It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK decision to recognize Palestine angers Israel

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

‘Israel has expressed anger at the British parliament’s vote in favor of recognizing the state of Palestine.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that the vote in favor of recognizing Palestine as a state risks undermining efforts for what it called “real peace with Palestinians.”

Meanwhile, Britain’s Ambassador to Israel, Matthew Gould, said public sentiment in the UK and around the world has shifted against Israel following its recent 50-day onslaught on the Gaza Strip.’

Israel Throws Dummy Out Of Pram

Poor Israel. Always blubbing about Palestine and how the world cares for it. Well they shouldn't have illegally invaded it and murdered it's people should they?

Good on the Parliament finally agreeing about something correct for a change! Although I did see other news that the UK Government is not giving the Palestinians any aid money. But of course they are still supplying Israel!

Of course the world has shifted against Israel. The people are seeing Israel for what it really is. A Rogue Terrorist Fascist Zionist State!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Tedgoat

Last night I watched a documentary about the jewish settlers and the palestinians on whose land those settlers had just occupied and built upon.

The Palestinian who had his land simply stolen and the arrogant laughing jewess who told us how she loved living where she did as it was the nicest part of israel to live in. Another jewish lady asked the camera (and those behind it) where they thought she should live - and sat there mocking.

Israeli's seem to think that the arrogant and how well we are doing attitude is acceptable around the world after their ogvernment has lobbed bombs into civilian areas killing many women and children.

I don't make it a policy of supporting Muslims or Islam, but the Palestinians afre a people who have lived in that area and stayed in that area, not left if and then decided to return and make false claims to someone else's land. And that is the moral of it - This muslim cause I do support and would think its time, if the jewesh culture has in any way intelligence in more abunbdance over selfishness, that the jews thought of a way to settle the two state situation. One more war against a defenceless set of women and children, as many of their men are locked up, and I think Israel will find itself with its goods totally boycotted and friends only in low places.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
And they should just be happy with the 3 billion dollars america is giving them every year to have an unfair advantage over a population being pushed into a corner and bombed out of existence.
UK did the right thing.
There has been this ongoing process of dehumanizing Palestinians, stripping them of their identity, it's time they start getting something back.
it's ok Israel, i am sure that the 3 billion a year and the anti missile shield that was built for you will still help you to obtain “real peace with Palestinians.”

on a side note, maybe not bombing schools in Gaza might help obtain this peace that is so wanted, but that's just me talking crazy

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Tedgoat
As I tried to explain in another thread, a motion in Pariament does not decide who the UK recognises.
It is a symbolic gesture, with no practical effect.
When the UK government decides to recognise the Palestinian state, it will be agreed in Cabinet and announced by the Foreign Secretary. The House of Commons does not make effective decisions of this kind.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

And the swedes who did the same on Yom Kippur day. Prophetic coincidence ?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke
No idea.
My only concern in this instance is to explain to the younger enthusiasts how the UK government system actually works.

edit on 15-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I get the idea, we just happened to have a new government here as well in Belgium ... Probably a similar move anytime soon from Brussels. First Belgium, then most probably the rest of EU.
The problem for Israel is that the recognition of Palestine now extends within NATO countries.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
My only point here, I want to re-iterate, is that the UK has not recognised the Palestinian state.
A motion in the House of Commons does not achieve that effect, because they don't have the actual power to make the decision.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
My only point here, I want to re-iterate, is that the UK has not recognised the Palestinian state.
A motion in the House of Commons does not achieve that effect, because they don't have the actual power to make the decision.

If a Labour government is elected in May 2015, it will be ratified as government policy.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Fine, I'm making no argument for or against recognition.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Hywel Williams (Arfon) (PC) in the debate of the House of commons.

I will just say that throughout my adult life there has been war between Israel and its neighbours. We have seen constant invasion, the expropriation of territory by the supporters of war in Israel and, to be clear, repetitive retaliation and a determined cry from the war party, “Not now, not just yet, not until they have stopped it.” That “it” could be bus bombings, hijackings or rockets, but whatever it is at the time we have seen constant blocking and constant concentration on the latest outrage.

Our Government can decide to recognise Palestine. We make our own policy and we are subject to no outside veto. We can recognise Palestine, we can judge that the time is right, and we have a responsibility to seize the opportunity and to wield our influence as a permanent member of the Security Council, as a member of the Quartet, and as the imperial power historically responsible for the mandate.

People in Palestine who long for progress and peace, and many Israelis, will take encouragement from a positive vote here tonight. For we can vote for politics, for discussions between equals and for an end to war, or we can stall, find excuses and point to the latest outrage. That will help and encourage nobody, other than those who choose the gun, the rocket, the air strikes and the blockade.

source
edit on 15/10/2014 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: voyger2
In connection with the point I've been raising, the important phrase in that speech is "Our government can decide to recognise..."
He is telling the government what it ought to do.
He makes no claim that the House of Commons can decide for the U.K. by their own vote.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Column 125 - of the House of commons:

Recognition of the state of Palestine would mean a more regulated relationship between the international community and Israel and Palestine. At the moment, we are not seen as being even-handed. Whatever people in this House might believe, the reality is that we are the ones who are supplying the components for the weaponry being used against the Palestinians. I asked a series of parliamentary questions this summer and did not get any answers out of Ministers, but on 2 August The Independent detailed the weaponry being used against civilians in Palestine that had been produced from components made by the UK—in particular, that being used by drones and tanks against civilian populations. I say to the House that we need to send a clear message tonight that we are even-handed, that we believe in justice and that we recognise the Palestinian state./exnews]
source

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Grahame M. Morris the hon responsible for securing the debate at the House of Commons:

I want to impress on the Minister, in view of everything that has been said—he has sat patiently and he is a decent man—the need to reflect on the debate. The will of Parliament has spoken tonight. It is the right thing to do to recognise Palestine and I hope that he will go away and implement the motion.
Amendment agreed to.

