It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Camping - Questions I have.. (North of Scotland.)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I will get straight to the questions I have if anyone can help me out thanks...

Quick summary -

I am getting fed up working a 9-5 job for the last 10 or so years only living to scrape by. I spend my time working all week and partying all weekend. It's been fun and I have had many great experiences. But for the last few years I have fallen into drugs and drink heavily this is followed by lots of debt. Feeling up and down all the time. My life style has exhausted me I think. I do have a loving family and partner and a couple cute ass little dogs! But for a while now I need to experience solitude. I want to isolate myself and enjoy being back to nature again thriving off the land not having to worry about the stresses of everyday life, not having to get up early for work everyday! Lol. But I guess this gives you an idea why I want to do it so here goes.

P.S I know this wont be a walk in the park and this is the reason why I am here...

1. I am planning, to begin in January, to head of to the North of Scotland to "Bug Out" and do a bit of wild camping. Where abouts?? I am not actually sure yet. Any suggestions? If winter is still heavy at this point I will maybe leave it until a little later until the winter is dropping off. Just definitely not during the midst of winter...

2. Hunting in the wild and the laws? Seeing as I wanna go somewhere really isolated anyway I don't think this would be an issue however would still like to know the law in Scotland for hunting rabbits and pheasants? I know a permit is needed for larger game like deer yeah?

3. Weapons while camping and the laws? A mercury 2.2 air rifle with scope, Hunting knife (Blade 5 inches) is what I have plus general pocket knives also with the multi tools.

4. I need a good guide to foraging up north for berries and such as well as leaves and plant life I could use for medicinal uses and maybe eating as well.

5. Tree's... for fire wood which are best to use (I use always scrape together lots of any type of wood lying about.) Chopping trees down... is it illegal? Agin I will be isolated anyway but just want to know.

This is all I can think of just now but feel free to add to help me out as I am sure there is questions I havent thought about and would like to know as much as I can about wild camping.

My last question would be have any of you done it yourself??? If so how long did you do it for and what was your experience like (Only answer this if it relates to the north of Scotland thanks.)

Text On my fitness... and experience

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I need to add that I do have experience camping for a few years now, normally only a weekend here and there each month. I know what the climate can be like however I have only ever been a little further than Fort William.

From NOW until the date I pack to leave I will be camping every weekend to "prepare" and practice all my said skills.

I know it would be stupid to go into this blind.

Cheers guys.

Do not get me wrong I may drink and take drugs however I am in immaculate condition physically I would say (My organs on the other hand... Are probably not in the best shape). I am a body builder (12 stone.) I have been training for 15 years. I can run 4 miles in 32 minutes. I do aerobic training as in boxing and BJJ and a few other mixed martial arts. I do hill walking with heavy loads.

I do sound like I am blowing my own trumpet here and I do not mean to I just want to give you an idea of my conditioning levels.

I have been through the mental struggle cutting and having little to food. I know how hard it can be that way but out in the wild I imagine it would be a totally different story.

I am aware that still out in the wild these attributes would not help a lot without the appropriate experience.
edit on 12-10-2014 by Vaxellion because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2014 by Vaxellion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How far north are you talking?

But in fairness heading out into the wild solo with no experience is a pretty crazy thing to do and I don't expect anyone to disagree with me.

Why not try camping out in a couple of weeks time on a camp site so you can see just how cold it gets.

I am not insulting your manliness but I have lived outdoors in some pretty hardcore conditions and it is not something I would ever do by choice without proper experience and certainly not alone.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Not to sound too negative, but if you don't have any experience with bushcraft or surviving I would highly suggest you DO NOT DO THIS.

