It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body of Missing 'August: Osage County' Actress Believed to Be Found (Report)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Misty Upham went missing Oct. 6
Police said Thursday that they believe a body found in the Seattle suburb of Auburn is that of Misty Upham, a missing actress who has appeared in August: Osage County, Frozen River and Django Unchained, KIRO-TV reported.

An official identification of the body has not been made.

The Native American actress, 32, was reported missing by her family Oct. 6, a day after telling police she was suicidal. Her father, Charles Upham, told the station he doesn't believe his daughter was upset and erratic and had stopped taking medication for anxiety and bipolar disorder

Body of Missing 'August: Osage County' Actress Believed to Be Found (Report)

I live very near where the body was found and I give my deepest condolences to the family and to our native american community and friends on the Muckleshoot reservation. (If it turns out to be the person they think it is, if not then still, condolences to the family of whoever this person may be)

She was also in Django Unchained which I haven't seen yet but would like to.
edit on 10/16/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

Here are many more news links detailing the disappearance of the actress and the discovery of said body www.bing.com...

Ah, here we go, a local news source from KIRO m.kirotv.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Sad story...

Thankfully her body was found, I hope that will help give her family some closure.

Django Unchained is such a good movie!
edit on Oct 19th 2014 by Djarums because: edit to fix broken bb tag

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Boom! First pic posted on ats by me, and she's a beaut! I wonder what was going through her mind? Did she feel guilty for her success, having roots in a poor native community? Was she murdered for her money or some valuable objects she may have had? Like many others around here I am eager to hear about the findings of the investigation. What happened to this gorgeous Native American success story??

ETA I dont know why its in italics, or at least appears that way to me on the device I am using...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

For me, the shame of it mostly was the police ignoring her as a missing person. Her family had to do all the work and once again, we see someone who was endangered, whether by mental illness, or runaway, where the family has to pick up the slack because the police ignore the severity of it. I thought after 24 hours you can report a person missing? Apparently that is a fallacy for TV storylines because the truth seems to be the police will search for who they want to search for, not for who truly needs searching.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Yes that's a very good point. Even though she was a hollywood actress they could not manage the resources to find her and she was not even very far away from home... and she told the police she was suicidal so, what does the law say when someone admits they are a "danger to themself or others"? Not that I'm a complete proponent of this type of thing in all cases but it almost seems like they should have put her in a psych ward for a short while to evaluate her and let her talk out some of her issues with a counselor or a psychiatrist or something. Some good ol electro shock therapy and some powerful mind altering chemicals and let us sleep it off, she'll be as right as dodgers for there after! Maybe.

Maybe since she was an actress they gave her "preferential treatment" and let her go off on her own. Too bad she did not seek help, but fir all we know there was no helping her. The world may never know.
edit on 10/17/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: Anyafaj

Yes that's a very good point. Even though she was a hollywood actress they could not manage the resources to find her and she was not even very far away from home... and she told the police she was suicidal so, what does the law say when someone admits they are a "danger to themself or others"? Not that I'm a complete proponent of this type of thing in all cases but it almost seems like they should have put her in a psych ward for a short while to evaluate her and let her talk out some of her issues with a counselor or a psychiatrist or something. Some good ol electro shock therapy and some powerful mind altering chemicals and let us sleep it off, she'll be as right as dodgers for there after! Maybe.

Maybe since she was an actress they gave her "preferential treatment" and let her go off on her own. Too bad she did not seek help, but fir all we know there was no helping her. The world may never know.

I know her parents are crying racism, in that in that area a lot of Native Americans are often ignored by the police if the go by missing There are a lot of issues between the Native American tribe there and the police in that area. Some areas, this is not an uncommon occurrence sadly. I have heard this often in other areas where there is a reservation police, vs. regular police. I will try to find the article.

'We are disappointed that the police are not doing more to help find Misty,' she said. 'Right now the only people looking for her are myself, my husband and son and daughter.

Moth er cries racism

“We are disappointed that the police are not doing more to help find Misty. Right now the only people looking for her are myself, my husband and son and daughter. I think if Misty was different-looking they would be doing a lot more to help find her,” Misty’s mom Mona tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY, adding that Misty’s Native American heritage may be part of the reason for the Auburn Police Department’s alleged inaction. The ordeal even sent Misty’s father, Charles Upham, to the emergency room on Oct. 13 for fear of a possible stroke.

Misty's parents begged police to find their daughter

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Over 1100 Native women in Canada were murdered or gone missing over the last 30 years. Canada's notorious serial killer Bobert Picton's half of the murders that he was charged with were Aboriginal.

Today, the Prime Minister of Canada chooses to ignore the problem because he feels it is not worthy of an inquiry. If those murders were happening to white women, he have an investigation so fast it would make your head spin.

If Julia Roberts, the star of the movie "August: Osage County" went missing they would called out the National Guard to find her.

My condolences to the family of Misty Upham. R.I.P.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is terrible for the police to be so blatantly prejudiced especially in this day and age! Don't they know their actions (or in this case, non actions) are making the situation exponentially worse in a community that already does not trust the police? Or they just don't care? I guess the captain of the precinct would be most responsible since he is the one who assigns the cases so he could have ordered a search party. There could have been cops lower on the ladder who wanted to do more but couldn't. At least i hope.

