It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Ebola protocol at a public school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I was wondering if there was anyone who knows what would happen if a student at an elementary school came down with Ebola? What would the school have to do? Really at any school in America. Those kids literally travel from one end of the school to the other.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: concerned190

That's a good question. We might find out if we ever hear how those kids who were close to Duncan are doing.

It seems to me they were allowed to go back to school.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I know in daycares they bleach everything anyway so maybe they will be a step ahead since they are used to germs
edit on 15-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

What is Ebola protocol at a public school?

I imagine it would be the same as in the hospitals; give no training, and when the kids get sick blame it on them for not following sanitary protocols.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't know that there is a 'protocol' in place.

Treat it the same as any other public space I would imagine.

What happens when a person who went to a NFL game or a concert at a major venue tests positive?

What is the 'protocol'?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

There was a virus a few years back, (I'll look it up), and schools closed down and were thoroughly disinfected.

I think it would be the same with ebola.

It will be a sad day when a child gets it. Not only for the child, but for everyone. Children are experts at sharing bodily fluids.

Edit:

Just looked up the virus, it was the norovirus a few years ago.
Also in my search I learned that some schools in the country closed and cleaned for the Enterovirus.

Here's an example of one, in Suffolk. Southampton Elementary School closed after student sickened with enterovirus, superintendent says
edit on 15-10-2014 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

This is a great question, one that I bet many parents are (or will be) asking. A quick search brought up a pretty detailed document on a strategy for dealing with an influenza pandemic with emphasis on the school setting. I imagine it would be a similar protocol for diseases like ebola or enterovirus 68.

I'm glad you asked this question, because hopefully it will get the parents asking questions. If enough parents ask their children's schools this very question, then maybe it will encourage the schools to come up with a plan (if there isn't already one in place).

Here's the document I mentioned: Flu Preparedness in Schools

edit on 15-10-2014 by MojaveBurning because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: collietta

It will be a sad day when a child gets it.

It's going to be more sad for you when an American child contracts the virus?

Is that what you're saying?

I'm certain children have died of it in Africa.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

One thing I know for sure, the school would have to close down for several days until they can be sure the virus could no longer survive on open surfaces. After that, I'm sure parents wouldn't be ready to send their children back to school, worrying their child can still be in danger. It would take a lot for parents to have the confidence to send their children back into their school.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Survival 101.

Teach your kids not to touch their face/head. Go directly to the bathroom and wash hands with cold water and soap-up any of their exposed skin. Do not turn the water off. Rinsing the soap off is not even a good idea. No need to towel off. Leave everything behind and get out of the school. Don't talk to anyone. Call (without touching the face) parents and meet at a pre-designated rendezvous several blocks from the school.

Start homeschooling.

edit on 15102014 by Snarl because: Grammar

ETA: Have them kick off their shoes before they get in the car.

edit on 15102014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Kids in the 50"s had to get under their little desks and "duck and cover" from incoming red nuclear war heads in some future nightmare. Plan on something as totally useless as the aforementioned to be created by some diabolical bureaucratic savant with a snicker. With a crooked snear, I see his weather leather face contort with intense schadenfreuder. Stand back and let the flaming carriage thunder past. Those trapped inside the demonic conveyance, SCREAM in agony all the way to the gates of HELL!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
First things first, if there is a school near by that has a person with Ebola, they should stop all the contact between schools for a while. Sports games should be restricted along with other competitions and programs in which students are moving around. Now, I know that will never happen because people do not want to be inconvenienced, so we are screwed.

Because people won't do what is necessary to reduce contact in this country, Ebola will be spread like wildfire. Rules in schools that force kids that are sick to go to school because they have missed too many days because they were sick from multiple causes will cause a spread of diseases like this. Also the fact that both parents have to work and they send their kids to school even if they are sick causes the spread of diseases.

Face it, our country is in more of a dangerous state than many other countries in the world.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The bigger question is how would they even know? Kids puke all of the time and it's not Ebola. They aren't going to test the kid unless there is a known connection to a case of Ebola or West Africa.

Some kids were vomiting at my child's school today and it created a huge panic among the tweens. I don't blame the silly kids, I blame the CDC and the Dallas Hospital for mismanaging this at every turn. Uncertainty breeds fear.

edit on 10/15/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteinsane
a reply to: collietta

It will be a sad day when a child gets it.

It's going to be more sad for you when an American child contracts the virus?

Is that what you're saying?

I'm certain children have died of it in Africa.

Wow.

Yes, I am aware that children in Africa die of this and other diseases, but that not what the OP was asking and I was addressing the OP

Yes I am American-or western- centric, but here's the thing. African children in affected countries don't live the American lifestyle. I'm not 100% sure, because I've never been to the affected parts of Africa, but I don't think African children get around as much as an American child.

If one child in our country gets it, it's game over.

Most American children don't have a healthy diet (especially this time of year of sweets and junk)
Most American children go to school sick because their parents have to work.
Most American children go to daycare, even when they are slightly ill, because parents have to work.
Most American children attend after school activities because that's our culture.

There is a tremendous amount of potential for a deadly virus to spread via bodily fluids.

edit on 15-10-2014 by collietta because: Repeated text

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Either the people running the program to stop Ebola are super ignorant and not very smart or there is some sort of agenda to allow the disease to get to this country. There could be many reasons they are allowing this disease to spread all over the world. Saying this disease is hard to spread and not a threat to America is a falsity. If that was true, why did they completely disinfect that plane the healthcare worker flew in and take every passengers name and attempt to contact them when she was no where near most of them?
edit on 15-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I was looking for something else entirely, but stumbled upon our school system's "pandemic planning" page. Surprisingly there is a link to Ebola information on it. www.forsyth.k12.ga.us...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's a new link too!
I am in GA as well. I didn't see this on my county's website.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ad1220

Added October 6. Interesting.

Hey, at least they indicated the person should be separated from others, that's more than Texas Presbyterian did.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I thought the date was interesting too. The letter that it links to was issued by the state. Do one of y'all know how to post the letter on here (if that is allowed)?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ad1220
I thought the date was interesting too. The letter that it links to was issued by the state. Do one of y'all know how to post the letter on here (if that is allowed)?

That's the first thing I saw. Posting the letter can be done but I don't know how

top topics

<<   2 >>

join