It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think that it is OFFENSIVE to health care workers for them to suggest that Hazmat suits are "too complicated" for our health care workers.

Give me a fricken break. They have a world of trouble coming from nurses all over America if they keep insulting their intelligence.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gully

that is just stupid...

The more I learn about how this was handled the more I wonder who was in charge of this.. 70 skilled medical workers cared for someone with ebola, and I am betting not in the proper protective suits either..

STUPID...

What is wrong with these people...

50 to 60 percent mortality rate scares me...

www.forbes.com...
edit on b482014-10-13T18:48:56-05:00America/Chicago103176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: fwkitziger

Yes, even the TV news networks I've watched (SKY from the UK and your own CNN) have run special reports where they show how the MSF and other health workers there in W. Africa get prepared. Full suit, double gloves, all taped, chlorine-based spray-down afterwards before they remove anything. Because that's essential.

So in reality, these health workers in that Dallas hospital have not been taking any special precautions at all. At least, nothing close to what's needed to adequately defend against a pathogen like Ebola. And if they've been following the CDC's advice in their PPE procedure, then that's where the "protocol breach" is: at the CDC.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
But I thought you had to roll around in a persons bodily fluids to get it? That's how the cdc made it sound and the funny guy on the daily show.... Hmmm... You would think with all those veteran doctors in west Africa catching it that nobody knows how to avoid it.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

per forbes, death toll in west AFRIKA, is at 4000 or so RECORDED CASES.... Since April 2014.
edit on b502014-10-13T18:50:49-05:00America/Chicago103176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
www.kctv5.com...

Spreading the love around the country.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76

that is just stupid...

The more I learn about how this was handled the more I wonder who was in charge of this.. 70 skilled medical workers cared for someone with ebola, and I am betting not in the proper protective suits either..

STUPID...

What is wrong with these people...

50 to 60 percent mortality rate scares me...

www.forbes.com...

I agree, I think it's insane. 35 wouldn't do? 20? 10? Seriously, how many do they need to put at risk? Hopefully it remains 1/70 that got infected.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'm afraid if all 70 were following those gloves off first protocols there will probably be more.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76
a reply to: nukedog

per forbes, death toll in west AFRIKA, is at 4000 or so RECORDED CASES.... Since April 2014.

Right well I meant the medical workers getting it. According to the who 240+ have caught it.
Unprecedented number of health workers infected
Silver lining; once they used proper safety protocols the cases dropped off. Gee... I wish they would fly in some Nigerian doctors to talk to these cdc morons

In the past, some Ebola outbreaks became visible only after transmission was amplified in a health care setting and doctors and nurses fell ill. However, once the Ebola virus was identified and proper protective measures were put in place, cases among medical staff dropped dramatically.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin
Kill the dog, blame the nurses. Bureaucracy at work.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here's a really good source for tracking new Ebola news. Besides ATS I mean!!!

www.flutrackers.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sorry folks, but I smell the stench of BS coming from the lips of the CDC.

I am not buying this crap that these health care professionals would have followed such an idiotic protocol that would have them removing gloves first.

I just can't believe that this is true. These people know better than this.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
we really try to be the best at everything here in texas. now we can add to the list that we know how to spread ebola the best! way to go texas!

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
a reply to: texasgirl

Holy cow.

I don't even think there are 70 nurses in our whole Hospital here.

Dallas Presbyterian is an almost 900 bed hospital! That's basically a small city considering the support staff needed to man a place like that.

Soon to be bankrupt, I'm sure. Can a hospital be too big to fail?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pasiphae
Hemorrhagic fever viruses as biological weapons: medical and public health management.

Texans are good at a lot of things

Another reason CDC is uncomfortable. My goodness, the conclusions do sound familiar. Curiouser and curiouser.

You can view the abstract but have to buy the article (hey-this was done on the Taxpayers dime) because it's published under JAMA although it's government sponsored.

"...Participants The Working Group on Civilian Biodefense included 26 representatives from academic medical centers, public health, military services, governmental agencies, and other emergency management institutions...

...Conclusions Weapons disseminating a number of HFVs could cause an outbreak of an undifferentiated febrile illness 2 to 21 days later, associated with clinical manifestations that could include rash, hemorrhagic diathesis, and shock. The mode of transmission and clinical course would vary depending on the specific pathogen. Diagnosis may be delayed given clinicians' unfamiliarity with these diseases, heterogeneous clinical presentation within an infected cohort, and lack of widely available diagnostic tests. Initiation of ribavirin therapy in the early phases of illness may be useful in treatment of some of these viruses, although extensive experience is lacking. There are no licensed vaccines to treat the diseases caused by HFVs...."

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Here is one more sad, scary, negligent part of the mismanagement of this outbreak, from the link you provided: from the Associated Press

The medical records given to the AP offer clues, both to what happened and who was involved, but the hospital says the CDC does not have them.

A CDC spokesman did not dispute that the agency did not have the medical records, and said he would double check. It's unclear why those reports are not in the hands of federal health investigators.

Why would the AP have access to Mr. Duncan's medical records before the CDC?

And further,

The CDC has not yet established a firm number of health care workers who had contact with Duncan.

It's pretty damn hard to do twice-daily monitoring and contact tracing when you don't even know who was possibly exposed.

ETA:
My apologies for the over use of the negative smilies. I'm at a loss for words at how freaking badly this situation is being handled. These are peoples lives they are mucking with....enough with the clown show.

edit on 10/13/2014 by Olivine because: add link

edit on 10/13/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Y'know in all our indignation and flabbergasted reaction to the CDC and government's incompetence and/or obvious attempts to murder the rest of us, I keep wondering how to counter it.... obviously this is not something we can vote out of office. Hell, we don't have until November!

But if ALL the nurses and doctors in the United States went on strike for just one day, it would be a true THROW THE BUMS OUT, WITH PITCHFORKS IF NECESSARY moment.

If this revelation, that they were advised to use knowingly ineffective methods to prevent infection thus putting themselves, their families and the entire population at risk doesn't motivate them, nothing ever will.

Tell your nurse and doctor friends, spread the word. National Strike. Time for an actual leader in the White House and the CDC.

Get that Mobley guy for the CDC, please. I can think of hundreds of people who would work for the Presidency better than Golf Guy.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: k3d59

Got it!!!!

Free PDF of above.

Consensus Statement: Hemorrhagic Fever Viruses as Biological Weapons Medical and Public Health Management

You better believe I downloaded that bad boy. It's 15 pages in PDF format. Hope it's still up if anyone wants to look at it.

link   
Media reports treatment of Nina Pham with convalescent serum from Kent Brantly.

I hope this works for her.

fluboard.rhizalabs.com...

link   
US government offers $1 million for best hazmat suit design:

$1 Million Offer

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join