It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

that topical capsaisin cream? do NOT use it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The directions said to apply it to the areas with arthritis and then rub it in. I got some of it and some bengay because I have bad rheumatoid arthritis in all knuckles and such and I work a factory job with major hand work all night long.

So I thought the capsaisin was like icy hot and slathered it on thick like lotion, rubbed it in and did a second thick coat and rubbed it in too.

Now my hands are napalm times 100000000000000000000000000000000 and red, so much pain, blistering a wee bit (if the few white dots are blisters and not the normal skin coming back from being red) and omg. I had NO idea this stuff was freakin' hot pepper spray. And only after sobbing online did I find out that you're to put a tiny dab on and use gloves. that was NOT on the box or bottle of capsaisin.

I'm hurting and ugh. took the stuff back and got money back. I have done water, milk, rubbing alcohol, sour cream, toothpaste, and vaseline and nothing works. nothing. Been about 3.5 hours and no relief. I hope this will pass soon.

So just a warning.
Don't use this stuff unless you know what it is. It should NOT be an over the counter thing. What if a kid or elderly person or someone with far more sensitive skin than I got hold of it? Not all of us know what 'capsaisin' is - we just see 'great arthritis pain relief' and run with it hoping for help, not hades.

I have never been affected by napalm, but I have a feeling this is what it feels like. HOTTER AND HOTTER AND HOTTER. i'm almost sickeningly curious just how hot this crap can get. Scary stuff.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833
I had the same exact reaction to it, as did my husband.

Pretty rugged stuff.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My husband uses it for his back pain, and I use it for my CFS joint issues (Icy Hot, mainly) I've never had this reaction before. Then again, I've never slathered it on like sunblock, either. The stuff is pretty greasy anyway IMO, it takes a while to soak in.

Honestly, it does not sound like user error here, but more like you have an outright allergy. I know one person who can't use anything with it in it because they blister like crazy & sometimes get hives along with the blisters.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I used capsaicin liquid on my elbow about ten hours ago. When I took a shower and washed the application site it caused extreme heat and redness on my skin.

Added 25 Jun 2012:

I found a solution! I bathed the area with vinegar and within minutes it stopped the intense burning, and after 30 minutes the redness was gone. Thanks to all who responded to my question.

www.drugs.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hey OP....you may want to invest In a paraffin wax spa machine. It is not the same wax they use to remove hair in salons...it is a paraffin wax that is moisturizing. But the warm/heat of the wax gets into your knuckles and can help with arthritis. ....you can purchase them on amazon.com....some are cheaper and some are not, just do your research on the size of machine. Some come with wax, and some do not, but you want paraffin wax if you buy wax separate.....I had arthritis in my finger pinkies and bought a machine, and used it for almost a year, and arthritis is gone! Just an FYI......oh...and don't use the machine until your hands have healed from your caspian cream burns.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
See capsaicin does help me, but I'm not allergic to it and I eat mine.

I'm sorry you're so sensitive to it.

Milk will help you get it off, and you might try avocado as that seems to soak the heat in most foods I eat when I get too much spice.

But I think once you have the blistering you're just going to have to wait for those to heal.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I used a arthritis cream that had capasisin in it.. Boy do i know what you mean. I did the same thing as you..took a hot shower and I thought i was going to pass out..lol

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Yes, that type of stuff is evil (from personal experience). Have you ever tried Voltaren? Amazing stuff. It's pricey but it is worth it.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

that reminds me of an experience, we used it on our knees and after a while you don't feel heat....about 6 hours after applying,we, went into the jacuzzi, the spots where we applied it REALLY heated up.......buyer beware.

gloves is a good idea because even if you wash your hands really good and then touch your private parts later OUCH!

I touched my eye, when I thought I didn't have any left on my hands, not fun

edit on 18-10-2014 by research100 because: add sentence

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My husband had the same reaction
He is very allergic to it

Oh a whim, I ran in the backyard where we have a couple of aloe vera plants growing.
I cut a couple off, split them open and put it on where he was having the terrible reaction.
Worked really well.......

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's been going on since 1.30 pm today, and its now 8.30pm. I have tried milk, water, soap and water, cooking oil (the soap and water and cooking oil was recommended BY the product's site about if it starts burning bad), rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, vinegar, and even sour cream. Not a solitary thing has helped though the water (cold) does turn the burn off for a few minutes.

I had NO clue it wasn't like icy hot. You would think they'd make the directions on the box and bottle to use a small amount and do not rub it in.

lesson learned though not fun.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I'll look into the parafin wax machine for sure. heat is great on my joints.
Just not napalm heat like this. It's like I have my hands an inch from a space heater on high and I can not move away, period.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You have to understand what it is you are applying to your skin and have a rough idea about the mode of action.

Capsaicin is derived from chilli peppers and is an irritant.

It WILL cause a burning sensation the first time you use it.

You're supposed to apply it 4 times a day for that very reason (the idea being that the skin will become accustomed to the burning sensation the more times you use it, and each successive application will be less uncomfortable).

The snag is that you have to keep applying the stuff for a good few weeks before you notice an improvement in your pain levels generally.

But it does work.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It's fine if you use it correctly and aren't allergic or have extremely sensitive skin. Every tube warns that it burns. Sorry you found out the hard way. Get a big tub of plain yogurt, empty it enough that you can stick both hands in without it overflowing and keep them there for 20 minutes. If you're still suffering do another 20 minutes. Keep going til the burning is at least tolerable. And go to your doctor as soon as you can, that level of burning can cause nerve damage.

And not to pick on you OP, you're suffering and I really do empathize but please READ labels.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
oooh not nice i feel for you.

VERY good job you had no cause to handle your junk or you would have learnt
a whole new definition of pain!

sounds like the manufacturer need to provide some much clearer guidance on its use
and contents for allergy risk.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I did read it. it and the box said to apply it over the affected area and rub in.
only after I was napalm attacked and they got worse and worse that I went online and found out use a wee bit and use gloves to apply. I always follow directions.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I feel for ya.....milk or yougurt are my go-to when I use hot peppers in cooking and my hands burn. But sounds like your burn is more extreme. I have used "pure aloe " from my aloe plants when my hands have blistered with cooking accidents/burns. Cut an aloe stalk, slice it open long way, put the belly side down on your burn with the aloe skin side up. Wrap with gauze and leave it. You're skin will soak up the aloe and when you in wrap it, a few hours later, throw out the aloe stalk and repeat with fresh aloe. That should help heal .....and like I said, after your hands/skin are healed looke into the " parafin wax spa machine " ....you can also go to a salon or nail salon where they do manicures and pedicure and ask about it......most nail salons have them. The warm wax , when it's on your hands, penetrated deep into your joints. Good stuff!

new topics

top topics

join