It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 48 million Americans live in poverty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

Why would I do that when I already know a carpentry trade? Oh wait... That market is completely over saturated like every other market.
edit on 10/16/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Apparently the numbers are wrong?

In case you haven't noticed my ability to correctly analyze and interpret statistics so far are better then yours and I rely on myself, books, and the Internet for my education.

And it looks like your math is off.

I'm also the only one using real data and sources to validate my point, care to join me?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Education is a key factor in so many aspects of life.

As a teacher, I wish more American's would realize that. The U.S. has steadily been cutting education in favor of spending billions on our military complex. Without a strong education system, a country will lack innovation and bright minds to lead the free world, and it will eventually cause the working economy to tank.

The U.S. is now causing millions of young people to go into enormous debt just to acquire a college education. They're causing parent's of these children to sign their houses away just to give their kids the ability to pursue a college degree. In the mean time, students loan defaults are at a staggering high. Eventually these house of cards will come crumbling down.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

The problem is Americans do realize that. That's why there's 21 million students in the us, and college tuition fees are so high.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You have not addressed the issues I have pointed out in your sources (not surprising,) but I will add a source with a relevant quote from it to save you from some reading.

"The demand from a range of industries – including research companies, colleges and government agencies – for data that spurs effective marketing strategies will lead to growth in this field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a whopping 31.6 percent employment increase between 2012 and 2022 and 131,500 new job openings."

Source: money.usnews.com...

EDIT: That is for ONE type of analyst by the way.
edit on 10/16/2014 by TycoonBarnaby because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The U.S. is now causing millions of young people to go into enormous debt just to acquire a college education.

Maybe this is a good reason to stress the importance of understanding mathematics in high school.

Maybe there's a deeper reason why they don't.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

What exactly are the job titles for the mathematics jobs? And... How many are there? Care to elaborate with sources?

Now, I'm not saying there's a lot of jobs out there but every job position in the fields I'm interested in claims to accept a math degree or a computer science degree. There is a ton of overlap between math and programming especially in game design which is where I'm focused. There's so much overlap in fact that a typical game design degree will require all the same math courses as a mathematics degree.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maluhia
a reply to: dreamingawake

Unless they also have ebola, no one will be all that interested right now. Such a shame. But we do have the best killing machines money can buy.

Something's gotta give...

Some things never change...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

i say it every time i see a thread discussing a lack of jobs: come to West Texas. You are likely to start work within a day or two of getting here (assuming you pass drug tests, etc) and can make $20/hr starting out. In the service type jobs, you can start at $12/hr. No, you won't get rich doing either. But its an income, and the common opinion is this boom cycle will last another decade. Plenty of time to make enough money to raise your family and then go back to nursing school or something to maintain your income and security.

If folks are willing to move around, like humans have done forever, then there are plenty of decent wages to earn.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

source

Although educational requirements to become a market research analyst vary by employer, market research analysts typically need a bachelor’s degree in marketing, market research, economics or a related field.

So...

nymag.com...

This year, as in most years, a plurality of the graduates of our nation's top-ranked schools will have degrees in economics. The so-called "dismal science" has been one of the most popular majors at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton for many consecutive years, and students for decades have treated economics departments as a step toward jobs on Wall Street and in consulting. In recent years, the lust for econ degrees has spread to even those Ivies that are not known for producing budding young financiers. Even at Brown — yes, Brown, the grades-optional lefty paradise — 17 percent of this year's graduating seniors had some kind of economics concentration under their belts. Brown is a bit miffed: President Christina Paxson has said too many economics concentrators see it as a Wall Street stepping-stone, and the school's economics department has spoken about how the wave of interest has strained its resources, as the following Brown Daily Herald graph demonstrates:

Ok ok that's just one example. Any others?

Look the data is going to be in my favor no matter how you spin it. There's way way more students then jobs for any jobs we need to rethink the economy period. The fact is it's not working for Al out everyone on the entire planet, only those at the top. And I case you didn't know, if you make 30+k a year your on top.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

This will be my last reply to you until you address my issues with your own sources.

First. You still bring up sources that are not based on mathematics degrees.

Second. Actuaries. www.bls.gov...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

What's wrong with my sources? Nothing there's more then enough of each kind of degree to go around.

I'm to tired for this right now maybe tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully someone in need of employment help catches that.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
What the article points out is just barely a brief summation of the real issues.

Seems so, wonder what isn't being released, or if it will be some other way if not official. Also, thanks for sharing(rest of the reply).

--------------------

a reply to: WeRpeons The U.S. is now causing millions of young people to go into enormous debt just to acquire a college education.

To first reply quote(not showing on the preview so I will add it): "AMERICA IN DECLINE: Young People Are Much Worse Off Than Their Parents Were At That Age" -BusinessInsider
Similarly, debt is effecting the UK: "For the first time in a century, today's middle-class children will be ‘worse off than their parents’ "see here

originally posted by: xuenchen

The U.S. is now causing millions of young people to go into enormous debt just to acquire a college education.

