It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Virus - Structure

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Biotech2024

I remember that the people that got infested in the 80s from the reston did not die from the disease.

Also, now that you have a more inside view on the ebola that is been the one infecting people as today, what are your views of the implications of becoming airborne.

it is airborne in the sense that it can survive for hours outside the body and even drift in the air till it hits a cell that macropinocytosis can occur in. Macropinocytosis is the process where by the virus enters the cell. Reston and Zaire variants are implied to have to same transmission modality/dynamics.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 12-10-2014 by Biotech2024 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Biotech I think you are my new best friend...if I could email you a bottle of scotch I would.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I agree that if it can survive outside the body for extended periods of time should be considered airborne but can it actually travel like the flu?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I agree that if it can survive outside the body for extended periods of time should be considered airborne but can it actually travel like the flu?

I would argue its transmission is more versatile than the flu, a real world experiment will occur in a couple months when snow starts falling. The virus can survive indefinitely in cold climate on surfaces that are protected from direct sunlight. Ebola infects many cell types whereas flu a small number.

To give you an idea, just look at what has happened past few days, people presumed to be protected still ended up getting it. Look at the gear that people need to wear, including N95 respirator.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: netwarrior
Biotech I think you are my new best friend...if I could email you a bottle of scotch I would.

thanx!!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

It's the sweat that has me nervous. Patients that are febrile invariably sweat, and this strain (I do not call this Zaire any longer, as the genetic variation is 3%. 3% is the difference between a human and a chimp) seems to undergo rapid mutations, even moreso than the other 5 strains. When this one hits the wild even more than it already has in Europe, the US, and Asia, its going to have a whole new genetic playground in which to frolic. There's no telling what it will do.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
my concern is asymptomatic transmission which is plausible and hard to prove before viral prodrome. This would make it extremely deadly. Since healthcare radar is up for only symptomatic patients.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

From what I understand of the virus, sorry to say but yes.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biotech2024
my concern is asymptomatic transmission which is plausible and hard to prove before viral prodrome. This would make it extremely deadly. Since healthcare radar is up for only symptomatic patients.

www.sciencedirect.com...

here you go.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Jeez. Are you trying to give me nightmares? Transmission 1-2 days before the prodromal period would be seriously bad. People would be spreading it before they even get achy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
probability predicts that 'typhoid mary' type pattern might emerge. If enough people are infected there is bound to be one.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: netwarrior

Hear hear!

MODS, if you haven't already, applaud this thread!

comments, please?
edit on 13-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: applaud whut?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Just another thought...... Someone mentioned in another thread about the potential for this virus to become 'Zootonic'..?

From what I understand this is where the virus exists in the animal world ..... If it is able to survive outside the body for a period of time then it is possible for the infected waste of people to make it into the sewage system and therefore expose rats which in turn expose other animals.....

Just a thought.....

PDUK

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

Just another thought...... Someone mentioned in another thread about the potential for this virus to become 'Zootonic'..?

From what I understand this is where the virus exists in the animal world ..... If it is able to survive outside the body for a period of time then it is possible for the infected waste of people to make it into the sewage system and therefore expose rats which in turn expose other animals.....

Just a thought.....

PDUK

Yes your correct. Animals will be asymptomatic reservoir vectors.

-----So far, it has been detected in chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, antelopes, porcupines, rodents, dogs, pigs and humans.

Read more: www.natureworldnews.com...
www.brettrussell.com...
www.natureworldnews.com... too....
edit on 13-10-2014 by Biotech2024 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I've spent the last few hours going through the research and ramifications of it, my mind doesn't want to believe the conclusions it has come to.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Which would be?

Can't be too different than wha s probably already posted here somewhere.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Which would be?

Can't be too different than wha s probably already posted here somewhere.

Breakdown in international/domestic supply chain of products. All the things we rely on day to day to live are brought to us locally.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Yup, we've thought it through farily well.

My concern is all of the nuclear power plants and their waste... which will be dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years once the lights go out and the coolant stops flowing.
edit on 13-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: typos, hate this tiny phone keyboard

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Yup, we've thought it through farily well.

My concern is all of the nuclear power plants and their waste... which will be dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years once the lights go out and the coolant stops flowing.

Wait... Ebola is a highly transmissible zoonotic disease that may be shed before symptoms are present and may even include airborn mode of infection. This could potentially wipe out mankind or at least life as we know it and you bring up nuclear waste? I fail to see where that plays in.

My concern world be disposal of billions of corpses to prevent reinfection in the surviving populace and to preserve the quality of fresh water and food supplies.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 59demon

It' one of the multiple parts of our infrastructure that will fail once a critical mass of infections is reached.

Adding to what you mention, not superior in importance but an adjacent development.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join