It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Upset Over Art - "Tree"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
French Conservatives Struggle With Giant Inflatable "Tree"

French ultra-conservatives are pretty upset that there's a giant [snip] in the middle of Place Vendome, says Gawker.

The artist behind the 78-foot inflatable foreign object, Paul McCarthy, calls it a tree. In fact, "Tree" is the piece's official name.

Unfortunately, they're not the only ones who took umbrage with the ambiguously sexual sculpture. On Thursday, the artist was attacked by an unknown assailant while installing "Tree."

The director of FIAC, the Contemporary Art Fair, which is hosting the sculpture, says the attack was regrettable and not representative of France as a whole, but that her office has received complaints that McCarthy was corrupting and misusing the “sacred symbol” of the Christmas tree, according to ArtNet.
Huffington Post Link

I consider myself an art enthusiast and also and artist but this installation has me wondering right now. . .

Personally, from first glance it is hilarious and the fact it is in France makes it even more satirical. His perversion of the 'Christmas Tree' has left many in the general area very upset though, I wonder what Santa would say?

So is this the future of our art world, has the induction of the "Jackass" crew into the MOMA created a trend where Howard Stern would be considered moderate? I for one love it - In France!
You won't find me putting this sculpture up in my backyard!
(Did I really just say that)

Just for fun, be nice or you'll get in trouble. . . AB
edit on 10/22/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think it is great fun, and am not unhappy it is ruffling the feathers in France. It would not hurt if they could get over themselves and have a giggle.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
the plug was destroyed already

Source

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Somebody 'popped' it!
Stupid vandals, I guess it was a sore subject for them.
We'll always have the memories though and the pictures.

I'm thinking Christmas Cards - any takers?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
the plug was destroyed already

Source

What?
They pulled the plug on the plug?

I guess the French aren't into that.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Personally, from first glance it is hilarious and the fact it is in France makes it even more satirical. His perversion of the 'Christmas Tree' has left many in the general area very upset though, I wonder what Santa would say?

Yes... butt
what gets me laughing are two things... How come those conservative people in the general area are upset, why should they get upset it just looks like a "ahem" simple xmas tree no... *cough cough*

Secondly, and even more hilarious... notice where the plu... erm xmas tree has been *coughs* erected :

Slap bang right next to the Vendôme Column (the large ALSO rather rude looking monument in the square)...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It looks like a giant chess piece to me, like a pawn and a bishop had a baby.

I'm guessing that people in France think it looks like a phallus. Maybe one from a giant green man from Mars perhaps.

If they think this looks like a wee-wee, those French guys must have strangely shaped genitals.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

You schould read eeehm visualized up on your pron

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

There is only one way to know such things, an object identifying app like

this one

dont you have snails to torture anyways?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: Rodinus

There is only one way to know such things, an object identifying app like

this one

dont you have snails to torture anyways?

Just downloading the snail pics right now should have everything finalised for tomorrow morning... *Licks lips*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I just had the image of Godzilla in the emergency room having that thing removed.
"Christmas tree" my arse.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ok, I can defend pr0n as free speech, but art? Are we sure these conservative French folks are upset over the sexual connotations of the Tree or are they actually rather "stuffy" in their notions of what makes good art?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
after 78 yrs, nice to see he still has his plug fetish.

Perhaps a pro-lapse in judgement?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Akin to the pyramid at the Louvre. Why trash the architecture with such garbage?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

"Christmas tree" my arse.

That's the idea. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

join