It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

internet trolling become crime in UK. 2years prison for offenders.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That really doesn't justify the logic behind why they would do it.

I mean, is it realistic to assume a person typing away a threatening message on there laptop would honestly think to themselves "hold on, maybe if it was only 6 months imprisonment it might be worth it, but 2 years is to much?"

It's more about chipping away the right to free speech without people noticing imo. We're frogs in a pot of cold water, slowly being turned up to boiling point.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SomePeople
The press are using the word "trolling" to mean "internet bullying".
And it's been a crime since 2003. These are just new penalties.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomePeople
Is it trolling that's a crime there now, or bullying?

They really mean cyberbullies... if it was trolling there'd be millions of people in trouble.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
I wasn't trying to justify anythng.
I'm just toning down the "new crime has been created" hype.

link   
I just want to add, as someone who has been charged with terrorist threats!!, being damn near kidnapped by police for something you say is BAT# CRAZY. People need to wake up and realize that unless you are intending to follow through with your threat, IE making realistic plans and NOT posturing, you are not committing a real crime. Its a "THOUGHT CRIME" # OFF with your "terrorist threats" and "trolling" laws. And add the double jeopardy(pay for a single crime 2x) imposing hate crime. Even if they are serious, do they deserve to be kidnapped for 2 years. ??

As long as the government steals time, we will be living in a dystopia much like where you have a timer on your wrist, and the only difference between those free and those in prison are bits of (manipulated) computer data. Soon enough we will see the keys have been stolen, and the locks replaced with retinal scan.

Example: You say some profane stuff you will do to me over the internet. I come to your house, bust down the door and make you my literal (radacted) for 2 years. Sound Fair?

In Time

Sooner or later someone will have to lead us to the light, because we've been in the dark so long we forgot how to use our eyes.

edit on 19-10-2014 by nrd101 because: sorry for the harsh language

edit on 19-10-2014 by nrd101 because: paragraphs

link   
a reply to: Pandaram

what is the definition of trolling, whats the bet its anything that counters the official story?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It's basically harassment, but just on the Internet. I know I wouldn't want it to happen to me. Not the same as a troll on ATS. Someone threatening you with violence would be pretty scary online. Of course it should be a crime

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Doesn't this already fall under the communications act or whatever it is?
Threatening abusive behaviour via phone, internet or mail?
Seems like they're just rebranding it?
edit on 19/10/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

originally posted by: SomePeople
Is it trolling that's a crime there now, or bullying?

They really mean cyberbullies... if it was trolling there'd be millions of people in trouble.

I was going to say - heck even I would be in prison!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
Yes, 2003.
The new proposal is to make the penalties under that act harsher.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

The trolling of the McCanns haopened primarily because of Murdoch news outlets starting it. They were instructed to do so to take the heat off the government. Divide and conquer yet again and still so few know or care. Another little cut in the armor of freedom.

The West is destroying itself bit by bit. I hope the East and South do a better job with their power after the West collapses. That's assuming America doesn't turn the world into a wasteland like a spoiled child who would rather break his own toy than share it.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I am sorry but the people behind passing this law in the uk are a bunch of wealthy stuck up parrents who can't teach their children to do anything to defend themselves, they don't build self esteem correctly, they use even worse words when scrutinizing their children, and most of all.... they don't know how to deal with it themselves.

I was picked on, bullied, beat up, spat on, made fun of, called a lot of names including a pedophile by other ass holes on the bus. And I was poor. Very poor.

But you know what I find even more hilarious than all the # my enemies did to me? I have met some of them in the past few years to find out each and everyone of them is no better than I am. Some of them are dead because of a bad decision they made. Others can't even handle yard work. Some of them turned gay. Some of them became what they called me. All of them ended up worse off than I am. Did I need to jail them for what they said to me back then? Hell no. They #ed themselves for me.

2 years in jail? No. Jail time doesn't stop a troll. Making the troll pay their victim thousands of dollars publicly on youtube will stop a troll. Jail time only promotes hatred.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
It's basically harassment, but just on the Internet. I know I wouldn't want it to happen to me. Not the same as a troll on ATS. Someone threatening you with violence would be pretty scary online. Of course it should be a crime

You know whats scary? really its prison, rape, abuse, torture, assault, confinement, the list goes on and on for something that really amounts to nothing. You don't like the message? then don't read it. These "victims" are willing participants right? They are the one's engaging their addiction to the internet - we know the internet is not SAFE stop pretending we can make it safe and "patrol" the interwebs. This is why we have a "friends" list, so we filter those we don't like. You don't have to be public on the internet, that is your choice.

Ok, You see the real problem here, is that you CAN'T stop it. Its basically like trying to win the drug war. This will only lead to an English internet, where no foreigners are allowed because they are impossible to track/police and control.

Already having pron problems? lol

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
If you cant express yourself verbally anymore I would expect more psychopathic murders to surface .

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Amazing post. People are super obsessed with enacting "solutions" when do much could be solved with common sense and a good attitude. Jail time is the punishment for far far far too much already. We don't need more crimes on the books.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
What's to stop a troll from using a proxy server and a false id..

I would have thought the Police have better things to do on the public dime.

And what constitutes trolling..surely there has to be guidlines...or this this one of these on the hoof made up laws that the Judges have been given carte Blanche to deal with.?
edit on 19-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Yawns.

I'm wondering if hu-mans will ever see their errors. The ones that make laws against the flock could also be considered trolls...i prefer the term lizard.

I'm merely here to hold up the mirror to your face and show you whats going on.

I might add....Seems to be a new tactic to zero out everything as an Opinion. What if its a fact?

edit on 19-10-2014 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Hahaha. Yeah right! I do not live in the UK. So, what happens if I troll you on youtube?
Nothing. Stupid law. If you can't handle the internet, then unplug it.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It's funny that they bring this law in now, just as most politicians have started using social networking to get their message out to the masses.

Internet trolling has been going on for years and the more extreme cases have always been investigated by police anyway, this just doesn't make sense.

If you threaten someone with physical violence, then there are already laws in place to deal with this. If you disagree with someone's opinion and choose to use some exotic language to get your point across, it isn't trolling.

If,like in the case of the McCann's someone states that they feel it was their own fault for leaving their children alone, then they are entitled to their opinion. This isn't trolling, it's expressing an opinion. Even if they state they wish something bad on you, that's their opinion, that's not trolling, unless they state that they are going to do something bad to you. Then a threat has been made and the police should become involved.

No, there is more to this than meets the eye I'm afraid, another erosion of freedoms of speech.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Then again, I'd be in favour of bringing the stocks back for anyone that sets out to intimidate, abuse, terrify, threaten or harass.

Hi mate , now that's a great idea

Instead of sending trolls and other petty criminals to prison which costs the tax payer how about Britain's got Stocks , kind of like Britain's got Talent but with stocks , it would rake in millions in both viewers and revenue ..... I've never watched any of the talent shows but I think I'd watch Britain's got Stocks ... prime Saturday evening viewing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join