It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rwanda to screen U.S. visitors for Ebola

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Oh my, guess the tables are being turned now

The East African nation of Rwanda is requiring all visitors from the United States and Spain to self-monitor, fill out an extensive questionnaire and report their medical condition for the first 21 days of their visits because of the Ebola cases that have surfaced in the two Western countries.

www.usatoday.com...

The order by the Rwanda government to visiting Americans and Spaniards was posted Tuesday on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Rwanda:

"On October 19, the Rwandan Ministry of Health introduced new Ebola Virus Disease screening requirements. Visitors who have been in the United States or Spain during the last 22 days are now required to report their medical condition—regardless of whether they are experiencing symptoms of Ebola—by telephone by dialing 114 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. for the duration of their visit to Rwanda (if less than 21 days), or for the first 21 days of their visit to Rwanda. Rwandan authorities continue to deny entry to visitors who traveled to Guinea, Liberia, Senegal, or Sierra Leone within the past 22 days."

Evidently because one man died here [U.S.] from Ebola as well as Spain having 2 that died, Rwanda is taking precautions

So far, Rwanda has been unaffected by the Ebola outbreak and has reported no cases of the virus
Hope they are able to stay that way...

edit on 22-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Its obviously smart decisions like this that have kept Ebola out of their region, maybe the US should be thinking about doing similar seems they arent stopping the planes or anything, just their little screenings then off you go.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Its obviously smart decisions like this that have kept Ebola out of their region, maybe the US should be thinking about doing similar seems they arent stopping the planes or anything, just their little screenings then off you go.

Um. Rwanda is "just" screening too.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

OOOOORRRRRRRR.......... Could it be a retaliation to that texas school that kicked out two students from Rwanda recently?
For fear that they may have contracted the virus. Mean while Rwanda is 2600 miles away from the epidemic.....

Its a stretch but it may have something to do with this.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The East African nation of Rwanda is requiring all visitors from the United States and Spain to self-monitor, fill out an extensive questionnaire and report their medical condition for the first 21 days of their visits because of the Ebola cases that have surfaced in the two Western countries.

They are also having them report their medical condition for the first 21 days of the visit that was what i was meaning by more, sorry didn't know the US was doing that aswell thought it was just the ebola testing at the airport and thats it.. I havent been keeping up with it much in past few days.

ETA if the US did make people report for first 21 days they would have been all over Duncans case and there would have been no being sent home from the hospital the first time.
edit on 22-10-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

How is screening people retaliation?
What did Spain do to them?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

OOOOORRRRRRRR.......... Could it be a retaliation to that texas school that kicked out two students from Rwanda recently?
For fear that they may have contracted the virus. Mean while Rwanda is 2600 miles away from the epidemic.....

Its a stretch but it may have something to do with this.

Yeah I read that in the article as well but wasn't sure if the 2 were related being as Spain was included in the screening
Coincidence, sure ....

They may just be overly cautious, doing the same thing the U.S. is supposed to be doing by screening
So far, they have a better track record than we do for being Ebola free

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

ETA if the US did make people report for first 21 days they would have been all over Duncans case and there would have been no being sent home from the hospital the first time.

The thing is, Duncan lied on his paperwork about where he was coming from being near a person infected with Ebola

If Duncan had been forth coming about where he had been, being Liberia,answering 'YES' to being near someone with Ebola on the exit form, they might have been able to detect it sooner and saved him

But there lies the problem
Getting people to be truthful on these forms

edit on 22-10-2014 by snarky412 because: fix my 'memory' error with the actual fact which is still just as bad....

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

The thing is, Duncan lied on his questionnaire about where he was coming from
No. He didn't. There was no "questionnaire" and no one asked where he was from.

DUNCAN EMERGENCY ROOM TIMELINE
The second document indicates that Duncan first arrived at the Emergency Department at 10:37 p.m. Triage began for Duncan at 11:36 p.m., at which point, “Obtaining the patient’s travel history was not part of the triage nurses’ process on September 25, 2014.” The timeline later showed that there was an RN assessment from 12:33 to 12:44 a.m. At that point, “The nurse documents that Mr. Duncan ‘came from Africa 9/20/2014’” and “RN states she recalls the discussion because of how long the plane flight was. (She had personal experience with very long plane flights). Attached no further significance to this travel history.”

energycommerce.house.gov...

edit on 10/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Well that must be some of the misinformation out there because that was discussed in one of the threads when it first came out about Duncan

I'll see if I can find it, because that would make a difference

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Well that must be some of the misinformation

You think?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

This is what I was referring to:

Liberian authorities said Thursday they will prosecute Dallas Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan when he returns home for allegedly lying on his airport departure screening questionnaire about whether he had had contact with a person infected with the virus.

