It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Facts about Being Homeless in USA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Even better we could work towards a system where everyone has every basic need competent covered and work is obsolete. The technology exists now but the willpower does not.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
"They" make it illegal to be 'out of doors' because the Prison Industry is a $3B/yr. industry and ALL those Urban males 'they' locked up during the "Crack War" and given 25 yr. sentences are getting released/paroled. 'They' need folks to stitch the shirts, etc..

Did it mention how many had their houses foreclosed illegally by the likes of Bank of America™ etc.? Here in Fl. after the BofA™ settlement the State of Fl. received $330M while those who got their houses seized illegally received an avg. of $1400.00

I'd get 20 x $5.00 and go to a wooded area and distribute the $$ but have given that up. I finished up and was driving back home when I saw One of the folks I had given some $$$ to 15 minutes earlier, walking across the roadway (jaywalking) talking on a cell phone, drinking a beer while the garbage/napkin from the burrito flew away. So now "My Charity" comes as "positive thoughts". I did the donation route to find out that only .12¢ for every $1.00 went to the cause. The other .88¢ went to annoying phone calls or someone's pocket. Then after that, I physically handed the $$ over and that too got sullied, so now it is "positive thoughts"

There are unoccupied houses ALL over that just sit, many that were illegally seized during the aforementioned, these 'could' be used but that makes too much 'sense' and not enough ' ¢ ' (cents)..

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Sabiduria

its a sick world...not only do we kill nature we kill ourselves....this system of greed is clearly not working for the masses....a new system of life is needed...( not a system of rule).....there are so many of us on this little planet now we need to learn how to work together for a common goal....i am not holding my breath though as those in power seem hell bent on retaining it and keeping their slaves

It is time for the bird living in their fake gilded cage to set down off of the bogus perch, to step outside and embrace their freedom. Let the skies fillW with freed birds flying high and singing joyously.

What an amazing sight that would be to behold.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The problem lies in getting everyone to work together. For so long tptb have kept people divided into groups and hating other groups that are different from them for the express purpose of making sure no one wants to unite together to make things better. It's been a tactic that has been used since....most likely a bit after they started having one or more people make the head decisions for the greater good.

How do you get homophobes to ally with LGBTQ+ or Christians allied with Muslims? Being divided into small groups has become almost human nature that I just don't see how we can all unite for a common goal? There is too much hate, ignorance and fear.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

Some facts that the site you linked failed to mention -- DISCLAIMER: This isn't to say there is not a problem, but just pointing out the negative, while not addressing the positive ends up getting the conversation nowhere in my opinion.

According to HUD in their report (the report cited in the link)

The number of homeless individuals declined
by nearly 2 percent (or 6,534) since 2012, and
by 8 percent (or 35,532) since 2007.

That is good. Could be better but I would like to know their methodology on this. Does this account for private citizen's and/or charities that also engage in anti-homelessness outreach?

Overall, looking at the report, across the board the Federal Government has made inroads (while putting up road-blocks or fighting road-blocks put in place by cities; such as your link later in your post OP) to decreasing the number of people who are homeless. That all said, you can lead a horse to the water -- you know the rest.

There is also some twisting of the facts when it relates to the 6th Fact. According to the linked piece (goes to a study within), the paper states that "...homelessness has not been reduced [since 2010]...", yet HUD's report clearly indicates a reduction of homelessness in their 2013 report to Congress. (ETA: If only 600,000 are homeless, why does HUD need funding for 7+ million homes? That wasn't quite explained except through stretching of the facts in my opinion).

In 2010, there were a total estimate of 649,917 persons that were homeless. In 2013, that estimate was at 610,042. While not huge inroads to the problem (or even addressing the issues that are leading to homelessness), it clearly shows a decline. Why does National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty and the Human Rights Network say otherwise? (I ask, because this study doesn't offer a foot-note to where they are deriving that statement from.

That same study states "Housing affordability remains at crisis levels. In no U.S. jurisdiction can a person working full time at the federal minimum wage afford a one-bedroom apartment."

