It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale New Haven Hospital evaluating patient with Ebola-like symptoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This time it's in my own backyard. I live in New Haven County and less than twenty minutes from the hospital. Ugh...

Link

Yale-New Haven Hospital admitted a patient late Wednesday night for evaluation of Ebola-like symptoms. We have not confirmed or ruled-out any diagnosis at this point. We are working in cooperation with City, State and Federal health officials. There is no further information available at this time.

The good news is, we have been preparing. At least the hospitals. I work at a nursing home and we have to have a plan in place by the end of October for Ebola. Seems a little late, doesn't it?

All 29 hospitals in the state have submitted a detailed Ebola preparedness checklist, developed by the CDC, to the state. The checklist asks hospitals whether they've accomplished such tasks as training all employees on how to identify signs and symptoms of Ebola and how to avoid infection. Also, on Tuesday, more than 120 health care workers attended a statewide briefing presented by the Connecticut Hospital Association on Ebola and Enterovirus D68, the respiratory illness that has sickened children throughout the country.

Hospital association spokeswoman Michele Sharp said the state's hospitals are ready to handle an Ebola case, should one arrive in Connecticut.

For flu season, we are required to take the shot or wear a mask from the end of November to the end of April. It seemed like overkill to me but, now I know why. Our infection control nurse has been going nuts trying to prepare us for "something". She has never muttered the word Ebola, but it's obvious to me this is no ordinary flu season precaution.

edit on 16-10-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Our infection control nurses have been ra(m)ping up our protection and disguising it as preparation for the flu.

That was kind of telling. Good for the nurses, sorry they have to "disguise" common sense.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think over the next few months there will be so much over-reaction that it'll become a joke.

"Nurse, I have flu-like symptoms..." will be enough for a full scale evacuation. It does not help that we are in a time of year when people are getting colds and flu!

Regards

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Here is a link to the story:

FOX-CT

Sources say the patient is one of the two Yale researchers that just returned from Liberia earlier this week. The students originally volunteers to be quarantined for 21 days but after careful consideration, the university said it was unnecessary.

Reason to be concerned? I say yes.
Again we have people in charge saying... 'Oh, no problem.'
edit on bu312014-10-16T08:43:39-05:0008America/ChicagoThu, 16 Oct 2014 08:43:39 -05008u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I think over the next few months there will be so much over-reaction that it'll become a joke.

"Nurse, I have flu-like symptoms..." will be enough for a full scale evacuation. It does not help that we are in a time of year when people are getting colds and flu!

Regards

This person just returned from Liberia, so there may be plenty of reason for concern.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Regards

Compared to the under-reaction of the CDC and carelessness of certain individuals, I wouldn't mind a little over-reaction.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Regards

It already has become a joke. It was a while ago. Just ask that guy in Philadelphia how funny people think it is to say, "I think I have Ebola".

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Sources say the patient is one of the two Yale researchers that just returned from Liberia earlier this week.

The students originally volunteered to be quarantined for 21 days but after careful consideration, the university said it was unnecessary.

This is getting more ridiculous.

Unnecessary? He freaking volunteered and they still didn't think it was necessary. I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The video is talking about Duncan possibly being charged with a crime when he returns to Africa? Did I miss something? Isn't he long since deceased?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Definately got to be careful of those coming from 'Liberia'. It's where most have contracted the virus and where most have died from it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

The video is talking about Duncan possibly being charged with a crime when he returns to Africa? Did I miss something? Isn't he long since deceased?

The video was published on October 3rd and was added to the OP because of it's relevance to the situation. Duncan died on Oct. 8th. What a choice, get killed by Ebola or survive and face possible charges. Some prisons in Africa are worst than death.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I am with you brother I live in Fairfield County. A friend of mine a first responder at Yale New Haven called to tell at 8:30 am the hospital was in total lockdown. Will just have to wait and see how this is going to play out.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There should be news about this one soon.

They expect test results by 4 PM EST:

www.courant.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Because ebola is not widespread right now, is been only isolated cases so far, when people gets into the ER showing signs of sickness the big questions are, if the person has been in an ebola ridded country or oversea and if the person has come into contact with somebody that has been oversea, those are the key questions, to rule an infection with ebola.

Now, if ebola starts to spread widely all over states, that is when things are going to get crazy as people could be infected and no knowing how they got it.

People with just the simple flu could find themselves under observation and even isolated until they test negative for ebola.

This flu season is going to be crazy.

Bit pharma is going to get a big boots on their seasonal flu vaccine, they will probably run out of it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
UPDATE:

NEW HAVEN Conn. (Reuters) - A Connecticut hospital is testing a Yale University student with Ebola-like symptoms who traveled to Liberia last month and a preliminary diagnosis could come in as little as two hours, Governor Dannel Malloy said on Thursday.

We should know in about an hour from this post if it's Ebola.

Mayor Harp told a press conference that it was doubtful the patient has Ebola, noting that flu season has started.

This is NOT the attitude to have. We need to develop faster, more efficient testing and treat all symptoms of the flu like possible cases of Ebola. At least for now. The media needs to relax and stop the hype. There is a difference between making informed decisions and panicking.

A final determination from the CDC could come by 11 a.m. on Friday, Malloy said.

Fox News:

Thomas Balcezak, chief medical officer of Yale-New Haven Hospital, said during the conference that as of Thursday afternoon, the patient was in “good” condition, and was “moved to in-patient service in an area under negative pressure.”

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Alright folks, pack it in. Nothing to see here. Ebola has left the building. Thanks for your support.

Test Results On Yale-New Haven Patient Are Negative For Ebola

NEW HAVEN — Preliminary test results on a patient who recently traveled to Liberia and was admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital Wednesday night have come back negative for Ebola, a source within state government said late Thursday afternoon.

EDIT: I forgot to give credit to butcherguy. While typing my second update, he was able to get the same information out before me. Good job and thank you.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I am no fond of antiviral medications like Tamiflu to treat the flu in the early stages, but right now with the ebola pandemic moving if more people are found infected in other states, Tamiflu doesn't sound like a bad idea, to avoid a visit to the ER in case of flue

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I realize they declared him Ebola-free but note this excerpt from a report by WTNH:

"

The patient showing Ebola symptoms at Yale-New Haven Hospital has tested negative for the virus, News 8 learned this afternoon. The patient is remaining in isolation. He was one of two researchers conducting database research in west African countries, including Liberia, which is battling a major Ebola outbreak. In that country, the disease has claimed the lives of more than 4,500 people, according to the Center for Disease Control. Multiple sources told News 8 that the test came back negative, though they are not certain how the result, which was supposed to take 24 hours, came back so quickly. The chief medical officer at Yale-New Haven Hospital released the following statement: “Due to an over-abundance of caution, before we fully rule it out, we will wait for the CDC official confirmation of the test result. The hospital will continue to monitor the patient in order to ensure the safety of the staff and the community.”

wtnh.com...

I hate it when they keep rushing through the required tests.

Someone needs to tell the CDC what "assume" means.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I forgot to give credit to butcherguy.

Thanks, but not necessary.
If you didn't put the thread up, I may have never known about the story. All credit to you!
And thank goodness the test result was negative!!!!

edit on b000000312014-10-17T07:01:43-05:0007America/ChicagoFri, 17 Oct 2014 07:01:43 -0500700000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join