It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No. of foreign visitors to Japan exceeds 10 million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
TOKYO —
The Japan National Tourism Organization said Thursday that the number of foreign tourists visiting Japan so far this year exceeded 10 million by mid-October.

JNTO said that at the end of September, the official tally for the number of foreign visitors to Japan was 9,737,000 people. The Japan Tourism Agency followed the announcement up with a report saying the number of foreign tourists exceeded 10 million two months faster than the same time last year.

By the end of 2014, the agency expects the number of foreign tourists to easily exceed 12 million, TBS reported.

Tourism officials attribute the hike in tourism numbers to Haneda Airport increasing the number of international flights, as well as the recent easing of visa regulations for countries in Southeast Asia.

Agency officials also noted that from Oct 1, the list of duty-free products was expanded leading to a increase in sales at department and other stores of over 2.4 times compared to last last year.

Source:
www.japantoday.com...

Obviously the very real threat of being fried alive by massive, lethal doses of radiation isn't enough to deter some people. :-)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A relatively small number considering the size of Tokyo compared to lets say London, which had 16.8 million visitors in 2013.

And I can imagine not everyone is clued up on Fukushima either, I bet if i asked my wife what Fukushima is, she would be thinking of an Asian takeaway dish...

Sorry love, it's true, you know it!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Yen has dropped about 20% against the dollar now making it viable for many people to visit Japan.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
i'd love to visit the place and annoy the missus as she'd hate to be served in a hello kitty themed bar

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alekto

Obviously the very real threat of being fried alive by massive, lethal doses of radiation isn't enough to deter some people. :-)

O get real

I have just come back from Japan

It was bloody amazeing.

Its total BS this radiation poising.

sure ones risk of cancer increase a few fraction of a percent of those living out there but"being fried alive by massive, lethal doses of radiation" ? Shut up and get some facts right.

If radiation poisoning was a issue then why did I only see healthy people everywhere and not sick dying people with hair falling out and skin sleuthing off? O that right cause the claims are BS!

The Japanese were some of the healthiest people I have ever seen. I felt sick and disgusting looking at myself and fellow Brits after coming back on the unhealthy state we are in.

I tell the small amount of radiation has done less damage to them than our rubbish diets have done to us!

So unless you plan to go roll around in nuclear waste you will be perfectly fine.

edit on 23-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2014 by crazyewok because: made a crap ton of spelling mistakes out of anger at the OP

edit on 23-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
The Yen has dropped about 20% against the dollar now making it viable for many people to visit Japan.

I tell you it was bloody cheap out there.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Alekto

Holy crap! I am going in Feb. Pretty excited.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Holy crap! I am going in Feb. Pretty excited.

You will love it!

You got to go down to Kyoto and also go up to the caste at Matsumoto. As for Tokyo there is so much to do it would take me ages to list it.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Super cool! I have a list of things I am going to try to check off the bucket list.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just visited Japan earlier this year. Not to worry about radiation. The Japanese people were wonderful. Great food. Would like to go back. I highly recommend anyone to visit Japan.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Alekto

O get real

I have just come back from Japan

It was bloody amazeing.

Its total BS this radiation poising.

sure ones risk of cancer increase a few fraction of a percent of those living out there but"being fried alive by massive, lethal doses of radiation" ? Shut up and get some facts right.

If radiation poisoning was a issue then why did I only see healthy people everywhere and not sick dying people with hair falling out and skin sleuthing off? O that right cause the claims are BS!

The Japanese were some of the healthiest people I have ever seen. I felt sick and disgusting looking at myself and fellow Brits after coming back on the unhealthy state we are in.

I tell the small amount of radiation has done less damage to them than our rubbish diets have done to us!

So unless you plan to go roll around in nuclear waste you will be perfectly fine.

