It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTU develops ultra-fast charging batteries that last 20 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Scientists at Nanyang Technology University (NTU) have developed ultra-fast charging batteries that can be recharged up to 70 per cent in only two minutes.

The new generation batteries also have a long lifespan of over 20 years, more than 10 times compared to existing lithium-ion batteries.

This breakthrough has a wide-ranging impact on all industries, especially for electric vehicles, where consumers are put off by the long recharge times and its limited battery life.

With this new technology by NTU, drivers of electric vehicles could save tens of thousands on battery replacement costs and can recharge their cars in just a matter of minutes.

Commonly used in mobile phones, tablets, and in electric vehicles, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries usually last about 500 recharge cycles. This is equivalent to two to three years of typical use, with each cycle taking about two hours for the battery to be fully charged.

The new batteries use titanium dioxide nanotube technology to replace the traditional graphite in lithium-ion cells and can be recharged up to 10,000 times. Titanium dioxide is an abundant, cheap and safe.

Imagine charging your Tesla Model S in only five minutes instead of overnight!

Source

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Imagine coupling this with solar panels ... every solar panel has an array of batteries built in at the back. This could be applied to everything from homes to mobile devices as well as cars.

Trucks and cars could recharge while parked.
edit on 14-10-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
So very cool! I'm truly hoping this becomes a tech trend that doesn't 'somehow' end up in chaos or worse. Anyone whose been around long enough knows that there ARE certain 'vested interests' that would rather keep all of the toys in their greedy little psychotic hands than to share. a reply to: Shadoefax

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

Yet another in a very very very long line of announcements of would-be revolutionary advancements in battery technology/replacement technology... aaaand I'm still waiting.

We were supposed to have supercapacitors 20 years ago that would charge in a couple minutes and last through exponentially more charge cycles than current rechargeable technologies. Sorry all, not trying to be a cynical ass but you can only read so many of these articles before you become.. a cynical ass

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Utopia is within grasp now. We just have to let go of our archaic traditions and reach for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think this is a really big breakthrough, but not just because of the advancement itself, but also because the technology should not take obscene amounts of money to come to market. The cost of production should be reasonable, and this is a huge factor that determines whether a tech breakthrough actually reaches us. Some breakthroughs don't reach us because the production costs do not make a business investment very appealing. Or the product would have to be sold for high prices, meaning that few units would be sold, further making the idea non-viable.

I think that it will take something like this to make public charging stations for electric vehicles. It is not always practical to charge your vehicle at home, and there are not stations for charging your electric car like there are gas stations, on every corner, and this battery breakthrough will make these stations more viable, which in turn will make electric vehicles more viable. The most obvious tech would be cell phones and laptops, as everyone hates having to wait hours for a device to fully charge. That would be really cool. I am not always excited about technological advancements, because rarely do these advancements seem to reach the public to a large degree, for various reasons, and if they do it always takes forever...but this might not take that long at all, and that has me hopeful.
edit on 10/14/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
And the energy density is...? The lack of mention of capacity is suspicious. The tech is no good if it only holds 5% the charge of current batteries.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Battery research is a very active area.

2007 Toshiba announced a lithium titanate oxide battery with "90% charge capacity in just 10 minutes".
www.pcauthority.com.au...

It is used by Mitsubishi i-MiEV (2011), Honda Fit EV (2013) and some e-bikes.

So I guess this new titanium dioxide variant will hit the market pretty soon.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
And the energy density is...? The lack of mention of capacity is suspicious.

While not mentioned explicitly, it certainly is implied. I got the impression it is a replacement for a standard lithium-ion battery and could be used anywhere that a standard one is used. And if that is the case, the energy density would be that of a conventional lithium-ion cell: 250–730 W·h/L (watt-hours per liter).

This is not an altogether new battery technology, just an improvement upon an existing one.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

I think the fact it's not mentioned says a lot. It's the one piece of information that would sink or swim the tech, that it is left out of the press release probably means that it's the fly in the proverbial ointment.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Source release seems to imply that its a new type of electrode for Lithium batteries but it also implies that it may eventually result in higher energy density lithium batteries. Excellent breakthrough if true.

Lithium-ion batteries usually use additives to bind the electrodes to the anode, which affects the speed in which electrons and ions can transfer in and out of the batteries. However, Prof Chen’s new cross-linked titanium dioxide nanotube-based electrodes eliminates the need for these additives and can pack more energy into the same amount of space.

How much power can be stored in a certain amount of space – which directly relates to the fast charge ability.

Link

top topics

join