It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots that can kill without human intervention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In Norway, they have robots that can identify targets and kill those targets without human intervention.

The partially autonomously controlled missiles, or so-called "killer robots", will be used for airborne strikes for its new fighter jets and have the ability to identify targets and make decisions to kill without human interference.

The Norwegian Peace League, for one, believe the technology may violate international law, wanting a parliamentary debate about the move.

www.thelocal.no...

I think these things are inevitable and studies will come out that show robot controlled cars or robot controlled drones will make fewer mistakes than humans and there will be all kinds of debates on what we should or shouldn't allow robots to do.
edit on 24-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Fahrenheit 451 here we come!

This is an example of not being able to use the technology we already have in a responsible manner. From the gun to the smart bullet to the autonomous Terminator....if only we put our might towards good deeds. We'd have a paradise and not 1984. S + F

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Skynet for real, awesome.

I for one think its a huge mistake, because, well, software is buggy.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully
Skynet for real, awesome.

I for one think its a huge mistake, because, well, software is buggy.

I agree.

I guess the only way to do it without issue is to install a transmitter chip inside of people so that the robot/softwrae can identify who is what....Nope, not in me!
edit on 24-10-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

Or facial recognition, cell signals, etc. Even if it made a mistake I don't think it would be held accountable, given its job.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This will be a great tool for cowardly world leaders who try their best to avoid taking personal responsibility for ANYTHING much less the death of thousands!

I’m sure we ALL know a political leader like THAT!

A fine tool for cowards...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Check out what Samsung(the dudes who make your TV/phone etc)have deployed at the DMZ between North and South Korea:

(Samsung)The SGR-A1 is programmed with pattern recognition software that allows the robot to differentiate between a trespassing human and a Siberian tiger passing through the field of view.
One could argue that the SGR-A1 is only thing deadlier than the tigers and bears running through the DMZ, as the SGR-A1 has a number of built-in failsafes to prevent accidental firing.
If a human is sighted, the SGR-A1 issues an audio warning. If the sighted individual recites the proper code within a short window of time or makes a surrender gesture, the SGR-A1 is programmed to not fire on the target.

www.amog.com...

Been patroling since 2006.

en.wikipedia.org...

The vid shows the gun being controlled by humans,but it can also be set to make its own decisions to kill people.

I can't say I like the way this is going,but I am not surprised by it either.
How long before these are on our streets I wonder?
They actually look so much like the kind of guns from sci fi games like "Half life" or "Portal" that most youngsters might think they were really cool to have in our towns and cities.
Scary.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Corporations are "people". Police dogs are "officers". I bet robots will soon be termed "soldiers" in order for people to get stiff criminal charges for destroying or even tampering with them.

I think the law will destroy all of our "blasting robots in the future" fantasies.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Thanks for the info and that's an interesting video.

a reply to: Cuervo

I bet you're right. Robots could eventually be classified as soldiers or robo-sapiens in order to give them protections under the law.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

most youngsters might think they were really cool to have in our towns and cities.

Most of them have beaten those games you mentioned and know the consequences.
I was 14 when I played and beat Half-Life 2. It was as clear to me then as it is now.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker

most youngsters might think they were really cool to have in our towns and cities.

Most of them have beaten those games you mentioned and know the consequences.
I was 14 when I played and beat Half-Life 2. It was as clear to me then as it is now.

Sort of full circle I think..
The consequences are different in reality.
There are no second chances/extra lives.
No med packs or herbs will sort you out if you get hit by a computer code controlled real machine gun.
This isn't COD or Destiny where you respawn when you die.

Welcome to the future chaos.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Thanks for the info and that's an interesting video.

a reply to: Cuervo

I bet you're right. Robots could eventually be classified as soldiers or robo-sapiens in order to give them protections under the law.

OR killer robo-raptors.

KAIST Raptor robot runs at 46 km/h, Active tail stabilization

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
robots have already made a tremendous impact on the manufacturing market
guess were just starting to scratch the surface

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Give it a few years and that may change

extra lives maybe expensive at first but still might be doable

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just wait until one malfunctions or gets hacked. How many robo-massacres will have to happen before they see that this was a bad idea.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

top topics

join