A good backpacking trip for a week or so would be a better idea. There is no reason to put your life in danger if you do not have experience. Internet "knowledge" is not going to do you much good.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't live in your area,but for the past few months on and off I have lived in various stages of roughing it so to speak,as a prep for an extended period of time. My suggestion to you is just that. Find somewhere for a weekend,then maybe a week. Test yourself to see if this is what you really want. Secondly,many say they wish to do this type of lifestyle because they believe it's easier than everyday societal expectations. It's not easier,it's just different. You don't realize what you take for granted till you don't have it. Lastly,why on earth would you want to venture this in the dead of winter? Inexperienced as you are,that is foolhardy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vaxellion

You might be better off trying to find some local outdoor groups, hiking, survival ect and then try to build up from there,

Either that or maybe look to going to a warmer climate to try your survival skills or at least hold off till warmer months.

I have wild camped with a couple of friends near inverness in april and although a bit wet was entirely possible with the right information and supplies.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I second the DO NOT DO THIS. Foraging is far more stressful than working 9 - 5 and if you're in the wild get ill or injured there's a very high chance you'll die.

I did 2500 mile bike ride around the wilds of Europe in excellent weather and by the third week I was bored out my mind and found it impossible to keep fluids and food up.

It takes years to learn survival and one mistake can easily cost you your life.

Start off easy backpacking on the the outskirts of towns so you can find refuge when needed - also you're better in somewhere with a stable climate as North Scotland is about as unpredictable as you can get and the ground may well still be frozen and finding dry wood will be pretty impossible.
edit on 12-10-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Check the property laws as well. There is no land which is not technically under ownership.
Before trying to shoot game, check the definition of "poaching".

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Stop the drugs and alcohol. Stop partying. Save the cash to pay off your dept and slowly start to sort your life out.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
P.S - What of experience do you have in endurance sports, first aid and mental agility and rigidity do you have?

You should be at least able to run a marathon in 4hrs, know how to stitch/glue yourself up and be able to break through 'the wall' with a smile on your face before attempting it.

Before I did the bike ride I was cycling 100 miles a day in the Lake District with 50kg on my back 5 days a week and before Tough Mudder I was running 10k a day with a 40kg Bergen plus 100 press ups and 50 pull ups a day for a month and I've been an 'elite' squash player since age 11 with a resting heart rate of 45bpm.

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Check the property laws as well. There is no land which is not technically under ownership.
Before trying to shoot game, check the definition of "poaching".

True - nearly all the land in Scotland belongs to the monarchy and the monarchy don't need to register their land ownership with the land registry so you can be trespassing and poaching without knowing it. Having a gun on royal grounds can quickly get you arrested.
edit on 12-10-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I need to add that I do have experience camping for a few years now, normally only a weekend here and there each month. I know what the climate can be like however I have only ever been a little further than Fort William.

From NOW until the date I pack to leave I will be camping every weekend to "prepare" and practice all my said skills.

Cheers guys.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Head out in January in the North of Scotland? I love your bravery, but when you begin studying, you generally don't jump straight to the most difficult test first. If you do camp out, make sure you have a means of escape, a phone, someone to rescue you or something. Hypothermia is unforgiving. There is no second attempt if you fail with that force of nature.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vaxellion

Cheers guys.

I hope you don't think this is negativity. Can I ask what tent and sleeping bag you have?

I have a north face mounaineering tent, two man aliminium poles, storm very lightweight. I have a four season sleeping bag and the combination of the two has seen me through 65 mile an hour winds and storms allthough is was not pleasant.

Another good idea is to put you kit together and then try carrying it, Include water and emergency food clothing ect.

Please take into consideration the whole solo thing. You can twist an ankle in a divot and if immobilised what are you going to do.

I hope you prepare well enough and actaully do it but as I imagine any one would say, please do it right.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
P.S - What of experience do you have in endurance sports, first aid and mental agility and rigidity do you have?

You should be at least able to run a marathon in 4hrs, know how to stitch/glue yourself up and be able to break through 'the wall' with a smile on your face before attempting it.

