It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush to Visit NATO, EU on February 22

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
President Bush will make a diplomatic trip to Europe in February. During the trip, he will meet leaders of the European Union and NATO. The trip is being called a move to rebuild a relationship strained by the war in Iraq.

story.news.yahoo.com
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - President Bush will visit NATO and the European Union on Feb. 22 in a move to rebuild transatlantic relations at the start of his second term, European NATO diplomats said Thursday.

Secretary of State Colin Powell, who is in Brussels for a NATO foreign ministers' meeting, said Wednesday that Bush planned to make the first overseas visit after his inauguration next month to Europe but gave no date.

"We are reaching out to Europe and we hope that Europe will reach out to us," he said in a public lecture, appealing for more European help to stabilize Iraq and Afghanistan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Blair has been lobbying hard to help mend the transatlantic fence, and has made it a goal / priority of his. European help would no doubt be welcome in Iraq as the nation rebuilds. However, while many will pin hopes on this trip, I doubt that anything substantive will come of it. Bush can then say he tried and leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I agree Fred that little will come of this, even if European leaders attempt to mend bridges, the population of their countries will not be behind them.

I think we will see more of an effort to mend damaged ties when a new president comes to power. Hopefully in four years time relationships and support will increase for the good.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Is there any significance of the 22nd day? 22 is double 11, both very important numbers in numerology, as you know. HMMM

new topics

join