It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Not really. Not talking about restaurants, housing ect we are talking about forcing pastors that are not PC out of the pulpit. We are talking about squelching a constitutionally protected religious position.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Not really. Not talking about restaurants, housing ect we are talking about forcing pastors that are not PC out of the pulpit. We are talking about squelching a constitutionally protected religious position.

Show me where pastors have been forced out of their churches. Show me where pastors have been forced to not preach against homosexuality. Show me the documents that prove pastors are denied their right to preach.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

"A political philosophy that disregards the Constitution"?

1. Well, at least I respect it enough to properly capitalize its name.

2. Oh, you mean like someone who believes that "free exercise of religion" means "carte blanche to do anything including breaking the law as long as it is called religion"?

Free Exercise meant something very specific in 1791 and so it does today. It means that the government can't make laws restricting citizens' rights to believe whatever crazy crap they want to, to attend church wherever they want, pray however they want, burn incense, candles, or the Holy Books of other crazy crap groups ... they can dance, roll on the floor, do calisthenics, speak in unknown languages, or put on a suit and do the Funky Chicken ... but they CAN'T break the laws of the land and call it religion.

That's about the best example of "special rights" I've ever heard of.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well I may have not capitalized the word but you may notice sometime the total measure of the 1st amendment. Its not just about the church but the press. And it has to do with criticizing the government.....from the pulpit, just like the press. The 1st isn't simply about protecting the church from government intrusion or establishing an official government church but about the church like the press having freedom of speech. There is a reason for that and understanding it would require some background about the philosophy behind it.

mayor should step down for exposing a certain depth of stupidity and ignorance.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Logarock

Show me where pastors have been forced out of their churches. Show me where pastors have been forced to not preach against homosexuality. Show me the documents that prove pastors are denied their right to preach.

What? An attempt to force turnover of information doesn't satisfy your question? Its as bad as asking gay establishments to record all visitors and turn those records over for periodic public examination.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Yep, just as I thought. You have no proof that pastors are being forced out of their churches because it doesn't exist. There are no empty churches with no pastors because the city has forced them out. There are no written orders by the city for the pastors to leave their churches. There are no written orders by the city forbidding pastors to preach against homosexuality. Nada.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Sure, the church has freedom of speech and freedom to print ... With you on that ... Criticize the government ok I know of no laws about that gotcha ... Still has to respond to subpoenas like the rest of us citizens and obey the laws like the rest of us citizens?

Yep, they still have to do that too.

But you're not supporting equal rights you want the churches and Christians to have SPECIAL rights, to be immune to any laws they don't like.

And that's fine, but the Constitution is also about equal protection of the laws and due process (5th and 14th Amendments) not special rights.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join