Liberia says Dallas Ebola patient lied on exit documents

"On the form obtained by the Associated Press and confirmed by a Liberian government official, Duncan answered "no" to questions about whether he had cared for an Ebola patient or touched the body of someone who had died in an area affected by Ebola."

This is what I'm talking about on how to keep people from omitting the truth on these forms
We can't....

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Here is what you said:

The thing is, Duncan lied on his paperwork about where he was coming from

If Duncan had been forth coming about where he had been, being Liberia, they might have been able to detect it sooner and saved him
There was no paperwork about where he was coming from. He didn't lie to anyone who was caring for him in the US. No one asked him on an official basis and there was no requirement that anyone do so.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Well that must be some of the misinformation

You think?

No need to be snide

I provided my link to the info...it just took me a minute

Liberia was going to arrest Duncan if he had been able to return home for lying on the exit documents
It was a big discussion in one the threads about how easily it is for someone to lie about where they had come from being in contact with someone with Ebola

edit on 22-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

It was a big discussion in one the threads about how easily it is for someone to lie about where they had come from

He didn't.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Here is what you said:

If Duncan had been forth coming about where he had been, being Liberia, they might have been able to detect it sooner and saved him
There was no paperwork about where he was coming from. He didn't lie to anyone who was caring for him in the US. No one asked him.

No, I'm talking about when Duncan left Liberia, he lied on those forms to get into the U.S., not the hospital

On the form for his airport departure screening questionnaire about whether he had had contact with a person infected with the virus, he lied by saying "NO"...

On the form obtained by the Associated Press and confirmed by a Liberian government official, Duncan answered "no" to questions about whether he had cared for an Ebola patient or touched the body of someone who had died in an area affected by Ebola.

Yes, it was about him being around a person infected with Ebola, not actually that he left Liberia
I was trying to remember the thread from last week

Had he been truthful, he would probably been put in quarantine right a way and given proper treatment for Ebola before it was too late

The point is, there is no way to stop people from lying on these forms and that is what Duncan did

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

No, I'm talking about when Duncan left Liberia, he lied on those forms to get into the U.S., not the hospital
No. You were talking about what happened in Dallas. This is what you said.

No one asked him where he was from.

The point is, there is no way to stop people from lying on these forms and that is what Duncan did
The point is, how do you know that he knew he had been in contact with someone with ebola?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

It was a big discussion in one the threads about how easily it is for someone to lie about where they had come from

He didn't.

So I guess the Liberia government made all that up about arresting the man for lying on the exit form about being near an Ebola patient
Which means USA Today's article is wrong to

Yes -- I was wrong in stating that he omitted 'where' he had come from
But what he had lied about was extremely important and cost him his life

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Perhaps had he know that he had been in contact with someone infected with ebola he would have been concerned about his own health.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

No. You were talking about what happened in Dallas.

No, YOU keep talking about Dallas

I keep telling you that I'm referring to when he left Liberia
Did you even read the news articles I posted?

How do you know that he lied about being in contact with someone infected with ebola?

This is the kind of response I expect from a newbie, who does not read the article clips, not you Phage

That is what I've been trying to tell you via USA Today, they are the ones that posted it

Evidently the government of Liberia knew he lied because they were going to prosecute him for denying being around a person with Ebola on the exit form

Liberian authorities said Thursday they will prosecute Dallas Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan when he returns home for allegedly lying on his airport departure screening questionnaire about whether he had had contact with a person infected with the virus.

I believe Liberia govt. so if you want to argue it, take it up with them
I'm sure they know more about it than me or you

On the form obtained by the Associated Press and confirmed by a Liberian government official, Duncan answered "no" to questions about whether he had cared for an Ebola patient or touched the body of someone who had died in an area affected by Ebola.

"He will be prosecuted" when he returns to Liberia, Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority, told reporters.

"Prosecuting an Ebola patient for lying on his screening form represents a particularly harsh treatment for someone on the precipice of death," Ohlin said. "Usually, compassion is the order of the day for Ebola patients. However, the Liberian government is clearly concerned that members of the public will not take their screening protocols seriously. If Ebola patients know that there are no legal consequences for lying on these forms, they will not take the screening seriously. And if travelers don't take the screening seriously, other countries will respond by closing air travel to Liberia."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join