Maybe this is a good reason to stress the importance of understanding mathematics in high school.

Maybe there's a deeper reason why they don't.

Exactly. Especially hearing about the Common Core issues that many are complaining about to the info speculated and released on it.
edit on 17-10-2014 by dreamingawake because: More replies.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

To be fair, your link also says that mathematics is a growing field -- one that's growing twice as fast as the average for other occupations (also from your link, in the little information bubble "The average growth rate for all occupations is 11 percent.)

Employment of mathematicians is projected to grow 23 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. Businesses will need mathematicians to analyze the increasing volume of digital and electronic data.

When I was pursuing my degree BS/MS in Computer Science, my classes began at full capacity with a pretty even balance of males and females. However, once the first higher math course began my fellow students rapidly began jumping ship and switching majors to IT, web design, business, etc. By the end of the deadline to drop a course, I was the sole female in a class with 8 students. From then on, I remained the only female in all math classes. This was 2 years ago.

Also from your link, "In May 2012, the median annual wage for all workers was $34,750."
Mathematicians, however have a median wage of $101,360.

TycoonBarnaby is correct when he says that there are high paying jobs in math but not enough people pursuing the credentials to get those jobs. There may be 21 million college students, but very few are pursuing degrees in math. I've personally experienced this. But since you like sources and numbers:

Fact: American's are getting worse at math and science

"In mathematics, 29 nations and other jurisdictions outperformed the United States by a statistically significant margin, up from 23 three years ago," reports Education Week. "In science, 22 education systems scored above the U.S. average, up from 18 in 2009."

Link

Fact: Even by combining the number of degrees in math and engineering, it's still less than half the number of degrees in Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, or Other Fields.

Of over 1.7 million Bachelor's degrees received, 7.9% of them were in Math.
Of over 750,000 Master's degrees, 3.4% were in Math.
Link

Incidentally, it was WeRpeons who said that there were not enough people with the education and skills for high paying jobs, not TycoonBarnaby. He also at no point said that there were "millions of jobs" in math. You seemed to unfairly attack him and this comment by you -- "21 million college students and 49 million students in elementary. But yeah.. I'm sure none of them are engineers and mathematicians." --- is a bit mean and untrue.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I can think just offhand of six families I know personally who are "living in poverty" quite happily. Apparently, they're quite happy because they do nothing at all to improve their lot in life---things like working when offered a job, taking advantage of the offer of a plot in a community garden, preparing food for themselves ....
These are multi-generational families where retired people are supporting their grown children and grandchildren with their meager Social Security checks. It is sad and it is morally wrong.
Of course the numbers are going to rise. Many of these households are being kept afloat by the infusion of Boomers' pension and Social Security checks. What happens when this non-working generation has to support itself after the Boomers die off? They won't have those pension checks and many of them won't have Social Security either because they've not worked.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Atleast Obama can say that he drastically reduced those figured. Thanks Ebola.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

i say it every time i see a thread discussing a lack of jobs: come to West Texas. You are likely to start work within a day or two of getting here (assuming you pass drug tests, etc) and can make $20/hr starting out. In the service type jobs, you can start at $12/hr. .

ive discussed this in several threads over the last couple days......
mr onequestion seems to be in all of them.

myself and others have given links to job fields...

its not just west texas either..

there are manufacturing jobs all over this country that you can walk right onto with little or no experience...
from there you can keep moving up.....

the problem with this type of work though is people dont want to do it.....they dont want to work the hours or the type of work...
onequestion posted in another thread that he went to a job fair at a company that was known and established and couldnt believe more people dint show...he also said that most people there were over 40...

apparently unemployment is high around there and this company was offering and the turn out sucked...

more proof imo that people dont want those kinds of jobs.

there is work out there...

there are loads of able bodied men and women out there that are perfectly able to do that type of work, they just choose not to.

they would rather work 25 hours a week at some fast food joint and bitch about their situation....

i know everyone does not do that..there are people that really cant find a good paying job in their area. there are people that cant physically do it.
there are millions all across america though that can do the work...they just dont or better yet, wont.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

What are you talking about? The millennial generation is the most educated generation in history. It just so happens that the education isn't translating to jobs. So your stereotype about welfare babies is wrong, but there certainly IS a problem.

ETA: By the way, you mention average GPA's. As a teacher, shouldn't you understand that averages are skewed by outliers? So naturally the slackers are going to bring down the average GPA. Averages are some of the worst metrics to consider when trying to look at a statistic.
edit on 17-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I wonder how many of those were normal middle class people before? All so already rich people can have a longer pissing contest. I am almost disappointed that we arent out lynching people from financial institutions. This crap makes my blood boil.

You think these millions of people will build up our power and wealth as a nation? Well, at least there are more vacation homes and yachts out there.....That is so important.
edit on 10 17 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join