It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatchet-wielding man shot dead by NYPD cops in Queens; police eye possible terrorism motive

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: sacgamer25

Terrorism was the word in the headline and article, and used by law enforcement.

Not my word.

ISIS put out a call for lone wolf attacks on military and law enforcement, so it sounds like a logical concern.

Attacks on military and police are, by definition, not terrorism. Terrorism is an attack on civilians intended to instill terror in the civilian population. That said, there needs to be a lessening of tolerance for the mentally ill whose conditions involve a high degree of risk to others. I don't advocate throwing them in the snake pits of old but they should not be running around loose where they can harm others.

I'm not sure why you would think this event should not be considered terrorism:

Definitions of Terrorism in the U.S. Code

18 U.S.C. § 2331 defines "international terrorism" and "domestic terrorism" for purposes of Chapter 113B of the Code, entitled "Terrorism”:

"International terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

18 U.S.C. § 2332b defines the term "federal crime of terrorism" as an offense that:

Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and
Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).

* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801(c).

www.fbi.gov...

www.nytimes.com...

That changed on Sept. 21, as the American-led bombing campaign escalated. In an audio statement over the Internet, the militant group’s official spokesman, Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, urged Muslims living in the West to retaliate against their countries for joining the strikes.

“If you can kill a disbelieving American or European — especially the spiteful and filthy French — or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that entered into a coalition against the Islamic State, then rely upon Allah, and kill him in any manner or way however it may be,” Mr. Adnani urged, adding, “Kill the disbeliever whether he is civilian or military” because “both of them are disbelievers.”

He warned Americans and Europeans that they would suffer.

ISIS put out a call for attacks. They said that no one needed their permission or instructions to do so. Those that respond to the call, for whatever reason, seem to fit the definition of terrorism above. Thompson took it upon himself to respond to the call. Thus, his attack fits the definition of terrorism.
edit on 10/25/14 by BlueAjah because: additional

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

a reply to: sacgamer25

Terrorism was the word in the headline and article, and used by law enforcement.

Not my word.

ISIS put out a call for lone wolf attacks on military and law enforcement, so it sounds like a logical concern.

Attacks on military and police are, by definition, not terrorism. Terrorism is an attack on civilians intended to instill terror in the civilian population. That said, there needs to be a lessening of tolerance for the mentally ill whose conditions involve a high degree of risk to others. I don't advocate throwing them in the snake pits of old but they should not be running around loose where they can harm others.

I'm not sure why you would think this event should not be considered terrorism:

Definitions of Terrorism in the U.S. Code

18 U.S.C. § 2331 defines "international terrorism" and "domestic terrorism" for purposes of Chapter 113B of the Code, entitled "Terrorism”:

"International terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

18 U.S.C. § 2332b defines the term "federal crime of terrorism" as an offense that:

Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and
Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).

* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801(c).

www.fbi.gov...

www.nytimes.com...

That changed on Sept. 21, as the American-led bombing campaign escalated. In an audio statement over the Internet, the militant group’s official spokesman, Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, urged Muslims living in the West to retaliate against their countries for joining the strikes.

“If you can kill a disbelieving American or European — especially the spiteful and filthy French — or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that entered into a coalition against the Islamic State, then rely upon Allah, and kill him in any manner or way however it may be,” Mr. Adnani urged, adding, “Kill the disbeliever whether he is civilian or military” because “both of them are disbelievers.”

He warned Americans and Europeans that they would suffer.

ISIS put out a call for attacks. They said that no one needed their permission or instructions to do so. Those that respond to the call, for whatever reason, seem to fit the definition of terrorism above. Thompson took it upon himself to respond to the call. Thus, his attack fits the definition of terrorism.

Yes, let's call every act of violence terrorism to help speed up the rate at which people give up their freedoms and call for more war! War! War! Help those oil cartels and military industrialists make more money! Money! Money!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So many things are being attributed to "terrorism" just because a cop or a soldier was targeted.

