It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy Rider motorcycle going up for auction.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Here's one for all you chopper fans.

On Oct. 18, the Calabasas, Calif.-based auction house Profiles In History will auction off what it says is the last authentic motorcycle used in the filming of 1969's Easy Rider, and what some consider the most famous motorcycle in the world.

Peter Fonda, who played Wyatt in the Dennis Hopper-directed film, rode the so-called "Captain America" bike, named for its distinctive American flag color scheme and known for its sharply-angled long front end.

The bike currently for sale was partially destroyed in the film's finale, the auction house says, and then rebuilt by actor Dan Haggerty. (The three other bikes used in the production were stolen prior to the film's release.)

According to Brian Chanes, acquisitions manager for the auction house, the bike's estimated value is between $1 million and $1.2 million.
NPR radio has a big story on the bikes used in the movie

Something I didn't know until I read the whole story is the bike is not called 'Easy Rider', it's real name is the "Captain America" bike !
now that's kind of cool...

Hey little girl, want ta ride on my "Captain America" bike ???

Okay so who's gonna borrow me 1.2 million so I can make a bid on this bad boy...?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
"I said god damn"!

Boy, i would love to ride that freaking bike!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't see that bike going for that much motorcycles don't go for as much as cars. The Harley that belonged to Pope Francis only went for 284K and the highest price paid for a collection of Bonhams's was 4 million so there is no way this will go for a million much less 1.2. Besides why pay that much when you can spend around 40 grand and build a replica and get a bike that hasn't been wrecked.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The bike currently for sale was partially destroyed in the film's finale, the auction house says, and then rebuilt by actor Dan Haggerty. (The three other bikes used in the production were stolen prior to the film's release.)

So its been refurbished and is not unique. Not qualified as a holy relic. Captain America is a fictitious comic book character and "chopped" forks are dangerous. I much prefer Hoppers character to Fondas and the Billy Bike to that other piece of crap anyway. Its more practical and currently is missing. Now thats a holy relic.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That's a beautiful ride. This is a beauty too:

Mad Max Bubble Trike

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
huh, I thought I read somewhere that that bike got destroyed, stolen or something. Didn't think it still was around.

Guess I was wrong.

Piece of movie history there.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I don't see that bike going for that much motorcycles don't go for as much as cars. The Harley that belonged to Pope Francis only went for 284K and the highest price paid for a collection of Bonhams's was 4 million so there is no way this will go for a million much less 1.2. Besides why pay that much when you can spend around 40 grand and build a replica and get a bike that hasn't been wrecked.

Oh, Gentleman's bet. I bet it tops 2 million. So many Hedge Fund Bastards have the extra pocket change. Shame it may fall in such ugly custody.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 12-10-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

So its been refurbished and is not unique. Not qualified as a holy relic. Captain America is a fictitious comic book character and "chopped" forks are dangerous. I much prefer Hoppers character to Fondas and the Billy Bike to that other piece of crap anyway. Its more practical and currently is missing. Now thats a holy relic.

I agree, i would much prefer the billy bike for a road trip. Captain america looks good but probaby rides like a tonnne of awkward scrap metal arter a minute....would still be fun to roll up to a circus on one though hahahah

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

Captain america looks good but probably rides like a tonnne of awkward scrap metal after a minute…

Lol, and Fonda was a wannabe free spirit. Pussy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I just can't see that bike going for that high a price.. 50 or 60 grand, tops I would think.
I guess it all depends on who wants it bad enough I guess

I stick with my ride cause mine is nicer LOL,,well maybe not, but mine does have back shocks LOL 1986 HD FXST Softail
edit on 14/10/2014 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

originally posted by: buster2010

Oh, Gentleman's bet. I bet it tops 2 million. So many Hedge Fund Bastards have the extra pocket change. Shame it may fall in such ugly custody.

The only way it would go for that price is if it were a charity auction. The reason being the price can be written off their taxes. I think it will go for around 200 to 300K and that is because Peter Fonda used it in a movie.
edit on 12-10-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Will Captain America sell for more than McQueen's Indian

Actor and motorcycle buff Steve McQueen on his 1940 Indian Chief, which sold at Bonham & Butterfield's November 14 "Classic California" auction for a record $99,450.

Read more: www.motorcycleclassics.com...

Dennis Hopper and Steve Mcqueen Motorcycles Added to the Mecum Celebrity Items Auction

Read more: www.motorcycleclassics.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Captain america looks good but probably rides like a tonnne of awkward scrap metal after a minute…

Lol, and Fonda was a wannabe free spirit. Pussy.

Wut?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Not you, him. Peter Fonda was a punk, a poser. He tried to represent the anti establishment spirit of the times (poorly) in some peoples minds.

He rode around on his dads actor coattail status.

You want revolution, look to Abbie Hoffman, Hunter Thompson, Ken Kesey, Dennis Hppper, not Fonda or Leary or ilk.

ETA: You watch that film and its obvious Fonda is playing a role, Hopper is playing himself. Kind of reflects on the society at the time. Same with their bikes.
edit on 13-10-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You want revolution, look to Abbie Hoffman, Hunter Thompson, Ken Kesey, Dennis Hppper, not Fonda or Leary or ilk.

ETA: You watch that film and its obvious Fonda is playing a role, Hopper is playing himself. Kind of reflects on the society at the time. Same with their bikes.

Haha, it reflects society now in much the same way i think... People riding on the success of their fathers, playing a really bad role, vs people making it on their own trying to be themselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow 1.6 mill,
and there's a possibility Haggerty already sold an authenticated one?
Anyway I guess if you got the money to wast. all the power to ya.

Iconic ‘Captain America’ chopper from ‘Easy Rider’ auctioned off for $1.35 million

Despite questions over its authenticity, the last remaining ‘Captain America’ chopper from the 1969 movie “Easy Rider” sold at auction Saturday night for $1.35 million.

According to the LA Times, with auction fees, the final cost was more than $1.6 million.

~~
While some have questioned the authenticity of the Harley-Davidson, Eisenberg said that he became convinced it was the last remaining “Easy Rider” motorcycle by actor Dan Haggerty, best known for his role on television as ‘Grizzly Adams.’

~~
Owner Eisenberg and auction house Profiles in History have cited Haggerty as their principal authenticator of the bike, despite Haggerty’s admission to The Times that he had already sold and authenticated a different ‘Captain America’ bike years before with written assurances to its new owner that it was the remaining “Easy Rider” chopper.

~~
Fonda, who co-wrote the film’s screenplay and provided the original sketch on which the chopper was based, told The Times he was concerned by Haggerty’s previous authentication and hoped the auction would be called off.

“There’s a big rat stinking someplace in this,” Fonda said.
www.rawstory.com...

edit on 19/10/2014 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sauron

I know, saw it on the News ...

Fonda authenticated said bike and signed his name to it...according to CBS Evening news...
who am I to say different? either way it has become the most expensive bike on the planet

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
lol wow didnt see that coming
a reply to: HardCorps

top topics

join