It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
CDC Director will be a guest on Anderson Cooper.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

CNN posted first in an interview with the family pastor, also the mother said that she was able to talk to her daughter Pham the nurse that is now been treated for ebola via video chat.

The mother said that her daughter was in good spirits.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
CNN reporting nurse wore a full hazmat suit...

The nurses best friend is speaking out about it. OH SNAP.

What? The friend said she wore a full hazmat suit? And she still got it?

This friend better watch what she says or they'll take her away.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

darn it! i missed that part. so, she's saying that it was more than the gown, gloves, mask, and shield??? i assumed from the beginning she was fully covered and that she had to have caught it when taking the suit off. it's still amazing to me that we are told it's really hard to catch, yet someone wearing a full hazmat suit can get it from one tiny mistake. i'm also amazed that thomas duncan's fiance is okay (as far as we know).

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

What? The friend said she wore a full hazmat suit? And she still got it?

This friend better watch what she says or they'll take her away.

Yep headline was "BREAKING: PHAM WAS WEARING FULL HAZMAT SUIT"

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

you know, before the nurse even got sick i had a nightmare that i was in a hospital and doctors THOUGHT i had ebola but i didn't and it was a huge ordeal. i was terrified and i couldn't get to my kids. i can't imagine how scary this is for everyone who has had contact with duncan or the nurse. (also, the dog is in quarantine)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is rather interesting. An article posted by WHO states that a small percentage of Ebola cases have an incubation period of 42 days; not the standard 21 days!

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that 95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days; 98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval. WHO is therefore confident that detection of no new cases, with active surveillance in place, throughout this 42-day period means that an Ebola outbreak is indeed over.

Source

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I checked this thread and couldn't find anything about this report from the Daily Mail, so here's an excerpt:

"Speaking at a hastily arranged press conference on Tuesday DeMoro and union co-director Deborah Burger alleged an unprofessional and careless approach to Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian hospital, where Thomas Eric DUncan passed away last week.

The specific claims made by DeMoro and Burger, if true, are 'startling' according to CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

They include:

Thomas Eric Duncan was not isolated immediately when he was admitted to the hospital with Ebola symptoms.

He was 'left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present,' said Burger, who said that seven patients were in the vicinity of Duncan.

A nursing supervisor faced interference from hospital chiefs when they demanded Duncan be isolated.

The protective clothing the nurses were wearing when they initially treated Duncan left their necks exposed.

When they reported this to their superiors, the nurses were told to use surgical tape and wrap it around their necks instead.

'They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck,' said Burger.

The nurses made the shocking allegation that during Duncan's care, hazardous waste was dumped in a room and built up to the ceiling.

Ultimately, according to DeMoro and Burger, the nurses feel 'unsupported, unprepared, lied to and deserted', especially in light of CDC Director Thomas Frieden's assertion that a 'breach in protocol' led 26-year-old nurse Nina Pham to become infected.

"This nurse was being blamed for not following protocols that did not exist. ... The nurses in that hospital were very angry, and they decided to contact us," DeMoro said. "

www.dailymail.co.uk...

If these allegations are true, then we've got many more exposed people than the CDC has admitted. How could they possibly put other staff and patients at risk by leaving Duncan in a common area in hospital?

And what about the waste piled up to the ceiling? Was it in containers or open for all to see? This is beyond gross (not to mention dangerous).

To put the nurses and other staff at such a risk shows a callous disregard for life. The hospital, of course, denied the nurses' union allegations.

It feels as if tptb wanted many people to get infected. This is ridiculous.

Oh, and btw - the union said that no hospital in the U.S. can deal with Ebola. I agree.

edit on 15-10-2014 by dianajune because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
fwkitziger , could this be your guy?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
Ebola outbreak: Second Texas health worker 'tests positive'

OH DEAR

This is awful. Truly awful. And there will be many more cases.

I pray for all the Texas Healthcare workers and all the EMTs who transported Duncan to the hospital!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LurkingRelentlessly
I think it's very likely this new patient is one of the ones that fwkitziger tipped us off about on Monday in THIS POST in this thread.

