long it took to get the power grid up? That was WITH power everywhere else, a steady supply of food, water, fuel and medical supplies and on top of that it took electrical crews from all over the country to get that grid back up. How long do you suppose it'd take if the entirety of North America was without the electrical grid?

If, and that's a BIG IF, this current sun spot generates an X-10 or greater flare and CME, we are talking about nationwide panic and chaos resulting in the deaths of tens of millions of people within the first few months, many of which will be the very people who know how to rebuild the grid and manufacture the things needed to rebuild.

For the reasons I have typed out here, it should be our #1 priority as a civilization to harden the grid against any kind of EMP attack or CME event. It can be done, and it must be done! A massive CME event is going to happen at some point, it's just a matter of time. Hopefully it won't happen for 100 years but it could be anytime this week. If the CME is powerful enough, it could wipe out every grid on the planet, not just whatever is facing the sun at the time a CME impacts.

So laugh all you want, it's good you can continue to laugh. Those of us that understand the implications of our entire grid going down are just concerned about the day you stop laughing, the day you realize that all but the elite will be all but ignored by the government.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Just had a text alert X2 class solar flare / 2014-10-27 1452 UTC.

Also had a text alert at 5:17 AM cst for an M6 flare.
edit on 27-10-2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it strange that none of these flares are producing CMEs? I wonder how often that happens...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ObsidianEclipse

spaceweathergallery.com...

spaceweathergallery.com...

been there at least 2 days.
edit on 27-10-2014 by johnb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just got another text from Spaceweather:

M6 class Solar Flare 2014-10-28 0337 UTC

Wow, they're in go mode.

STM

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
By by sunspot, see you near December.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join