Please adjust your browser's irony filter to the 'off' position. Many thanks :-)

P.S. wouldn't hurt to see where the OP is posting from either.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Guys I live in Japan and was just taking the piss a bit. Seems that went over your head. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

My mistake sorry

Its ATS and so many wacko doodles keep posting crap about Japan its annoying

I guess I should have looked at your location

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Double post strikes again.....

edit on 24-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

My mistake sorry

Its ATS and so many wacko doodles keep posting crap about Japan its annoying

I guess I should have looked at your location

That's why I posted it :-)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Most of the world's population has no clue about radiation in the first place - so using visitors coming to Japan as a support to claim all must be well is moot. Interestingly Hawaii's tourism increased in 2012 by nearly 10% (including Japanese tourists)- so using your logic one could just as easily say people chose Hawaii over Japan.
news.yahoo.com...

Most of the world doesn't even realize a third building went down in New York on 9-11. Most of the world doesn't question radiation in the first place. Most of the world, if asked about Fukushima, have no clue it is even an ongoing problem with no solution in sight. Anyone I've asked about Rukushima (besides the very few people I know who stay informed) reply the same: "Oh, is that still happening? I thought they stopped it."

It doesn't matter how many people visit Japan - it changes nothing about the facts of Fukushima. I'm sure the thousands of exposed bags of radioactive dirt piled around are a great tourist attraction too.

In total, 250,000 tons of soil are bagged and stacked in 30 locations throughout Fukushima prefecture. But not all the bags are up on a mountain, conveniently removed from the Japanese population. Thousands of bags are in the middle of communities, waiting to be relocated.

One evening in December 2013, an elderly man named Toshio Okoshi showed me around his village in the Shidamyo district of Fukushima. He took me to a vantage point where I could see piles of thousands of blue bags, from village to village, rice field to rice field, home to home. Upon taking in the sight, I yelped so loud that Okoshi had to adjust his hearing aid. He explained that the region's village have been abandoned by the young -- with elderly like himself left to farm the rice, hoping its radiation levels will be low enough to allow commercial marketing. "Our only hope," he told me, "is that we will restore farming so that the young will return and bring life back to Shidamyo."

In Shidamyo, about 140 elderly residents are left to manage 45,000 tons of blue-bagged waste, ensuring that the bags don't spill or break before they are trucked up the mountain. ***

Though Tepco and the Japanese government have been at pains to downplay the ongoing dangers related to the Fukushima power plant, containment water leaks in October and November 2013 doubled, and oceanographic studies showed that cesium-137, which has a 30-year half-life, has leached into the sea and is being carried on Pacific currents.

On Feb. 8, 2014, Tepco conceded it had grossly understated the levels of strontium-90 in emitted water: The radiation is five times higher than previously stated.

www.foreignpolicy.com...

Like everything Tepco and news, we can be assured the number of bagged radioactive dirt is well under-estimated and as reported last year, many are already broken open and left laying near communities and schools. And I reiterate, this is not because of the Japanese people, it's a global problem with the nuclear industry creating devastatingly toxic problems worldwide without any care to stop or correct it and continually downplaying its impact on the environment.

Germany has made great strides in using clean energy -

Since 1999, the dis­trict of Rhein-Hunsruck in south­west­ern Ger­many has worked to re­place con­ven­tion­al en­ergy sources such as coal, fuel oil and nat­ural gas with re­new­able sources. It now boasts that wind, sol­ar, bio­mass and hy­dro sup­ply 177 per cent of its elec­tri­city needs, with sur­plus pow­er ex­ported to the grid. The dis­trict says C02 emis­sions have fall­en by 64 per cent since 1990 and that the re­new­able en­ergy sec­tor in­jects $50 mil­lion into the lo­cal econ­omy each year.

www.edmontonjournal.com...

The notion that we "need" nuclear energy is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Indeed, Wishes. Since I posted this, my house is now a crumbling mess of radioactive decay. Tokyo is uninhabitable and I've been forced to beg for food.

Lol. Not really. Tokyo is great. Come on down everyone :-)
edit on 2-3-2015 by Alekto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

nvm
edit on 2-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

edit on 2-3-2015 by Alekto because: nvm

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

What are you talking about? Reread my post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join