It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Action Notification - U-Verse activates EAN system, possible mistake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If there is already a thread on this, mods please delete!

EAN System Activated

Just saw this pop up on social media, apparently a large percentage of U-Verse customers just got EAN messages on their televisions.

They said it was a mistake, but looking at wikipedia has the following:

An Emergency Action Notification (SAME code: EAN) is the national activation of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and can only be activated by the President or his/her representative (i.e. the Vice President).[1] The Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) also carried the Emergency Action Notification. It has never been used by any President since its creation.

So, if only the president can activate it, why was it activated? Could this be an "unofficial" test of the system? (EDIT: There's no big red button with "EAN" on it that only the President can push, and mistakes can happen.)

With the Nuke drills in NY, Obama previously saying his greatest fear is a nuke attack on NY...

And now the EAN system is mysteriously activated, but we're assured "DON'T PANIC."

Very interesting. I take it with a grain of salt, but very interesting nonetheless.
edit on 24-10-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: Added picture

edit on 24-10-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: also kant spel

edit on 24-10-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: Edited for clarification

edit on 24-10-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: Removed all-caps from title. MOD NOTE: The use of ALL CAPS in thread titles

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have U-Verse but never turn the TV on so I'm no help. They test the EAN every now and then, and it would make sense to test it these days. Good catch.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Only the president or his aids can order the use of the system, not directly activate it.

It's like a soldiers gun. The responsibility falls to the pres and his aids BUT accidents do happen. Soldiers misfire despite training and tv programmers and controllers make mistakes despite training.

It's not as if there's a red button that only Barry and Hillary are allowed to push that activates it hehe. That's the picture i first got reading the op

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I believe you've taken the statement that only the president or his representative can activate it a bit too literally.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Aw, that's disappointing. I always picture the Oval Office full of hidden buttons and gizmos.

One of them, in my mind, is labelled "Remove Putin". Maybe a little red LED with a label that says "Hillarybot Battery Warning" or something.

I'm pretty sure Barry has a red phone that dials straight to the Powerpuff Girls though.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun Still freaky in these times.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Vaedur

If I had seen that on my television this morning I probably would have made sure my bug out bag was in order put it near the door. Glad it's just a fluke, but still very frightening.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thousands of reports coming in guys!

People getting stuck on one channel and can't change it after the yreceive this message... WTF?

TC companies got hacked or they are just testing the message systems? Or maybe Obama pushed the emergency TV button, forgot and went to golfing course?

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: WorkingClassHero

That's the flip side to the integrated tv/Internet system we have. The cable system was for a brief moment proprietary tech and you had to connect locally to effect things locally. Now tho our tv's are technically connected to the Internet and I'm not talking about the ones that have apps and a network connection.

It's now possible to hack into and effect what on people's tv's from remote places using the Internet. Even possible to effect single tv's or chunks of them.

Not saying this was a hack job over an accident but its completely possible.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: mindseye1609

I'm pretty sure Barry has a red phone that dials straight to the Powerpuff Girls though.

S###, The Mayor was way more competent a leader than Mr. Obama...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Since this is one a single provider and in only a few cities it clearly is not an attempt to activate the system which would be on all providers. So the problem is going to be at U-verse alone.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

That's pretty much a given, yeah. I just wonder who pushed the wrong button or flipped the wrong switch.

Whoever did that probably created a job opening for themselves.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Let's not sully such a great cartoon with obama references huh?

new topics

top topics

join