It really irritates me when the actions of a few white people make the rest of us look bad and it makes it more difficult for us to form friendships with non white people. I have good friendships with several tribal members here and I don't want any racial bs dividing our community even further. American Natives have every reason not to trust white people but if you show that you are a good person who loves all humans you can gain their trust and form very rewarding relationships. And when it comes down to it, we need each other. We have helped each other more times than i can count.

I love all erhnicities and i love all the different cultures and learning about their history and i love all the different accents and i love hearing all their stories and behaviors and mannerisms and traditions. We can learn so much from eachother. Our human family is beautiful and disastrous at the same time. But people who reject other cultures and ethnicities just based on differences are definitely missing out. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we can solve any problem just by working together.

I will be posting another thread on this subject. I was just going to post it here, but this thread is about the discovery of the body. My next thread is about the family's claim that it was Not suicide... Ill come back and link it here when i am finished.

I don't make a lot of threads because its a hassle from my mobile device, (but i am learning how to do things better, slowly but surely) but i would like to thank everyone for the replies, stars and flags. It was very nice of you all to show your support.
I give two thumbs up!

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RossWellOldMexico
Over 1100 Native women in Canada were murdered or gone missing over the last 30 years. Canada's notorious serial killer Bobert Picton's half of the murders that he was charged with were Aboriginal.

Today, the Prime Minister of Canada chooses to ignore the problem because he feels it is not worthy of an inquiry. If those murders were happening to white women, he have an investigation so fast it would make your head spin.

If Julia Roberts, the star of the movie "August: Osage County" went missing they would called out the National Guard to find her.

My condolences to the family of Misty Upham. R.I.P.

You're right though. For example. Two missing women. Misty Upham. Heather Graham. Who did you hear more about and who was in the news more? Sad, but so very true. My opinion? BOTH needed to be in the spotlight to be found. Misty was ignored. Heather was the focus. Report out today Heather's body may have been found in an abandoned home near her mother's. Both women were found, but again, who got more attention in the media. Misty's crime? She wasn't blonde haired and blue eyed enough to be front page material for the press.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
This is terrible for the police to be so blatantly prejudiced especially in this day and age! Don't they know their actions (or in this case, non actions) are making the situation exponentially worse in a community that already does not trust the police? Or they just don't care? I guess the captain of the precinct would be most responsible since he is the one who assigns the cases so he could have ordered a search party. There could have been cops lower on the ladder who wanted to do more but couldn't. At least i hope.

It really irritates me when the actions of a few white people make the rest of us look bad and it makes it more difficult for us to form friendships with non white people. I have good friendships with several tribal members here and I don't want any racial bs dividing our community even further. American Natives have every reason not to trust white people but if you show that you are a good person who loves all humans you can gain their trust and form very rewarding relationships. And when it comes down to it, we need each other. We have helped each other more times than i can count.

I love all erhnicities and i love all the different cultures and learning about their history and i love all the different accents and i love hearing all their stories and behaviors and mannerisms and traditions. We can learn so much from eachother. Our human family is beautiful and disastrous at the same time. But people who reject other cultures and ethnicities just based on differences are definitely missing out. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we can solve any problem just by working together.

I will be posting another thread on this subject. I was just going to post it here, but this thread is about the discovery of the body. My next thread is about the family's claim that it was Not suicide... Ill come back and link it here when i am finished.

I don't make a lot of threads because its a hassle from my mobile device, (but i am learning how to do things better, slowly but surely) but i would like to thank everyone for the replies, stars and flags. It was very nice of you all to show your support.
I give two thumbs up!

I am like you. I support all cultures because it makes us who and what we are. How we came to be. I think we should honor our cultures and other cultures as well. Sadly, not others agree. It breaks my heart when I read about the genocide this country committed against the Native American's in the early days. My ancestors weren't hear then. We were still in Ireland, England, and Hungary. In fact, AnyaFaj means Hurt Mother in Hungarian. I was in the middle of a divorce when I thought of it and I have a chronic pain condition so it seemed apropos at the time. (Anya=mother, Faj=hurt). I'm love to learn how to speak Hungarian but for now I am content with learning new dishes.

As a mother, a sister, an aunt, it broke my heart to read about Misty. Especially when I heard about her mental illness. I have family that have bipolar, my birth mother is schizophrenic, and I have PTSD with major depression and anxiety issues from an attack, so I understand mental illness and how troubling it can be, as a family member, and as a sufferer. I'm also raising a daughter who's missing part of her brain, has autism, and mental health issues due to missing part of her brain. I cannot tell you how many times she was turned away for help over and over and over when we begged for it, even when she was beating me senseless yet didn't understand her actions. But one night has a nightmare in an ER, hits a nurse and BOOM 30 day psych hold! The system is seriously messed up when it comes to mental health help for people who truly need it. It really is VERY hard for parents to get their adult children help, and in some states, 14 is considered adult. Thanks Government cutbacks! So believe me when I say I truly sympathize with Misty's parents. Maybe more since I worry about getting that call with my daughter.

top topics

join