It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isis the comet in 2013 and Isis the terrorist group in 2014? please explain why the same name? than

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Shar
Apparently it's a translation of their own Arabic name for themselves (which has since been abbreviated to Islamic State).

edit on 13-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I really don't understand this line of thinking.

Given IS' stated intention was (at the time) to create an Caliphate (Islamic State) in Syria and Iraq, it's hardly surprising the term ISIS stuck, is it?

In any event, the Arabic name of the group - 'ad-Dawlah al-Islāmīyah' (almost literally, Islamic State) - is generally known as "Daʿesh" in the region itself which is basically an acronym similar in form to IS.

The ISIS and ISIL tags are just Western translations of their earlier names, and have nothing to do with comets or anything else. The media in the West has tended to keep with ISIS as that's the name they're known by here.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Sep. 12, 2014 addendum: Here's one reason why the U.S. government may have chosen ISIL over ISIS: the Integrated Sensor is Structure program of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency in the Pentagon is known as ISIS. According to Politico, it

is intended to research the risks tied to building a next-generation airship should the Pentagon ever decide to build such a blimp. The program, which is contracted to Lockheed Martin, is designed to provide the Air Force enhanced radar and intelligence and surveillance capabilities. But unlike some others unfortunate enough to share an acronym with the militant group, DARPA has no intention of renaming ISIS, DARPA spokesman Rick Weiss told Politico. "It is scheduled actually to end in March [2015], so it won't be around that much longer."

www.danielpipes.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Apparently it's a translation of their own Arabic name for themselves (which has since been abbreviated to Islamic State).

very interesting thank you for that information

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus

I really don't understand this line of thinking.

Given IS' stated intention was (at the time) to create an Caliphate (Islamic State) in Syria and Iraq, it's hardly surprising the term ISIS stuck, is it?

In any event, the Arabic name of the group - 'ad-Dawlah al-Islāmīyah' (almost literally, Islamic State) - is generally known as "Daʿesh" in the region itself which is basically an acronym similar in form to IS.

The ISIS and ISIL tags are just Western translations of their earlier names, and have nothing to do with comets or anything else. The media in the West has tended to keep with ISIS as that's the name they're known by here.

when did this name come about do you know? thank you for replying

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shar

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Comet ISON was never called Isis.

If you look at your search link, it shows blogs of some people wondering if ISON was "the return of the goddess Isis".

However: the comet was never referred to as "Isis" at any point.

thank you for your reply, however, why do you think someone out there has named this terroist group, Isis, within a year after the comet Ison/isis that people were wondering so much about at the time....its just to me there's more behind this..idk...

Comets are not named by governments. They are named by astronomers. Normally they are named and cataloged based upon who found it and when.

Here is a list of Periodic Comets

ISON was a non-periodic comet. It was not really named ISON. ISON is just an acronym for International Scientific Optical Network which consists of 10 countries of 30 telescopes and 20 observatories.

ISON was formally known as C/2012 S1. That was it's actual name "C/2012 S1".

People took to calling it ISON because typing ISON is easier to remember, and saying "Eye-Son" was easier than "C/2012 S1".

Neither have ANYTHING at all to do with ISIS or the Goddess Isis (which is not spelled with all caps like an acronym is). No mainstream media that I'm aware of, nor any astronomer ever referred to C/2012 S1 as "ISIS" or "Isis". Ever.

The only people that referred to C/2012 S1 as Isis were people that are into hoping that the comet was an ancient Egyptian goddess......who, last I looked, also have NOTHING to do with a Islamic group.

ISIS is one of several acronyms for Islamic State of Syria and Iraq. It's also been called ISIL and just IS.

edit on 13-10-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Sep. 12, 2014 addendum: Here's one reason why the U.S. government may have chosen ISIL over ISIS: the Integrated Sensor is Structure program of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency in the Pentagon is known as ISIS. According to Politico, it

is intended to research the risks tied to building a next-generation airship should the Pentagon ever decide to build such a blimp. The program, which is contracted to Lockheed Martin, is designed to provide the Air Force enhanced radar and intelligence and surveillance capabilities. But unlike some others unfortunate enough to share an acronym with the militant group, DARPA has no intention of renaming ISIS, DARPA spokesman Rick Weiss told Politico. "It is scheduled actually to end in March [2015], so it won't be around that much longer."

www.danielpipes.org...

thank you, very interesting, but how do you know it won't be around much longer, none the less there's always a new group with a new name that comes about, everytime one goes away.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Comet ISON was never called Isis.

If you look at your search link, it shows blogs of some people wondering if ISON was "the return of the goddess Isis".

However: the comet was never referred to as "Isis" at any point.

thank you for your reply, however, why do you think someone out there has named this terroist group, Isis, within a year after the comet Ison/isis that people were wondering so much about at the time....its just to me there's more behind this..idk...

Comets are not named by governments. They are named by astronomers. Normally they are named and cataloged based upon who found it and when.

Here is a list of Periodic Comets

ISON was a non-periodic comet. It was not really named ISON. ISON is just an acronym for International Scientific Optical Network which consists of 10 countries of 30 telescopes and 20 observatories.

ISON was formally known as C/2012 S1. That was it's actual name "C/2012 S1".