They might be playing word games here. "U.S. jurisdiction" is technically only territories and District of Columbia. All others are held by the States, counties, cities and the People respectively. I digress though, and can examine just how false this notion is as presented in a vague manner as such.

Federal minimum wage (meaning, you are working a Federal job that is below a State's minimum wage (and I believe there are very few), is 7.25/hour. "Full time" work (not defined by the paper) is generally defined by the employer, but let us assume 30-40 hours/week. That gives us a weekly gross income of 217.50 - 290. Monthly gross income amounts to 870 - 1160.

The claim again is that "...In no U.S. jurisdiction can a person working full time at the federal minimum wage afford a one-bedroom apartment." According to the average median rental rates of a one-bedroom (depending on locality) can be as low as 500/month.

I know that doesn't leave a lot of expendable income in the end, but the possibility is there and this study has taken the issue to the extreme to highlight their stance and view on the situation.

There is a lot more to discuss than just throwing numbers at it. The face that the Government burdens citizens heavily with regulations (along with those wishing to rent out, price floors, Section Eight Housing, etc, etc) is a problem that is multiplied by the Government that is trying to throw more money at it without attempting to tackle the root cause -- and that is from my point of view, is Government intervention; albeit, with good intentions.

Are you meaning the first link or the second one?

Sorry but I didn't think it was worth mentioning that there is a 2% decline in homeless because it really is nothing compares to the big picture. There is 0 reason for there to be people who are homeless, just selfish greedy rich people who don't want to see a change. Which really is stupid when you think about it because then there wouldn't be as many "strains" on society.

In Finland, if you lose your job, they help you find a new one. Sure there are those services in Canada but they aren't as great as the ones offered in Finland (I should know, I'm having one heck of a hard time with that service in Canada)
Enter Working Life- TE Offices at the service of job seekers

There is also some twisting of the facts when it relates to the 6th Fact. According to the linked piece (goes to a study within), the paper states that "...homelessness has not been reduced [since 2010]...", yet HUD's report clearly indicates a reduction of homelessness in their 2013 report to Congress. (ETA: If only 600,000 are homeless, why does HUD need funding for 7+ million homes? That wasn't quite explained except through stretching of the facts in my opinion).

I've seen government groups lie about numbers like this before so I'm not 100% trusting of HUD. Also, they don't include those people who are able to stay in shelters, only those who are actually on the streets, in parks, bridges, stairwells, etc.

As a reference point, the minimum wage rate in 2009 was $7.25 per hour or $15,080 for the 2080 hours in a typical work year. The minimum wage is a little more than the poverty level for a single person unit and about 50% of the poverty level for a family of four (see Poverty in the United States)
Personal Income in the U.S -Wiki

If you are stuck living in one of these cities, your going to be struggling to not be homeless.
1) Santa Ana, CA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,516
2) Los Angeles, CA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,398
3) New Haven, CT: Average Monthly Rent: $1,604
4) Oakland, CA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,318
5) Washington, DC: Average Monthly Rent: $1,419
6) Boston, MA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,752
7) Jose, CA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,520
8) San Francisco, CA: Average Monthly Rent: $1,901
9) Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN: Average Monthly Rent: $965
10) York, NY: Average Monthly Rent: $2,902

Rent prices across the country average about $1,231 each month. 7.1 million Americans work part time jobs.
$7.25hr x 25hrs/wk = $181.25
$181.25 x 2 (weeks) = $362.50
$362.50 x 2 (cheques) = $725 (Now that is before taxes & other deductions)

Federal personal income tax: 17% (2011 est. - 18.2%)
State & local income taxes: 10.1% (2010 - 9.9%)
Social security & Medicare 7.65%
Federal and state corporate income tax share: 2.5%
Other: 6%+ (2009-2013 - 8%+)
Total Tax: 43.25%

$725 x 0.4325= $313.56
$725 - $313.56 =$411.44

Now you have $411.44 a month to pay rent, utilities, groceries, basic household supplies (Toilet paper, light bulbs, shampoo, etc) and clothing. ((Here's hoping you don't have any medical stuff you need to pay for))

Now tell me again how that all works out? If you are lucky to have a partner who also makes minimum wage, you are still only looking at $822.88 a month.

