It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communicating Lovingly/Respectfully/Effectively with People of Disparate World Views

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Presuppositions:

1). We all use language symbolically/allegorically to varying degrees, and while words are supposed to have firm definitions, what a given word means to one speaker is going to be wildly different than what it means to another.

2). If we spend most of our time arguing over basic definitions and trying to assert our world-view as truest and superior to all other world-views, we miss out on the opportunity to connect with someone on a personal level and to engage in mutually transformative communication.

3). Communication is truly a transaction between minds and when you meet someone else in the lobby to their interior world and attempt to understand things from their perspective, you enable your communication to penetrate beyond the mask and the defenses of the person, opening the door for an opportunity for growth in both participants.

I know many people will view this as rudimentary, but for a borg minded imbecile such as myself, this just struck me today, and after an entire day of trying to meet others on their own terms non-judgmentally and just engaging with them on their level, the quality of my communication and the depth of growth and social integration I have personally experienced has been to a much higher degree. Even my family is being more loving to me. It is like for the first time they look at me and actually like what they see. Can I take that as a good sign?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have no words...
S&F for your thoughts...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Oh, I should mention that this is basically a synthesis of Transactional Analysis and NLP. I have read those theories before, but I never had the emotional capacity to understand them. So, this isn't really a novel idea as much as it is a summation of finally understanding what probably comes naturally to many people. I can tell you this much, if I can get it, anybody can get it. It just took me 31 years. No big deal. ;p

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
a reply to: Bigburgh

Oh, I should mention that this is basically a synthesis of Transactional Analysis and NLP. I have read those theories before, but I never had the emotional capacity to understand them. So, this isn't really a novel idea as much as it is a summation of finally understanding what probably comes naturally to many people. I can tell you this much, if I can get it, anybody can get it. It just took me 31 years. No big deal. ;p

Hehe..31 years? that's all..

I was a bit moved.. I will not add..
But it resonated ... thanks

edit on 20-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

ETA: it's a bit of my guideline here on ATS...
No I will not make everyone happy.. but I will try to see and hear what is being conveyed ...

edit on 21-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Make friends with someone who doesn't speak your language.
It can be fun and enlightening.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
the hard part is doing this in a political view point.
i have been trying to find a way to develop something new by bringing disparate views together in an attempt to find a median ground for governance.

its one thing to chat about coffee and weather, try chatting about taxes and policing!!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: okamitengu
the hard part is doing this in a political view point.
i have been trying to find a way to develop something new by bringing disparate views together in an attempt to find a median ground for governance.

its one thing to chat about coffee and weather, try chatting about taxes and policing!![/quote
Politics and religion are pure poison.
Be in nature. Get drunk and get naked.
Make art.
There will never be a resolution through politics. Never. It only divides.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

while i concur, the majority of people need a system to "house" them.
and there serioulsy has to be a better system than what we have now.

because frankly, I don't think this system works.
which means I HAVE to talk this stuff through

new topics

top topics

join