The House divided:
Ayes 274 (96%), Noes 12(4%).
I think the above should be clear to Minister apply the decision. I hope, for the sake of Justice!
source

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: voyger2
The House divided:
Ayes 274 (96%), Noes 12(4%).
I think the above should be clear to Minister apply the decision. I hope, for the sake of Justice!

In practice, though, he won't, at least not in response to this motion. The decision will be made, if at all, when Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary have decided it is a good idea.
As for the size of the majority, this was mainly because "ministers" were instructed to stand aside from the vote altogether. (I was going to say "we were informed in the OP", but that was in a different thread)
The "ministerial vote" in the House of Commons (those M.P.'s who have government jobs of one kind or another) is actually quite substantial. That is part of the way that modern British governments manage to control Parliament.
As I observed elsewhere, if they had been allowed to vote their opinions, the margin would probably have been smaller.

edit on 15-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Katy Clark (North Ayrshire and Arran) (Lab), at House of Commons:

Those who say that this is just a gesture and that it does not matter what the UK Parliament says are simply mistaken (..) we can now send an incredibly powerful message from this House tonight.

This is the right thing to do morally, but it is also the right thing to do politically. It is important in relation to all our other foreign policy in the region that we should be seen to be even-handed and fair, and that we should no longer be accused of having double standards or of failing to stand up for the Palestinians. We have to give our support to those Palestinians who believe in a political route to self-determination based on non-violent action and international pressure. All too often, those people feel that they have not been given that support by the United States and the United Kingdom.

My constituents gave me a clear message this summer that they did not believe that the Israeli response was proportionate to whatever was happening in Palestine. Between 8 July and 27 August, there were 2,104 Palestinian deaths, including those of 495 children. In that period, there were 72 Israeli deaths, seven of which were civilians. The UK urged Israel to avoid civilian deaths, but made no condemnation of Israeli actions.

source

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
More reports on this:

Forbidden Liberty: British MP’s Vote ‘Yes’ to Palestine, Israel Now Fears Public Opinion

‘There was never any ‘roadmap to peace’ as ringleaders in Washington would have you believe. That’s why nothing has happened in 30 years since “peace negotiations” started. Israel made sure it went no where by insisting that Palestinian statehood, or any other form of liberation from occupation or apartheid would come about only as from negotiations with the Israel. Meanwhile, Israel stayed busy building its Berlin walls and increasing its manifest destiny condo communities to gerrymander its own conveniently undeclared borders.

The formula is simple: Israel gets bigger, while Palestine gets smaller. While they’re add it, they might as well demolish some 30,000 Palestinian homes and kill a few thousand women and children. Not too difficult to see when you take off those cheap AIPAC-issued 3-D glasses.’

Israel Get's Bigger - Palestine Get's Smaller

Israel is not going to stand for public opinion against their war crimes and atrocities inflicted on the Palestinian people. They will probably try some underhand tactics to stop this going any further. Their corrupt and fascist elements within the British Government will 'Fix' this in favour for them.

The Zionists have their greedy and Terrorist claws everywhere!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Israeli settlements “wicked cocktail” of occupation and illegality says MP

“Occupation, annexation, illegality, negligence, complicity: this is a wicked cocktail which brings shame to the government of Israel,” former Tory minister Sir Alan Duncan said on Tuesday. “It would appear that on the West Bank of the Jordan the rule of international law has been shelved.”

Settlement endorsement, meaning the denial that they are illegal and the support for their consequences, is a form of extremism which we should not tolerate(..)

Israeli settlements are the worst, most destructive, aspect of the military occupation, an occupation which has become the longest in modern international relations (..)

He emphasized that every British government since 1967 has declared that the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza were never lawfully part of the State of Israel. However, there are now over half a million settlers living in around 120 settlements and 100 unauthorized outposts in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

This illegal construction and habitation is theft, it is annexation, it is a land grab,(..)”

Rightful Palestinian citizens are reduced to having nothing while illegal Israeli colonizers get everything: Water, electricity, access, protection; illegal settlers get the lot, the Palestinians next to nothing.”

He also argued that the Israeli government actively encourages illegal settlements, by authorizing, implementing and protecting the “illegal expansion of the borders of Israel.”

“In addition to being illegal, settlement activity is very often violent, nasty, and brutal. Not all, but many settlers are heavily armed and aggressive.”

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: voyger2

Its about time some stood up to these Zionist destructionists besides Hamas and Fatah. The fear of being labeled an "Anti-semite" or a "Terrorist"

Leat we forget the founding fathers who were labeled terrorist and dissidents by the crown who still runthings here at home.

Admiralty Law any one ?

new topics

top topics

join