It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warren: Obama Protected Wall Street Over American Citizens

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SourGrapes

You and your family should take more credit then if you're being honest. Lying is pretty common practice everywhere. It's barely considered wrong by most people and it's considered a virtue among the upper classes.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

You and your family should take more credit then if you're being honest. Lying is pretty common practice everywhere. It's barely considered wrong by most people and it's considered a virtue among the upper classes.

That is the sad part about our society. When did we become so accepting of liars and pretty much expect dishonesty? We weren't always this way. I'm not so naive to believe or society was 'Leave it to Beaver', but I know that dishonesty used to be frowned on and called out. People went to great lengths to cover their lies. We had terms for the people in our society who just couldn't seem to utter a truthful word if their life depended on it: pathological liars. I really can not remember the last time I heard that term used to describe someone. It's become so common that we no longer shun those that are caught red-handed. Pride is no longer a virtue and values are attacked. Morals are fairy tales and respect is demanded instead of earned.

I'm sad that our society has accepted bad behavior as the norm. People demand respect instead of earn it. Our heros are tainted and our role-models aren't expected to behave. They're 'human' after all, so why should we expect them to be 'perfect', right? Even if the best of them are worse than most of us. I mean sheesh, it's not Miley's fault mothers expected her to be a role model for their preteen daughters. Who cares if football players beat women or run illegal dog-fighting matches. It's okay for Presidents to cheat on their wives and reverends to snort coke. I mean they're human, right?

When did we stop holding people accountable for their actions, when did we begin to excuse bad behavior of those who represent us? Why is it that people who commit crimes are given citizenship; while educated, hard-working, entrepreneurs are held to perpetual waiting lists? Why is having children out of wedlock now the norm instead of the exception? People used to have too much pride to ask for handouts, now we believe we are entitled.

I could go on, but I think the picture is clear.

edit on 15-10-2014 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

It's the result of a deep rooted belief that success denotes quality.

Since America is so strong and rich it must be because of our ideology not a complex web of factors mostly having nothing to do with the actions of Americans.

Bill Gates must be a genius and hard working because he made so much money, ignoring his advantages of birth, luck and timing as well as his incredibly dirty business practices.

In our society people like your family or mine don't seek out fame or fortune. Without one or the other you are essentially voiceless outside your community and social group. Over time as the world is more interconnected fame or fortune give you a disproportionally loud voice.

The compounding effect is that the worst kinds tend to rise to the top. There are exceptions to this, since some decent people are so good at what they do for a living they end up with fame or fortune without seeking it but that is not common.

Most of the rich and famous are there because success, power and acclaim or other external validations are their guiding star. When your primary motivation is a selfish need for external validation it's nearly impossible to maintain morality. Only when your goals include caring about other people can you maintain morality. If your entire world is just you everyone else becomes a mere prop on the show of your life.

Empathy is the requirement for morality and today empathy is in short supply.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
To all of the above, very well said!

The emotional drive behind this thread seems to ring true to many people. The concept of lack of integrity in our leadership. In fact it's gotten to be such a game that all one crook has to do in order to gain a following is to out another crook. In this case, Warren and Obama - it is probably the game plan. Get a few high profile Democrats on the "Anti-Obama" train to hedge bets in the 2016 election... Basically covering both sides of the coin for whatever his approval rating happens to be when the caucuses and debates start.

At that point we'll be exposed to a dozen, or so, hand picked Candidates and we'll be given the illusion of choice. That covers both sides of the field - as well as the third parties desperately trying to edge their way in.

I have come to the sad and firm belief that nobody worth a damn can make it onto a ballot. The process and powers exist to make sure the honest folks get knocked out of the race way before few, if any, can learn their names.

Integrity cannot compete with hundreds of millions of dollars in political war-chests and media bias.

Thus we end up finding ourselves in the voting booth desperately seeking to choose between the lesser of two evils. And that is a shame.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join