It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't Thomas Duncan receive Brantly's blood when the others have???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Something is so off with this. So we have the first infected patient in the US, now unfortunately departed this world, who did NOT receive Dr. Brantley's blood when every other KNOWN infected US patient has received his blood and transferred to either Nebraska or ATL. I'm sure some of you will say that it was because he lied about being sick and blah blah blah...Just thinking about it perturbs me...I hate to pull the race card, but this certainly seems like the case.

I wonder if the other nurse (who's black), will get PROPER treatment, like going to Emory and/or getting Brantly's donated blood like the others ...only a short time will tell...
edit on 15-10-2014 by FeistyFemme because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
He was the wrong blood type.
They have used Brantley's plasma 3 times now in transfusions with people that were compatible with his blood type.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So the others just coincidentally had a compatible blood type? Not buying it...
edit on 15-10-2014 by FeistyFemme because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FeistyFemme

Because the blood types didn't match.

Most African Americans have type O. Caucasians are about 30% O and 33% A with the other percent being split among the rest. Asians like Pham are also about 30% A with the rest being an even split.

It has been reported that Brantly has offered his blood to all the sick patients in the US, including Duncan. So far, his blood has matched with Sacra, Pham and Mukpo. It did not match with Duncan, and I'm guessing that Vinson is being moved to Emory because his blood type and hers don't match, either. If I were to get Ebola, I would not expect his blood type to match mine. I'm O.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
They have used Brantley's plasma 3 times now in transfusions with people that were compatible with his blood type.

Yes

Q. Who else has received plasma?

A. Brantly also donated plasma for Ashoka Mukpo, a freelance video journalist being treated in Nebraska, and a fellow doctor who served in Africa, Dr. Rick Sacra, who also was hospitalized in Nebraska and recovered. Brantly said in a recent speech that he also offered his blood to Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian man who was treated for Ebola in Dallas, but that their blood types didn’t match. Duncan died on Wednesday, and Pham, the nurse, had been taking care of him.

Source

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FeistyFemme
.I hate to pull the race card, but this certainly seems like the case..

Nope.

The dude delayed his own treatment by telling lies about being around ebola sickness. Treatment has to start ASAP ... not be delayed ... for it to be any help. Also he wasn't the right blood type to receive the transfusion. The fact is Ebola kills 70% of the people who get it ... black or white or asian or whatever. Nothing racist about it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ahhh....good to know...thanks!

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Duncan knew he was exposed and got on a commercial plane. The second Ebola patient from Duncan also knew she was exposed and she got on a commercial flight.

Based on your logic it can be assumed that black people that come into contact with Ebola are trying to infect others.

Do you see how stupid that sounds?

Duncan did receive PROPER medical care. He lied about his medical history which allowed him to build an excessive viral load. He also did not have the correct blood type to receive a transfusion from Brantly. Google will show you how transfusion services work. Key phrases to look up are - forward/reverse blood grouping and crossmatching.

Why is it so important to inject race into everything? It boggles my mind sometimes.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I wouldn't go so far to say that Black people coming to the US or wherever outside Africa are purposefully trying to infect others. Those who willingly go over there and come back and NOT quarantining themselves for 21 days are the ones trying to infect everyone IE...THAT SNYDERMAN BITCH WHO'S IN MY DAMN STATE!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just a little science lesson. First you can be blood type A,B, AB or O. Then you have to take in the Rh factor which is either (-) or (+). Thus you can be A(-), A(+), B(-), B(+), AB(-), AB(+), O(-), or O(+). O(-) is the universal donor while AB(+) is the universal acceptor. O(-) is the universal donor because it lacks the antigens that your antibodies recognize and thus may see them and the new blood as foreign. AB(+) is the universal acceptor because the AB(+) person's antibodies will recognize all of the antigens as being a normal part of the blood and thus their antibodies will not attack the new blood.

Note: When it comes to being Rh(-) or Rh(+) it is not a yes/no answer. When the Red Cross takes your blood they use a simple yes/no test to determine your Rh blood type. If there is a reaction to your blood, the Red Cross will retest your blood with a much more costly but also much more accurate test. From a retest of my blood it was determined that I was not A(-) but A(slight +). There is at least a ten point scale between true (-) to totally (+). Also, your blood type can change over time. I do not know if this is due to a process of aging or due to environmental factors that affect a person.

Thus, if Mr. Duncan was O(-) it can be very hard to get blood for him. O(-) donors are the most highly prized donors. If you are AB(+) you are the most luck because anybody's blood can be used for a transfusion for you.

Hope this helps explain blood transfusions.

edit on 15-10-2014 by feldercarb because: rewrote sentence hope it is better.

edit on 15-10-2014 by feldercarb because: no edit

edit on 15-10-2014 by feldercarb because: fixed error

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

Thanks for sharing, definitely helped me better understand!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Exactly, I would be the dream patient to get Ebola and survive because I am O-. Theoretically, they could milk me for plasma donations as often as possible to provide antibody serum for anyone who needed it. And honestly, as much as I hate needles, if I were put in that situation, how could I say no?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I still think it's oddly coincidental that ALL of the others were compatible. Does anyone know what blood type Brantly is? It would really be nice if CDC explained the reason Duncan did not, and all others did, receive Brantly's blood. Just to stay the suspicion. (Of course, they are prone to lie, so I guess any statement would be subject to suspicion anyway.)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

Duncan knew he was exposed and got on a commercial plane. The second Ebola patient from Duncan also knew she was exposed and she got on a commercial flight.

Based on your logic it can be assumed that black people that come into contact with Ebola are trying to infect others.

Do you see how stupid that sounds?

That is absolutely the best response I have heard yet to the Ebola is racist nonsense.

I'll remember it next time,

Black people are getting on planes with Ebola, knowing they are infected just to spread the infection to people of other races.

Great extension of truly illogical thinking!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Seems a might unsettling to think if your blood-type falls within a certain range-and they're not addressing that range with the miracle cure?...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

A little more information:

As I said O(-) can be given to anyone.

O(+) can be given to O(+), A(+), B(+) or AB(+)

A(-) can be given to A(-), A(+), AB(-) and AB(+)

A(+) can only go to A(+) and AB(+)

B(-) can be given to B(-), B(+), AB(-) and AB(+)

B(+) can only be given to B(+) and AB(+)

AB(-) can only be given to AB(-) and AB(+)

While AB(+) only goes to AB(+)

If Brantly is O(+) then approximately 50% of the blood types could receive his blood.

If Brantly is either A(-) or B(-) then approximately 40% of the blood types can receive his blood.

Just to be more clear.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You pulled the race card deliberately. This information has been available in the media for almost two weeks.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I hear the term type A for him. Didn't mention + or -.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

He was the wrong blood type which is not compatible...oh wait he was black...never mind it is totally racist now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join