It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different types of drum music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
So tonight I was sent a video of a rather young woman belly dancing to a catchy drum beat.

I have heard these kinds of music before, but have absolutely no clue as to the style, culture or where this type of music comes from.

It is similar to the African style drum music, but has a distinct, almost latin or south American feel to it. The Native American style by comparison is very different, this is more upbeat with multiple rhythms and different types of percussion in almost a layer effect.

Surely someone out there in ATS land must be in the know and can direct me to bands or artists with this style.

Cheers everyone.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Can you provide a link to the video? Cause all I can think off, and is so not what your after is Jungle

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
For your percussive pallet…

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I believe most music for bellydancing is middle eastern. Also the most common drum used is a Dumbek.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Darbuka/Tabla - A Middle Eastern drum. The Darbuka, from the Arabic word "darba" ("to strike"), is known as a "Tabla" to the Egyptians. It began as a drum with a hollow clay base covered in fish or animal skin. Nowadays, the Darbuka can sport a wooden base covered with attractive mother-of-pearl or made from tougher alloy. The Darbuka, played open-handed, produces a variety of tones, from a deep, deep tone - called a "dom" - created by striking close to the center, to a light treble sound - called a 'tak" produced by striking the rim. When these main doms and taks are arranged in special combinations, the resulting series of Middle Eastern rhythms can be the basis for an emotive dance balad or a climatic "drum solo".

www.bellydancewithannakiya.com...

Don't know if this will help, but it is what I found.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Might want to check out Mickey Hart. Whatever style of drumming you are thinking, he probably has something like it out there.

go to about 1:20 if you don't want to wait

edit on 17-10-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: blackspirit

I have tried to find the original video on Youtube, but can't find it for the life of me.

I will keep searching if I find it and post it up here.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: beatzar

After all the comments I found the Doumbek style, it is Middle Eastern, and s the closest. I just love the whole drum beats stlye, it's very uplifting and energetic to listen to. Along with the others, such as Darbula and Tabla as well. It even wanders over into the dubstep style of music.

Thanks again everyone, I have some new stuff to indulge.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Dig into middle eastern traditional music and you will hear what youre looking for.
I have a lot of turkish tunes that are amazing

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Being a men's traditional dancer at powwows, this is my idea of drum music:

new topics

top topics

join