This attack, along with both attacks this week in Canada, were just crazy people.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The perpetrators of these attacks were radical Muslims.

The hatchet-wielding man who attacked several police officers in Queens was described by police officials on Friday as a “self-radicalized” Muslim convert who was inspired by terrorist groups like the Islamic State and Al Qaeda, but who most likely acted alone and on his own initiative.
His online history shows that he had recently visited websites related to the Islamic State, Al Qaeda and Al Shabab, the military Islamist group based in Somalia, and viewed videos of beheadings

www.nytimes.com...

Just because someone acts on their own and has not been in a foreign country does not mean they are not acting based on the call of the radical terrorists. This is what ISIS is doing now. They are recruiting on social media. These individuals are becoming tools of ISIS. Maybe the individuals are loners and not right in the head, but they are influenced by terrorists. Thus, they have become part of the larger problem of terrorism.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid
I found this site which claims to translate that mess of lines.

A Quran quote in classic Arabic calligraphy mentioning judgment against those who have wandered astray serves as the page's banner.
www.scribd.com...

Zale Thompson had ties to the New Black Panther Party and the Nation of Islam. Both of these groups have special protection from the DOJ and the Whitehouse.

The New Black Panther Party hates cops. They really hate white cops. That is what's going on.

Zale is in hell right now with his 72 billy goats.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

The perpetrators of these attacks were radical Muslims.

The hatchet-wielding man who attacked several police officers in Queens was described by police officials on Friday as a “self-radicalized” Muslim convert who was inspired by terrorist groups like the Islamic State and Al Qaeda, but who most likely acted alone and on his own initiative.
His online history shows that he had recently visited websites related to the Islamic State, Al Qaeda and Al Shabab, the military Islamist group based in Somalia, and viewed videos of beheadings

www.nytimes.com...

Just because someone acts on their own and has not been in a foreign country does not mean they are not acting based on the call of the radical terrorists. This is what ISIS is doing now. They are recruiting on social media. These individuals are becoming tools of ISIS. Maybe the individuals are loners and not right in the head, but they are influenced by terrorists. Thus, they have become part of the larger problem of terrorism.

I think you should enlist.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I'm not sure I understand your comment.
Enlist.... what?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I'm not sure I understand your comment.
Enlist.... what?

Enlist to fight the terrorists, of course!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Ahh. I fight in my own way. I try to research, enlighten people where I can, keep my eyes and ears open, and encourage those in the good fight.

At my age, I'm not sure what else I can do. If I tried to enlist in any kind of active duty at my age, they would laugh me out the door

I have always tried to do what I can to fight on the side of good and for those who are not able to defend themselves. My kids call me "mama bear". I kind of have a reputation for taking on any fight or challenge for the protection of my family, friends, home or anything that means something to me. Nobody better mess with my cubs, including terrorists

But, I'm still not sure what made you suggest I enlist LOL.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Ahh. I fight in my own way. I try to research, enlighten people where I can, keep my eyes and ears open, and encourage those in the good fight.

At my age, I'm not sure what else I can do. If I tried to enlist in any kind of active duty at my age, they would laugh me out the door

I have always tried to do what I can to fight on the side of good and for those who are not able to defend themselves. My kids call me "mama bear". I kind of have a reputation for taking on any fight or challenge for the protection of my family, friends, home or anything that means something to me. Nobody better mess with my cubs, including terrorists

But, I'm still not sure what made you suggest I enlist LOL.

Sorry, your avatar suggested that you were in your teens or twenties. I was suggesting that you enlist because of your concern about terrorists.

There's not much point into going into the politics of war except to say that war makes huge profits for some people/corporations and it's in their best interest to always have an enemy on the horizon and convince people that they're on the verge of imminent threat. Terrorism has increased hugely in Iraq since the U.S. saved the world from 'evil doer" Saddam Hussein. In terrorism, the people who profit from war have created the ideal enemy: a technique. It will never end and the profits will never end.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join