It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Troops Jeer Rumsfeld - Question Lack Of Body Armor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

U.S. Troops Fire Complaints at Rumsfeld

Reuters logo Wednesday, December 08, 2004 1:22 p.m. ET

By Tabassum Zakaria

CAMP BUEHRING, Kuwait (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld came under friendly fire Wednesday from troops who took up his invitation to ask tough questions about Iraq.

Hundreds of soldiers applauded a comrade who complained to Rumsfeld that U.S. troops were being forced to dig up scrap metal to protect their vehicles in Iraq because of a shortage of armored transport.

Another soldier asked Rumsfeld what the Pentagon was doing "to address shortages and antiquated equipment that National Guard soldiers ... are going to roll into Iraq with?" The soldier was referring to allegations that regular army units have been given better equipment than reservists.

"Now settle down, settle down. Hell, I'm an old man, and it's early in the morning. I'm just gathering my thoughts here," the 72-year-old Rumsfeld told the troops.

Another soldier asked Rumsfeld about the army's "stop-loss" policy that has prevented thousands of soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan from leaving the military when their volunteer service commitment ends.

Another asked him what the plan for U.S. forces was after Iraq's parliamentary elections, scheduled for Jan. 30.

Wired News

Why the guy hasn't been fired already, is beyond me, but it's nice to see troops asking the tough questions, that should never an issue in the first place. Bush is famous, or infamous, for not answering questions from anyone, without it first being reviewed, and then only from appropriate sources. I'm glad Rumsfield is man enough to look people in the eye, and take the tough questions. Or did he think that the soldiers would be timid, even as thier buddies die around them due to the Bush administration lack of planning, inept handling of the Iraq occupation? Maybe he didn't expect such frankness? I think the questions, and the tone of the questions, show just what the soldeirs think of their leadership and their "war".

U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld addresses U.S. military personnel in Kuwait before their scheduled departure for Iraqi combat-zones, December 8, 2004. An American soldier complained to Rumsfeld that troops were being forced to dig up scrap metal to protect their vehicles in Iraq because of a shortage of armored transport. Photo by Larry Downing/Reuters

Reuters

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the ATSNN article.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by curme]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well the picture of rumsfeld is a good one..it says it all really that the soldiers were'nt quite so happy with the situation he's left them in,not to mention put then in the first place..

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Reading both threads, I don't see where any "jeering" was done.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sorry, but you got beat to the punch on this one. See the original thread here:

U.S. Troops Tell Rumsfeld They Use Scrap as Armor in Iraq

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join