It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patek Philippe 5175R Grandmaster Chime Watch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Patek Philippe Grand Master Chime Ref. 5175 Grande Sonnerie, Its the world’s most complicated wristwatch -- ever. It blends classic chiming complications like the grande and petite sonnerie with brand new ones like the date repeater, while also building in a state-of-the-art perpetual calendar.

The video is 10 minutes long but well worth watching

The Patek Philippe Grand Master Chime ref. 5175R will be a limited edition of seven pieces, with one residing in the Patek Philippe museum in Geneva.

The other six will be priced at 2.5 million Swiss Francs (approximately $2.6 million)

Well out of my price range, but what a masterpiece!
7 years in development!

Absolutely a work of art

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Do you collect, or are you a watchmaker?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Spruce

Neither
Im an art lover and thats what this watch is

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Absolutely the most astonishing thing I've seen in a while. Thanks man. I am coveting this soooooooo much. Hopefully the Chinese can make a knock off for 500 bucks or so in a few years. S and f of course.
edit on 23-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: big fat broke thumbs... lil kindle

edit on 23-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: i suck

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
a reply to: Spruce

Neither
Im an art lover and thats what this watch is

I can't watch the video right now.
Thanks for posting it though.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

Thanks
It is one of the better video's ive seen in quite a while

I can hardly comprehend the work thats gone into making it

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge
Hhumpf,wouldn't last an hour in the G-Shock test labs!

Seriously though,
Great video.
Those guys have got mind boggling skills.
Amazing how much of it was done with hand tools.
How on earth is that even possible?
Geniuses..

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's really complex, astonishingly so. Halfway through the video I wondered "What if the person buying such a prestigious piece discovers that it runs 2 minutes fast every hour, lol? Does he take out his iphone and check the time on the net?"

it does look and sound wonderful though. It has a very pleasant and delicate sonnerie for sure.

In the last scene showing the two men I did a double take. That fellow on the right looks like Harper. Someone shoot me now, I see that guy everywhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

i was suprised at how much of it was done by hand
Hand engraved too...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I shoot (and wire)explosives now and one of the big time no nos is a cellphone. So when I came back to America I got into wind up pocket watches (also not smart to have things on wrists). I'm hooked now. I carry a pocket watch every day.
edit on 23-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: im a dip#

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

You can be sure for that price, if anything is off kilter one phone call and a rep from the company is on the way out to you.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
When I was watching the video,for some reason I thought "I bet these guys would be able to do complex brain surgery better than actual surgeons."

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

You can be sure for that price, if anything is off kilter one phone call and a rep from the company is on the way out to you.

OK, but having to wait six more years for a replacement watch might just tax the buyer's patience, haha.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Great vid - thanks!

I love well made watches. It's the only piece of jewelry I've ever worn....well...except for my wedding ring which I wore for the 24 yrs of my marriage.

I have a particular fondness for the older simple Breitling's. I have a Wings Automatic on now that I've worn daily for the past 10+ years. It's an amazing and beautiful instrument...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Oy.

Okay, this is a work of art, and the artisans are certainly masters.

But $2.5 million for a watch? When the most exacting need for what time is it can be handled by any number of resources, starting with almost free? And then there would be the worry of getting hit over the head for it, letting everyone know you'd spend that much on a luxury item when 1/3 of the planet is starving, etc?

Harummph. As my father would have said, 'snob appeal'.

Let me know when they can get it to sound like Big Ben.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Yes, thanks for that, fascinating.

Looking at the size of the components you wouldn't want to be sneezing while putting that together.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Snob appeal? Absolute work of art imo. I accept your opinion though. I just wanted to defend that I want this watch not because I would show it off or I'm a snob but because it is more appealing than a van Gogh to me...

Think about what this represents about humanity.... on your wrist.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Think about what this represents about humanity.... on your wrist.

I know what you are saying and I too appreciate fine craftsmanship but....

I would think that a $2.00 digital timepiece that keeps perfect time says more about humanity than an elitist bauble only very few could afford.

However if you are alluding to the vast disparity between rich and poor....

edit on 23-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Watch companies tend to have interesting demographics. Wall street was known for liking Rolex, the Zodiac killer liked the Sea Wolf.

According to Bloomberg one of the main draws with this watch is that it has the most complicated crown.
People like Bill Gates that bought the Codex Leicester.
I'll look for "easter eggs" in the video when I've got more bandwidth.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Anyone else wondering why these are so expensive?

I can't even fathom spending $2 million on a watch while millions are starving to death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join