It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Conducts an "Order 66" on McDonalds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

www.vox.com...

The Russian government appears to be waging a stealth campaign against the world's most famous fast food franchise, closing branches en masse, in what appears to be retaliation against the United States over its support of Ukraine's government in the ongoing conflict there.

The most famous such shuttered McDonald's is in Pushkin Square in Moscow. It was the first McDonald's to open in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union. According to the New York Times, it was the world's busiest McDonald's for many years. It was also one of the first to be shut down in the current spate of McDonald's closings.

Ostensibly, these McDonald's are being closed for health reasons. But analysts are skeptical.

"Russia has a tendency to ban foreign products, particularly food, for political reasons," National Journal's Marina Koren writes. The closures are designed, she says, "to send a message to the US and the Russians they may be trying to reach: The West is not welcome here." Starting with the Pushkin Square Mickey D's made that point, especially to Russians who remember the location's symbolic importance as a mark of the Cold War's end and of America's victory.

In purely economic terms, the war on McDonald's is, like so much of Russia's recent lashing out at the West, mostly self-defeating. There are give-or-take 437 McDonald's in Russia and they purchase about 85 percent of their supplies from Russian companies. So the anti-McDonald's campaign is, in a way, a microcosm of Putin's entire approach to the Ukraine crisis: damn the economic costs, full speed ahead on aggressive nationalist symbolic gestures.

Looks like cold war is hotter than i initially thought , Well ,at least the Russians can have something more healthier to eat now than the sad excuse of the fries and burger .

edit on 17-10-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2014 by Kandinsky because: fixed title typo

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I read about Russia closing many Mcdonalds a while back and it was due to severe health and sanitation violations.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Can you explain why you took this line out of that article?

Ostensibly, these McDonald's are being closed for health reasons. But analysts are skeptical.

It should be in between the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
it's sorcha faal

umm...

..errr

..i liked the topic title?

would you like borscht with that?

edit on 17-10-2014 by UNIT76 because: (no reason given)

i was also tinkering with "in soviet russia, macdonnel douglas eat you"

severe health and sanitation violations.

ah well ..next year in jerusalem japan
LINK

..ok, i'm done (more burger humor)
*crack*
/six hours later
"...hey, how'd i get out here?"
edit on 17-10-2014 by UNIT76 because: eddie murphey laughs at his own jokes too

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Can you explain why you took this line out of that article?

It should be in between the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.

Probably removed by mistake while removing other non relevant stuff . Just in case you are wondering, am Pro Russian usually.
Added those lines back in the OP
edit on 17-10-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Close down Mc Donalds in the US and you'd probably start a revolution

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

wasn't that gramsci's master plan to bring down the west?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
McDonalds sell poison...good for you Mr. Putin!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Probably removed by mistake while removing other non relevant stuff

Come on now, its the most relevant line in the whole article.
It is after all the reason they are closing them down.

Methinks you have an alterior motive, yes?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

am Pro Russian usually.

Pro Russian or Pro Putin?

Aren't McDonalds owned and operated by Russians in Russia as well?

Its a franchise.

In other News KFC counter attacks.

Year old source

U.S. Rival Yum Brands Inc (YUM.N), owner of the KFC brand, said this month it planned to open up to 70 restaurants in Russia and other former Soviet countries this year and was looking for new franchise partners to help drive growth.

Honestly, I avoid McDonalds.

am pro objectivity

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time: McTerrorism.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Will WW3 be initiated with neither a bang nor a whimper but rather over the squabble of a McNugget?

Peace

edit on 17-10-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

In purely economic terms, the war on McDonald's is, like so much of Russia's recent lashing out at the West, mostly self-defeating. There are give-or-take 437 McDonald's in Russia and they purchase about 85 percent of their supplies from Russian companies.

Is not this part really badly thought out logically. Say that Russia bans all McDonald's. Will not the people who would have eaten at McDonald's eat something else and thereby add to the Russian economy anyway? And this time maybe the money will be 100% in Russian economy instead of part of it trickling away to the west.

If the product do not exist in the market do you not choose a similar product that is close to what you want?

For instance today I wanted Pizza but could not get thru on the phone to order so I got Chinese instead since it was faster.
edit on 17-10-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Yeah well they always do this crap. When Guatemala had the swine flu that Mexico got blamed for, they stopped importing Meat from Spain. Spain had to piratically beg in the name of its businesses to have trade open up again and then pay them high sanctions for "health" reasons.

They can eat roasted bear for all I care. Fine by me.

Russian governments are usually full of crap. Health reasons. STOP INVADING OTHER COUNTRIES and all is well.

And before anyone says "well the US does it", we dont stay there and then adjust our borders to reflect our new bigger country....so dont compare outright conquest to modern interventionism. Both suck but lets not forget WHY Russia is suffering from international sanctions.
edit on 10 17 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

What about Russians who owned these Mcdonalds, the Russian trucking companies, and in country Russian manufacturing plants?
Thats many thousands of employees that will now look for work with possibly lesser working conditions.

They may work with other products, but nothing is going to sell and make them money like a Big mac.

EDIT TO ADD:
The only plus side to all this is that the pictures of fat Russian kids eating Mcdonalds who other people think are American kids will die down.

Thats Russian on the sign in the background.
edit on 10 17 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I personally eat at McDonald's in my country but there are substitutes that are similar and I cannot say that McDonald's is the preferred food in my taste. There are other similar chains in my country like Burger King or Max if I want a cheap burger. If I want a real burger there is always Bishops Arms and McDonald's burgers do not compare to those burgers but they are not as cheap eater.

A disaster for the owners of the McDonald's and a small dent in McDonald's corporation and the workers. I do also agree that Russia is probably being very overzealous towards McDonald's in their judgement. US/CIA/West/Saudi Arabia wanted to play the Syria/Ukraine scenarios and try to make Russia bend to the petrodollar/FED and the Russians did not wanna play that way and went the other way.

I am still waiting for a Russian retaliatory strike on Saudi Arabia (House of Saud) for the December 2013 Volgograd bombings.

And before anyone says "well the US does it", we dont stay there and then adjust our borders to reflect our new bigger country....so dont compare outright conquest to modern interventionism. Both suck but lets not forget WHY Russia is suffering from international sanctions.

No US/CIA installs puppets that normally are dictators and help Saudi Arabia to get a bigger hold on middle east that inforces Wahabbi/salafi thinking creating an ever bigger need to always intervene in the middle east when the Wahabbi goes insane (like ISIS) and increases the need to buy arms from The military complex.
edit on 17-10-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It is a symbolic move that of course in no way hurts a company like Mcdonalds but, does hurt a lot of Russians. It no doubt sticks in Putins craw that Russians love the place.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Will WW3 be initiated with neither a bang nor a whimper but rather over the squabble of a McNugget?

Peace

yep once people find out what is actually in those mcnuggets

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Seems russia put that CLOWN on LOCK-DOWN for all the unsanitary acts they do. I guess it all gives the CLOWNS mac-n crack a new meaning. The town CLOWN will be thrown out of town so don't exspect anymore toys anytime soon to pop up into your big Grab-Bag. IS THAT TO GO.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

Seems the CLOWN'S are on lockdown. www.youtu.be...

edit on 17-10-2014 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2014 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join