How much tax do you really pay?
September job report

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

No worries, I did the math. Check it out

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

Let's say you come from a low income family, which lots of people do, you can't afford to go to college so you are stuck working $7.25/hr and with 7.1 million Americans only working part time, people can't make ends meet.

Let's say you do get into college, you now have a huge debt to pay when you come out of it. You have to work multiple part time jobs in order to try and make ends meet.

You can look at the positive side all you want but that doesn't change the fact that there is a high number of homeless people, a good chunk are either children, vets or have some sort of mental health issue. This also doesn't change the fact that the U.S government is making it basically illegal to be homeless and doesn't change the fact that the UN is disgusted by the fact.
edit on 10 15 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Being divided into small groups has become almost human nature that I just don't see how we can all unite for a common goal? There is too much hate, ignorance and fear.

yes the system has been designed well to keep people fighting amongst themselves...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Bang on!

All the basic needs of life should be free: food, water, shelter, heat, etc. This is also very much possible but too many people believe it is impossible and if they do think it is possible, they still do not want to put in the hard work to achieve it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I take it that you have opened your home to the homeless how many do you have living with you?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

Bang on!

All the basic needs of life should be free: food, water, shelter, heat, etc. This is also very much possible but too many people believe it is impossible and if they do think it is possible, they still do not want to put in the hard work to achieve it.

why should I work hard to give you something for free?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

Why should you enjoy the blessings and advantages of a society and all the infrastructure that comes with it if you resent paying into the pot?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

Bang on!

The idea would be that even you would get those basics free as well. How was that difficult to understand? Everyone, in a truly equal society, should get a stipend for the basics at their survivable minimum. I'd even go so far as to guarantee it for the rich. It's a piddly amount to them, but there. Give people the option to refuse the stipend and have it go into a kitty-type fund, that might be opted for rather frequently by the better off for all we know.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I pay into the pot every year to the tune of over 5 grand and if I am lucky I might get back 400-600 dollars a year if I am lucky. So don't accuse me of not paying. My local taxs goes to the upkeep of my town through property taxes people who don’t have property do not pay any property tax so how is that fair? they enjoy the benifits of my tax dollars. My one question is how many of you bleeding hearts have taken the homless into you homes and off public assitance?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: guitarplayer

Bang on!

Why should the basic needs free? Who provides these free basic needs? I'll tell you what everything is free in North Korea why don't you go there and live in the utopia?

Yea we saw how well free food and such had worked out in the old USSR.

The idea would be that even you would get those basics free as well. How was that difficult to understand? Everyone, in a truly equal society, should get a stipend for the basics at their survivable minimum. I'd even go so far as to guarantee it for the rich. It's a piddly amount to them, but there. Give people the option to refuse the stipend and have it go into a kitty-type fund, that might be opted for rather frequently by the better off for all we know.

edit on 15-10-2014 by guitarplayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
All 633.000 homeless people in America could have been bought a mansion for the cost of the F 35 fighter

2,443 F-35’s at $156,800,000 = $383,062,400,000 = $600,000 house.

job done

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
All 633.000 homeless people in America could have been bought a mansion for the cost of the F 35 fighter

2,443 F-35’s at $156,800,000 = $383,062,400,000 = $600,000 house.

job done

Hows all that social welfare working out for you there in the UK?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I wish i knew after paying about $ 35.000 in taxes every year i am unable to get any benefits -nada

The rest of the country is loving free ville

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My fiance and I are just barely able to keep ourselves from being homeless so no we can't afford to take someone in.

Frankly I don't know why you asked that. It's not like I'm saying "You guys are horrible selfish people who can't take care of their own." The way you responded, you would think I did say that.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Fear not selfish person, in that situation, everyone would be working equally. You don't have to worry though, there are plenty of selfish people like you so that'll never happen

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join