People took to calling it ISON because typing ISON is easier to remember, and saying "Eye-Son" was easier than "C/2012 S1".

Neither have ANYTHING at all to do with ISIS or the Goddess Isis (which is not spelled with all caps like an acronym is). No mainstream media that I'm aware of, nor any astronomer ever referred to C/2012 S1 as "ISIS" or "Isis". Ever.

The only people that referred to C/2012 S1 as Isis were people that are into hoping that the comet was an ancient Egyptian goddess......who, last I looked, also have NOTHING to do with a Islamic group.

ISIS is one of several acronyms for Islamic State of Syria and Iraq. It's also been called ISIL and just IS.

thank you for this information, that helps

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

From my reading, it seems that it's quite difficult to identify exactly when the term ISIS became common - although 'Daʿesh' appears to have been in use for a while, and not exclusively in relation to this specific group.

It strikes me that a lot of these violent, facistic jihadi groups behave like viruses - as in there's lots of small ones cropping up all the time. Some of them are even very dangerous, but often so much that they burn themselves out without spreading widely. As with viruses, those that do survive are constantly mutating, creating different groups with different tactics. This is why it's difficult to stop them as a whole.

I suppose you might draw a parallel between ISIS and Ebola in some ways... a small, but very dangerous virus allowed to smoulder in the wild under the assumption it'd burn out. Like Ebola, it's now circling population centres and running the risk of mutating into an altogether more lethal force.

I would extend the analogy to include that both could most likely be contained by a co-ordinated effort, but that's simply personal conjecture. Like any virus, ISIS and Ebola will never truly go away - they'll just change and start again from scratch.

edit on 13-10-2014 by KingIcarus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus

From my reading, it seems that it's quite difficult to identify exactly when the term ISIS became common - although 'Daʿesh' appears to have been in use for a while, and not exclusively in relation to this specific group.

It strikes me that a lot of these violent, facistic jihadi groups behave like viruses - as in there's lots of small ones cropping up all the time. Some of them are even very dangerous, but often so much that they burn themselves out without spreading widely. As with viruses, those that do survive are constantly mutating, creating different groups with different tactics. This is why it's difficult to stop them as a whole.

I suppose you might draw a parallel between ISIS and Ebola in some ways... a small, but very dangerous virus allowed to smoulder in the wild under the assumption it'd burn out. Like Ebola, it's now circling population centres and running the risk of mutating into an altogether more lethal force.

I would extend the analogy to include that both could most likely be contained by a co-ordinated effort, but that's simply personal conjecture. Like any virus, ISIS and Ebola will never truly go away - they'll just change and start again from scratch.

thank you, and that last statement, made a lot of since, of course all you said did, but especially that last one.. hope your day is a good one.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Because "I.S.I.S." is an anagram (like C.I.A., F.B.I. etc)...an abbrieviation for ISLAMIC STATES (etc)......and not a word as in the comet.

One is a NAME, the other is an ANAGRAM-ABBREVIATION of a NAME (titled group).

(Youre welcome...)

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Isn't it the name of a godess too?

The name of a huge yacht in our local marina too?

Also.....the name of a strip club in our local city.

I challenge anyone to find a conspiracy there.

CX.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Anybody find it ironic that a group who harbors so much oppression towards women would be named after a goddess?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CX

CX.

Find out if any members of the top world powers owns the yacht and attends the strip club and you have a grand beginning conspiracy :-)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I thought the same thing about ALF (the 1980's television show), and ALF (the Animal Liberation Front). Yeah, sure, one is a fictional TV show from the 80's and one is a group of Seattle based hippies, but still, there's GOT to be a sinister connection. I just don't know what it may be. I mean God only knows what those crafty Egyptians who worshipped ISIS back in 3000 BC are up too! They GOT to have a connection to the terrorist tards we know as ISIS today!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Because "I.S.I.S." is an anagram (like C.I.A., F.B.I. etc)...an abbrieviation for ISLAMIC STATES (etc)......and not a word as in the comet.

One is a NAME, the other is an ANAGRAM-ABBREVIATION of a NAME (titled group).

(Youre welcome...)

okay thank you
i loved how you said, your welcome first, made me laugh

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CX

CX.

hummm very interesting, someone need to take that challege

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AquaAscending
Anybody find it ironic that a group who harbors so much oppression towards women would be named after a goddess?

would love more responses on this one

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeliefInReality

I thought the same thing about ALF (the 1980's television show), and ALF (the Animal Liberation Front). Yeah, sure, one is a fictional TV show from the 80's and one is a group of Seattle based hippies, but still, there's GOT to be a sinister connection. I just don't know what it may be. I mean God only knows what those crafty Egyptians who worshipped ISIS back in 3000 BC are up too! They GOT to have a connection to the terrorist tards we know as ISIS today!

exactly, but you know these people has been fighting for well over 3000 years etc...its just weird that every month or whenever we supposly took out one group suddenly another is up and there and this time just happens to have that name, idk...weird is all.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Im sorry 'bout that. Sometimes my sarcasm gets the better of me! Anyway....I STILL understood your questioning of the similarities in reference to the term, name and abbreviated anagram. Interesting to say the least...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join