The hospital's saying the health care worker started showing a fever on Tuesday.

Would it surprise anyone if they're covering up like crazy now and delaying the release of any info?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
So is this virus much more contagious in the final stages? Would this explain why the people who were around him when he was sick didn't get it? Like the EMTs, his family, those in the waiting room sitting next to him?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

In answer to your first question: actually yes. In lay terms, a person in the later stages of the disease is more contagious. Without going into the grim details, they are very ill and releasing body fluid in every way imaginable. Also, the virus is so rampant in their bodies they are shedding huge amounts of it.

As to the rest you asked about, it's still amazing to me that even when he was less sick, no-one around him became infected. But it doesn't surprise me at all that health care workers who were near him in the late stages picked it up, considering the slack procedures they were forced to follow.
edit on 15/10/14 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Didn't the boyfriend of the Dallas nurse test positive too? Is this the same person?

We're going to see more cases come up, but what really gets me is that Duncan's family - the ones that were carted away by Judge Jenkins to a secret location in/near Dallas - have basically disappeared off the face of the earth. No mention has been made if they got infected or have taken ill. No information whatsoever can be found on them.

Imo their infection is likely due to their close proximity to the patient. So what's up with the silence?

Silence can be deafening in many ways. Especially now.

I can see it now: the nurses' union will sue the hospital, and rightfully so. They've been forced to work w/o adequate protection and now they are paying the price.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike
I looked over my guideline today and double gloves are there but not taping, i asked someone from infection control about why not have taped gloves as an added level and they said it really doesn't add that much extra and depending on the type of tape can be a negative in that it might not be as impermeable as the rest of the outfit giving a false sense of security as well as risk in that tape can come unstuck from itself, snag on another part of suit and cause a tear. Also our donning and doffing procedure is different from what Sanjay demonstrated, we take our gloves off first then untie the back ties and remove the coat slowly rather then the violent action done in the video.. its only small differences and its hard to say which would be more secure. Im happy to provide pictures of our steps if that would be helpful (although it may change)
There is a level of suit in between what Sanjay is wearing and the positive pressure 'space suit', it is essentially an overall what you would normally see painters or chemical sprayers using. The reason why this isnt been recommended yet (at least in my state) is because of the mixed message it sends. The reality is what Sanjay is wearing does provide enough protection (his method of removal is what caused the contamination) while he could step up a level to the 'paint suit' it wouldnt add any more protection as it has its own difficulties in removing. Wearing a full body suit would only provide a greater level of comfort for the person in it however it would then become very difficult to tell the public that droplet precautions are all thats needed when all the treating team is in full gear.
Also one of my colleagues pointed out that in the video Sanjay was faced with the terrifying threat of getting sauce on himself.. perhaps if it was a chemical that caused extreme pain he may have done a better job at not contaminating himself.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Here's another thought: Wasn't there something about the incubation period can sometimes be twice as long - meaning six weeks?

If so we're going to be in for many more cases than we could possibly handle.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

95% of cases will have developed symptoms within 21 days. I think there is another 3% that will last between 21-42 days.. the remaining 2% im not sure (dont quote me on any of that i read this today in passing and will continue tomorrow to see what it is i was actually reading)
My role at work has shifted and im now spending more time just looking at Ebola rather than all infectious diseases so will have more time to look into it..

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Where is Louis Troh, Duncan's girlfriend? Why has she not come forward to give a statement about these two Texas Healthcare workers who have contracted Ebola? You would think she would comment on how her family is sending thoughts and prayers in this difficult time!

Very suspicious to me...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The health care workers did not have proper equipment to deal with this and protocols were not clear, not surprised there is another infected worker, and won't be surprised if there are more, though I hope and pray there are no others that come down with this :-( The incompetence with taking care of situation is sad and unacceptable, especially since we were told any hospital in America could deal with Ebola. They were not prepared, they lied.

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join