It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Apocalypse and US "Preppers"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Source

But why is the United States apparently full of people ready abandon their comforts and revert to a simpler, more basic lifestyle in the face of hypothetical disaster? David MacLeod, a psychologist with a special interest in disaster psychology, says it's a US phenomenon.

"The Americans are among the most superstitious and religious people - the largest number of Christian fundamentalist believers anywhere," he told Channel 4 News.

"There's something in the US mindset that looks for these kinds of quasi-religious ideas. And the other thing about Americans is that they're very suggestible."

He also thinks that survivalists are prey to a certain kind of pessimism. "People of that mindset are very often, in ordinary terms, anxious. They may be superstitious.

"If they're exposed to such (survivalist) beliefs, they're prone to begin to look at the world very suspiciously. Then these sorts of myths are generated and become a belief system."

It may be that, just as health workers in west Africa have to combat local supertitions as they fight to limit Ebola's spread, so a different set of irrational fears and responses are at play among the citizens of the richest country in the world.

I found this article pretty condescending towards "Preppers" as they call it, Survivalists and even Conspiracy Theorists. Thought it would put it out there for your digestion, what say you ATS?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

They've just found another way to talk down to us, it seems like they don't want the masses to believe, they have any reason to actually question anything, or any sort of story.

And preparing goes very far back people in the old days, had to store food for winter or they would starve. Perhaps we are just attempting to add a level of comfort to our strange time.

Good find!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You are right...very condescending.

I remember growing up long ago where prepping and survival skills were something we were all supposed to have and now governments frown upon it...as well as off grid living.

Off grid living is the single most number 1 way to fight against the government. This number might be completely wrong but I thought I read a year or 2 back that there were over 250,000 people living off grid and it was growing well. Couple that with preppers that live normally.

Thats why we are seeing weird county laws of taxing people with solar panels.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I caught the prepping disease and I can certainly see how it could cause people to lose sanity due to life hobby per prepping for death.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Those that question the supremacy of authority are offensive to those that bow to it.
edit on 20-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Interesting. No reference there to all the nukes that the superpowers have or to the debt based economy the US has. Maybe this guy just believes that preppers are superstitious, but to me they seem to be aware of the history of mankind and especially the United States. We have had many instances of the economy going bad in this country and people having to eat what they had stored or go hungry. Maybe the writer of that article should go see a psychiatrist, he is definitely living in a fantasy world.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
When the other side resorts to ad hominems in an attempt to rally mob mentality, you know you're on the right side.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
By their definition our grandparents, great grandparents were preppers. Reliance on the system wasn't an accident, it was created to ensure complete dependency. If the system is the only provider, one doesn't consider going to outside sources. Complete dependency on a collapsed system ensures chaos, so they can introduce a different system of control.

Most of the US, and many of the people on this planet have lost touch with nature. Not only the trees and being able to read the signs, finding food, but the cosmos. We've become united with technology but we're so divided and distant. We take from nature and have no concept for the most part of where it comes from and how to replenish it.

Prepping is valuable but what's even more valuable is learning how to live off the land, where the true comforts like electricity and batteries, machine-made clothing. All the things that define modern life.

Hypothetically, if the system totally collapsed next week with no hope of electricity or communication past earshot for generations....

I think we'd have a better chance of surviving as a species if many prepped to create things from scratch, knew what plants and animals to eat, all the outdoor skills, building rock ovens, etc, etc... than if we just stocked up on dehydrated food and batteries.

They don't want self-sufficiency they want dependency. All the negative publicity about preppers and people who are truly off the grid is just to make people think they're crazy and hopeless. S + F

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Many people who claim to be preppers would be loath to give up even the most simple comforts, like cable tv, until TSHTF.

If you're truly prepping for the end of civilization, the only way to do this is to live like civilization doesn't exist, even while it does.

Show me that you can do this when there's a full support system, and I'll believe you can when there is zero support.

There are very, very few people that could truly survive without the support systems that most of us have come to depend on.

Many people like to bragg about their survival skills, survival hoards, and survival gear, but very, very few could actually survive if worldwide or even local support systems collapsed.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

Show me that you can do this when there's a full support system, and I'll believe you can when there is zero support.

What you believe really doesn't matter now does it?
If the balloon goes up, everyone will learn some new lessons.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I agree with everything you said Yeahkeepwatchingme. The more we learn about basics and how to be self sufficient then the farther ahead we will be of others. Not that it is a race or who's better than the other - what I mean is we will not have to depend on others. Do I really want to find out that the person that tags along with me/my family has no clue about anything and I was hoping they would have some idea? No, it's my responsibility.

Here in Calgary, last year we had the massive flood. In September we had a huge and unexpected snowfall which had several thousand people without electricity for a week. Last week there was an electrical fire downtown leaving downtown residents without power for close to a week. Tornadoes have been moving closer and closer every year.

I can't believe how many people I used to work with that didn't even know how to treat a headache or simple fever. Ha, ha and then there was the woman at work who had NO CLUE that the sun rose in the East and went to bed in the West. No clue, I was floored. People are so disconnected from nature and it's nature that has been hitting slamming us relentlessly now for some time. And it's just going to get worse. People have allowed themselves to be lazy and dependent. It's shameful.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Well, I know of one author that won't be allowed in my bunker nor will he get any of my beans.

Peace

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Just my two cents.... fairly spot on.

Nothing wrong with being prepared but we take it to a whole new level in this country. We must lead the world in personal bunkers per person ratio.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I had never really considered that it wasn't something that happened in other countries?

*snickers* Says a lot about our trust in our government to handle any kind of major emergency

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

We lead in personal bunkers because there is no longer a "Civil Defense" department.

The Russians, Swiss, and others actually plan shelters for their population. Here, we are now on our own as Civil Defense is out and Continuity of Government is in.

Our grandparents came out of the great depression. They saved EVERYTHING including bread ties of all things. Those in their 40's to 60's grew up in a different era where the threat of nuclear war was very real.

edit on 20-10-2014 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Humans live to about 76 or so... just accept your mortality and live your darn life.

This is all my opinion.... Im just glad so many americans are ready to live their paltry years left in a zombie, nuclear, or ebola apocalypse. ... psst psst... that will not happen.

Just live people and quit worrying about the doom that will never come.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
I had never really considered that it wasn't something that happened in other countries?

*snickers* Says a lot about our trust in our government to handle any kind of major emergency

Oh it is , try Switzerland , by law they have a nuclear bunker for each home . And for that matter ask Ray Mears or Bear Grylls or similar how much they charge a day for corporate 'professionals' to go on survival courses . £$£$£s!

Ever read the govt. continuity plans ? Such things lead unto thick skins , and knowledge of certain buzzwords like pandemic , and HazMat. Maybe the govt should read them , they're due an update . Is the bloke trying to phase out from the public the willingness to live ?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yeah and the motto of the boy scouts > "Be Prepared"
That's a hiding to nothing from us .

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Try to discredit us will they????

David MacLeod, a psychologist...

Almost every psychologist I've ever met were in need of help for their own behavior and mental processes.

If and when a 'SHTF' scenario breaks out these 'survivalists' will be the ones picking up the pieces. the surviving 'psychologist' can try as they might to evaluate their way into food and shelter all they want.

Doesn't look like a very good prognosis for their survival...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Heck, I started "prepping" years ago after Hurricane Andrew, and I didn't even know it! Living on the lower East Coast, I'd get my Hurricane Box together every spring. Now I just have a bigger box.
Also, if squirrels "prep" for winter (or lean times) why can't we?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join