Before I did the bike ride I was cycling 100 miles a day in the Lake District with 50kg on my back 5 days a week and before Tough Mudder I was running 10k a day with a 40kg Bergen plus 100 press ups and 50 pull ups a day for a month and I've been an 'elite' squash player since age 11 with a resting heart rate of 45bpm.

Do not get me wrong I may drink and take drugs however I am in immaculate condition physically I would say (My organs on the other hand... Are probably not in the best shape). I am a body builder (12 stone.) I have been training for 15 years. I can run 4 miles in 32 minutes. I do aerobic training as in boxing and BJJ and a few other mixed martial arts. I do hill walking with heavy loads.

I do sound like I am blowing my own trumpet here and I do not mean to I just want to give you an idea of my conditioning levels.

I have been through the mental struggle cutting and having little to food. I know how hard it can be that way but out in the wild I imagine it would be a totally different story.

I am aware that still out in the wild these attributes would not help a lot without the appropriate experience.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Maybe go camping first, and stop partying. Get good with your girl if not already and find a new career.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have wild camped all over the UK including Scotland. I think you would be mad to try it during the winter, unless you were near enough to civilisation to eat out every night and get warm. By “mad”, I mean you would not survive. In winter your clothes get wet and do not dry.

In Scotland I have fished on hill lochs (fly fishing, so quite inefficient), but that would be too risky in winter. Similarly, sea fishing would be difficult as the easy to catch mackerel would not be around.

Wild camp when it’s warmer, that’s my advice.

Regards

edit on 12/10/2014 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You are a brave man wanting to go up north in winter camping where minus - 20 is the normal temp and i have a feeling this year will be wet and cold , it can be done but you will need to be made of stern stuff to survive the landscape , the weather in one glen can be totally different from the other glen it can be snowing or raining heavily in one place and decent 5 miles away .

Glad to see you are getting sick of the Drink & Especially the drugs it shows that you are growing up been there bud you will look back and think about all the time/money/brain cells that were wasted
keep on the path .

I would leave it till the spring as some years the winter can last 9 months in the highlands the Cairngorm mountains have a reputation among mountaineers of being worse than Everest i believe

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

A large number of former and current S.A.S soldiers live and come from this area so it is no walk in the park , and some landowners can be quite ruthless if you do not ask permission to camp or hunt especially to fish in some of the better rivers who employ ex marines etc as gamekeepers to protect their land , some fishing and hunting costs thousands per week so be very very careful what you do .

Better a spring time bug out i would say but if you are really determined have a good set up of tent/ sleeping bag and not cheap rubbish

ps leave the mushrooms alone

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
Maybe go camping first, and stop partying. Get good with your girl if not already and find a new career.
Updated original post with my replies...

I will find a new career after I experience this. I have a few options I can turn to.

I go camping already and will continue to do so until I am prepared enough.

Me and my girl are fine (It is possible she may come with me.)

It's just something I really want to do not so much as I need to do.

Thanks though buddy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ok so maybe winter is not the best time to begin this adventure by the sounds of it... I am here to listen and learn also.

So spring seems promising from the sounds of it. It's not something urgent I am prepared to hold back some extra months to a more suited time for this.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You may want to check out A Woodsrunners Diary blog. This guy lived off grid for 30 years. His site is a wealth of information on camping and survival using a little (mostly home made) primitive equipment from days gone by. You really need to practice and learn some skills before you go all the way!a reply to: Vaxellion

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's good to see your taking this seriously, another thing I would like to add if you choose to go alone as opposed to your partner coming with you is solitude can be an unusual sensation.

I spent around 3 weeks camping in solitude(although not in northern Scotland in January) about 5 years ago.

It is only when you are truly on your own that you realise how long a day is. With no tv, internet, phone or books then it does not take long to realise that there are many things you have found a way of avoided thinking about.

When it's dark and there is only you and several hours before daylight there is little else to do other than contemplate things. Although this can be benificial in the long term it can be quite disturbing.

Also badgers sound like grizzly bears at 1am.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join