It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an argument against giving beggars money

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

No, English is not my first language.

Consideration for the well being of Mankind is also lacking from your vocabulary.
edit on 16-10-2014 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Hollywood has its negative points, but this time it apples.

...because hollywood IS reality through and through, and it supports the premise?...therefore, it applies?

TRUE-man show was really about breaking conditioning (in a filmic device) - in an intellectual form of leap frog...the very film being used as an example to illustrate the OP statement would seem to be twisting the point beyond recognition...

That's some 'origami' right there...

Å99

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

want to make up my own mind about whether I think it is morally right or wrong for me to give them money.

Do what you want.

But, don't come at ATS like your the smartest guy in the room.

You're not even close.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
for a start 4% of the population will not work, now the cause of this problem could be keeping the education system of such a poor quality and also the mind suppressants like the air we breathe and fluoride.

The thing that you should really get your head around is not giving to charities have a look at how much money the directors pay themselves,
At least 95% of the Band Aid money went to rich people.
The churches are completely corrupt and if that money went to where it was supposed to go we wouldn't have any problems
If the government legislated and controlled drugs like they do tobacco and alcohol that would reduce crime and the suffering it causes by a huge amount more than any one can imagine in fact you would have to look at the government funding crime and terrorism by there restriction of drugs.

There's another thing you don't realise either and that 14% of all the jobs on our planet are not needed this contributes to emotional unstability by feeling worthless in some cases and mental breakdown leading to some of these people ending up on the streets begging.

I live without money in Sydney due to an ongoing battle with the scum that run this world and I've noticed you have to be completely desperate to beg no morals or an addiction if these people want to beg then they are pretty much at the bottom with very little hope due to the charities and governments that say they look after people and just take peoples money.
edit on 16-10-2014 by jinni73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Quit being a cheapskate and give the poor bum a dollar.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Yep.. thump thump indeed. I am a VERY proud Bible Thumper. Thank you for the compliment!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Way back when I was a bit less jaded I was a nicer person.

I saw a guy on a corner with a sign that said, "Hungry, Need money for food."

I was going to lunch so I pulled into a BK and ordered two meals.

I got the food, crossed 4 lanes of traffic and pulled up next to the guy.

I held out the bag and cup.
He said, "I don't want that _ _ _ _ ! I want some _ _ _ _ _ _ _ money!"

I still help people out now and then but I really don't have as much sympathy as I used to have.
I'd rather donate money to an animal shelter.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints

I still help people out now and then but I really don't have as much sympathy as I used to have.

There's your scammer, right there.
Begging doesn't come from a position of entitlement or choice...a 'beggar' who refuses, is not really 'begging'. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this guy would have refused that you take him out and buy him a meal - even tho his sign said he was hungry...
...anyone who is truly 'down & out' will refuse nothing...if they do, they are fishing for a different reason...

Å99

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

I get that. Most of what I've donated has gone to helping animals.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

No, English is not my first language.

Consideration for the well being of Mankind is also lacking from your vocabulary.
You are simply being judgmental and presumptuous. You know nothing about me. I was unemployed for a long time and on welfare. I have quite big debt from having to be bailed out when I was in trouble. I have had problem with institutions. I was one day away from being evicted from my apartment. I'm 30 and I have only had menial jobs. As opposed to you trolls in this thread, I actually care about these people as opposed to only caring about my own "empathic intuition". To quote the book I posted a link to, which seems to be a great book:

As a character in Bernard Shaw’s Saint Joan replies when told of the theory of Pythagoras that the earth is round and revolves around the sun: “What an utter fool! Couldn’t he use his eyes?”

edit on 111031Fri, 17 Oct 2014 00:11:14 -0500201414pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-17T00:11:14-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Actually, this is a highly interactive school. And gravity or alligning to bad things, is from the inequality and suffering and slavery and wars, everything is a ritual sacrifice. It also dulls down soul memories and keeps people like zombies, in their boxes.

