It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“I’ll Come To Your Place When SHTF” – No You Won’t

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
you are so funny, it must be your one redeeming feature.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bigpaul

You make me smile too.

At least I have any redeeming qualities. And with that. I'm done.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

My ex-house mate is a "prepper" of sorts.

He's been stashing away non-perishable food for a few of years now. He doesn't own any weapons.

He started doing it while I was still renting a room in his house, and he's been telling a lot of people about it over the years.

I've said to him many many times that unless he stops telling people about it then he better arm himself and be prepared to use force to defend his stash because if the SHTF people are going to come and take what he has. He's even been storing food for his dog.

He's a generous guy, and in the end he'd probably share what he has with the local community, it's a rural area where everybody knows each other. I've also told him that if I was starving I'd have no choice but to show up at his place looking for food, I live very far from now so that wouldn't happen, but I was trying to make that point clear to him that even friends will do what they have to to survive, and if that means raiding his stash then that's what people will do.

Reminds me of this:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
I suppose in his mind rising above something is ignoring it?

Thinking more, not responding in kind. Which as you have both so efficiently demonstrated, is too easy to do.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Before the SHTF I would help anyone that wanted to prepare. But while it's happening, no.

I would hate to have to turn someone away but you can't trust anyone in a bug out situation. You can never know if they are planning to cut your throat in your sleep and take everything you have or hold you hostage with your own weapons. It's amazing what some people will do when they are hungry and dying.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: MKMoniker

For all anybody knows if it was a real SHTF scenario the people making up the so called 'Shadow Government' will be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Not every SHTF scenario will conceivably work out in the 'Shadow Governments' favor.

Something for yourself to think about...

Not unless the water is going to pour in, or lava or something crushes, their deluxe underground facilities.

There are other ways too, more positive ones that involve people waking up and using their consciousness wisely and in positive ways, or just opting out. Everyone throwing in the towel and refusing to participate in this hunger game type platform and meditating until the rescue comes. I do actually support refusal to participate at all.

I just think there are many other ways.

But at this point of time, they have cushy lairs. And they're monsters.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The divided up, dog eat dog survival is insane. It doesn't happen that way. Depends on the disaster, if its economic meltdown, for some reason so many allow their neighbors to starve, but depending on the disaster, people meet up in the town square, and collect who has the tools and who has the garages and they start making energy, sharing seeds, sharing stockpiled food in warehouses and medical supplies, you know like a town, and a team/family.

Otherwise, they meet up or find others along the way, in a huge exodus trying to leave dangerous areas.

I suggest the first scenario, people meeting up and sharing and getting going if its a dirty thirties economic meltdown and preventing millions from dying like then.

People don't just sit there shooting their neighbors, they band up in disasters.

Whoever writes this stuff is either damaged in the brain fanatic programmed into isolation mode thinking, Or black ops.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
keep thinking like that and it'll get you killed, people are bad enough now post SHTF and they'll be 10 times worse, especially the unprepared ones, their starving, their wife is starving, the kids are starving, you think their going to give a damn about you? all they want is what you have got and if they have to go over you to get it they will.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The grid isn't going permanently down, oil isn't drying up anytime soon and the zombies are staying regular old dead.

I agree on the last two...but not so sure on the first one. Our grid is completely vulnerable, and has been for years. In fact, each year it is brought up, and each year, funding is shot down for it.

Even now, if we were to lose a few key, major units, the lead time on replacements is like 18 MONTHS!

Personally, I think economic collapse is the most likely SHTF scenario. Our entire world economy is basically one big Ponzi scheme, and the only thing keeping it going is the simple fact is HAS TO, or we all lose. Meanwhile, major countries' currencies are tumbling, and the economy's "recovery" is an illusion at best. 3 days of the trucks stopping, and we're basically going to be in a military state at best, an anarchy at worst.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
We are living on borrowed time with regard to epidemic. The more urban and more mobile that humans become, the more we speed up the advent of a superbug.

The Black Death occurred because the trade network finally connected the whole of the ancient world by the 14th century. European population declined by 75%.

Think about that for just a second. How many of our institutions could function while burying 75% of their workforce? How many harbors would still be operational? How many oil refineries? How many hospitals? How many Gas stations and grocery stores? How many power plants? How many nuclear facilities?

You'd band together alright. To form entry/burying parties. All of those bodies would need to be buried, before it rains and spreads the disease into the groundwater. And before carrion spread the remains all over the countryside. Then there are the traditional secondary plagues when human populations migrate: scarlet fever, amoebic dysentery, pneumonia.

Many institutions couldn't survive that shock.
What would property insurance mean, in a world where there would suddenly be acres of untenanted homes? What significance would probate courts have, when 75 percent of the heirs are dead... as well as 75 percent of the judges?

Could banks still function? I bet I could stop making payments on the pickup truck, and no repo-man would ever show up... I could even go take a better one, if I wanted, from a car dealership that was suddenly under-staffed. Likewise, I could move into a newly-vacant mansion, and I really doubt the cops would give a rip. Their main concern would be convincing me to run a backhoe for them, to prepare the mass graves...

I think a lot of what looks like looting in 2014 would simply be salvage in a post-plague world. Fewer shots fired, since there'd be an excess of resources, and hardly anyone left to shoot.

In such a world, treasure would no longer consist of money or credit, or even consumer goods.

Suddenly, treasure would be a healthy worker

Happy New Year.
edit on 31-12-2014 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Such an outbreak would be pretty unlikely to spread too quickly these days. At least outside the third world. Sure, Africa saw thousands die from Ebola, but look how quickly first-world nations got it under control...even as inept as they were in doing so.

Going back to our grid...a vast majority of it is composed of components that are WELL past their intended shelf-life, and the utility companies aren't about to diminish profits and spend the money on replacing things as long as they keep working. Eventually, there will be a point where we see a large failure simply due to aging components, and then, it will take so long to replace them, that even a local outage may be prolonged.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have to agree with him, i have invested time and money to make sure i never have to explain to the kids why they are hungry and why there is no food. But on the same hand, there is power in numbers, if they arrive willing to work, join and help out and can be trusted to be allowed in, then i may consider taking them on.
But if they are there to just take and get what they can, they wont make it to the door.
Its not something i would really like to do, or want to do, but in a situation where its them or family, they will loose.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join