Anything bad occurring, give. Mitigate disasters, comets, diseases and all that things going on here, by giving, caring, sharing, empowering others. Not all we give is money. Some don't have excess money to give.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99

originally posted by: badgerprints

There's your scammer, right there.
Begging doesn't come from a position of entitlement or choice...a 'beggar' who refuses, is not really 'begging'. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this guy would have refused that you take him out and buy him a meal - even tho his sign said he was hungry...
...anyone who is truly 'down & out' will refuse nothing...if they do, they are fishing for a different reason..Å99

Same thing . . .
I would be the first to help with food, clothes, a lift, or a helping hand;
Rarely would I trust in giving out money anymore, based on the same reactions.
When leaving a grocery store a skanky wretched woman asked me for money,
I truly didn't have any left, but held out a portion of the groceries (milk, bread, fruit etc.)
feeling bad for her. Well she just about threw the bag at me and
whipped back loudly, " If I wanted groceries I would have got
some myself, I asked for money !"
(obviously to pay for drugs)

edit on 17/10/14 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

sometime people fall on hard times through no fault of their own....yes i give money to those that beg (when i have some anyways)..last year i had 20 bucks left to my name ,i was in sydney in the city waiting for my GF to get out of the hospital there was a guy just sitting there with a sign he was down and out i went into the store he was outside of and changed the 20 into two tens and passes him one as i left....the difference there is i had food back at my girls house and a place to stay he had neither...really i should have given him the 20... ...money is a curse on society its like gold fever...actually it is gold fever but for arguments sake we will call money fever......

if i knew of another way society could function without the need for money i would be onboard

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I cant sleep right now and really want to

Oh this is about giving away your money
Go ahead it is about as useful as self pleasure (because the m word is not a good word.. Its bad)

Rules
never loan money to friends
Business is different then friendship
only give because you want to not because its your duty (makes it a bill not charity)
look after your needs first, because no one else will

When helping the less fortunate, stick to raw supplies not cash

_
I was never taught to share and only passed kindergarten because The teacher liked me but I still do not play well with others
_

Keep in mind the rules

Do not say
you do not give

The idea is to make sure your S#$% is in order... so you can run off and blow your money
I have never had a homeless person I offered food to say no

I have had friends who think I am a cash cow

So it comes down to help when you can at your discretion (read Samuel Clemens old man young man story)

But do not feel any moral qualms about getting a pedicure after you tell someone you do not have the money...

Edit

Dont ask me why they work.. As odd as it is the rules enable you to give more and help out the good people...

Its counter intuitive
edit on Fri, 17 Oct 2014 03:10:58 -050010p2014-10-17T03:10:58-05:0020141031Fri, 17 Oct 2014 03:10:58 -05002014Friday by ripcontrol because: ps epilogue

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Since the largest banks in the world are also the biggest beggars and leeches the world has ever seen - and they enjoy tax exemptions and can write their own checks, on the public dime, whenever they screw up - as they are "too big to fail". I say let's start with them. Let's cut THEM off.

Then, we can discuss whether or not the guy in rags is worth giving a buck or two or not.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I once chided my mother for giving money to a "beggar". I told her this was probably a lazy person who didnt want to work. She said to me " then it will be their shame, but not mine for ignoring someone in need". I never forgot that.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

I once chided my mother for giving money to a "beggar". I told her this was probably a lazy person who didnt want to work. She said to me " then it will be their shame, but not mine for ignoring someone in need". I never forgot that.

Your mother is a wise woman.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I don't care. I give to charities and homeless because I am human and it uplifts me. It is worth a dollar.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

By enabling harmful drug use ?
What if that 'beggar' died from an overdose because
he bought the drugs with the 'donation'.
My good conscious tells me not to enable harm, but rather provide
essentials (food, blankets, coat, counseling)
How can you live knowing that you possibly enabled ill, harm or
an illegal drug deal ? *shudder*

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ToneDeaf

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

By enabling harmful drug use ?
What if that 'beggar' died from an overdose because
he bought the drugs with the 'donation'.
My good conscious tells me not to enable harm, but rather provide
essentials (food, blankets, coat, counseling)
How can you live knowing that you possibly enabled ill, harm or
an illegal drug deal ? *shudder*

Is not not something of a generalisation to assume that homeless people or beggars are drug addicts?

Although some obviously are many are not and there is a miryad of reasons for needing to beg.

If you worry about how your money is going to be spent I would be far more worried about paying your taxes and buying products from multinational corperations.
edit on 1020141037pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-17T06:32:37-05:0032f32 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join