It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Nineteen patients appeared to have been exposed while visiting someone with suspected EHF, although they did not provide care. Fourteen of the 19 reported touching the patient with suspected EHF; 5 reported that they had no physical contact. Although close contact while caring for an infected person was probably the major route of transmission in this and previous EHF outbreaks, the virus may have been transmitted by touch, droplet, airborne particle, or fomite; thus, expansion of the use of barrier techniques to include casual contacts might prevent or mitigate future epidemics.
all emphases mine.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995: Risk Factors for Patients without a Reported Exposure
Authors
T. H. Roels,
A. S. Bloom,
J. Buffington*,
G. L. Muhungu,
W. R. Mac Kenzie,
A. S. Khan,
R. Ndambi,
D. L. Noah,
H. R. Rolka,
C. J. Peters and
T. G. Ksiazek
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Division of Applied Public Health Training, Division of Prevention Research and Analytic Methods, Epidemiology Program Office, Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia; Mosango Hospital, Mosango, and Institut Superieur du Kikwit, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo

The CDC, and anyone toeing their line can choke on their words.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Actually, he is well on his way to one. He has since moved on to bigger and better things.

a reply to: roadgravel

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: ZIPMATT
What is most unusual and most under-addressed so far is this :

Infection through the skin .

A very unpalatable proposition indeed .

Yes, the virus can be found in the sweat of contagious individuals and it can pass through your skin.
You can contract ebola by shaking hands with an infected person that is shedding virus.

Or similar ie rubbing shoulders with people at a nightclub or on the tube ?? Or so many other ways - requiring a long list .
Surely that mode of transmission is unprecedented ? Any other disease you know of passes through the skin ??
edit on 13-10-2014 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another suspected case in Canada, Ottawa this time. (may need a Canada Ebola thread soon)

www.cbc.ca...

ETA:

www.cbc.ca...

The first human clinical trials of a Canadian-developed Ebola vaccine, VSV-EBOV, begin in Maryland today to assess the vaccine's safety and determine the appropriate dosage to fight the virus that has killed more than 4,000 people, largely in West Africa, Health Minister Rona Ambrose announces.

edit on 13/10/14 by discordantone because: (no reason given)

ETA 2 : First link is now reporting a second suspected case in Belleville in addition to Ottawa.
edit on 13/10/14 by discordantone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Google scholar search summary:

.. Several studies have commented on the distribution of these individual lesions. The distribution of HG reflects the skin to skin contact transmission mechanism of the virus in these athletes (transmission will be discussed in greater detail later in this article). ...

Of

New strategies for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of herpes simplex in contact sports

So yes, it would seem so.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

TPTB are trying to spin this possibility out of every public statement. My question would be, "If an Ebola victim can shed the virus through their sweat, why is it 'impossible' for a healthy person to become infected through a reverse process?"

Personally, I can understand that this is indeed a remote possibility, but it cannot be ruled out entirely. Since the Hippocratic Oath specifically prohibits certain practices, and since Ebola is so incredibly deadly, they're probably not likely to confirm your concerns ... and will stick to their OS.

I've read a lot on evd by now , I think we've pinned the real problem down right here . 'Airborne' and or 'mutation' is not so much the problem . 'Direct contact' as in , it'll go straight through the skin of your hand or foot , is the (feckin massive) problem .
edit on 13-10-2014 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Dude, I have been screaming about indirect/skin to skin contact transmission for a long time:

Infection, although occurring indirectly through body fluids, is strongly suspected to occur through airborne as well as skin contact transmission.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever (EHF): Mechanism of Transmission and Pathogenicity

Published by: Department of Pathology and Department of Laboratory Animal Sciences, Nippon Medical School

The clinical picture of the initial cases was predominantly fever, vomiting, and severe diarrhea. Hemorrhage was not documented for most of the patients with confirmed disease at the time of sampling but may have developed during the later course of the disease.

Emergence of Zaire Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea — Preliminary Report

Published by the New England Journal of Medicine

Me on August 6, 2014

Others too, scary scary ish.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Ok don't panic . We won't be going barefoot into Mosques . We wont hold the escalator handrail . We'll give swimming pools a miss , and not use the computers in public libraries .
How about make a thread which asks members to list out the 'direct contact' opportunities for this virus in say , city environments , and can you define the period the virus can last on general surfaces in commonsense terms . (Have seen the link generally used so far - not good enough)
I'll be reading the link you put
thanks

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

TPTB are trying to spin this possibility out of every public statement. My question would be, "If an Ebola victim can shed the virus through their sweat, why is it 'impossible' for a healthy person to become infected through a reverse process?"

Personally, I can understand that this is indeed a remote possibility, but it cannot be ruled out entirely. Since the Hippocratic Oath specifically prohibits certain practices, and since Ebola is so incredibly deadly, they're probably not likely to confirm your concerns ... and will stick to their OS.

I've read a lot on evd by now , I think we've pinned the real problem down right here . 'Airborne' and or 'mutation' is not so much the problem . 'Direct contact' as in , it'll go straight through the skin of your hand or foot , is the (feckin massive) problem .

Yes. Or if someone (goes to and) touches a fomite. A contaminated surface, etc.

Or - as I've been saying - if a fomite (comes to and) touches a person, in the form of a fly who was just feasting on whatever Ebola-gross liquid it just found a couple of minutes beforehand. The fly itself may not have Ebola. The fomite can be carried IMO on the feet and/or on the mouth of the fly. That is sufficient to give someone EBOV. This is not airborne transmision per se. It's what can be considered fomite-contact transmission.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS

That , and the fly only has to land on your skin , no brushing into the mouth by hand or similar required . A critical piece of info is how long the surface /fomite remains contaminated for , if not sterilised . Whether the virus has surrounding 'fluids' of any kind to extend it's life is another matter . So far I don't think we seem to know for sure about 'how long' ...yet. The study provided by jadedandcynical , while good , doesn't go that far either.

Before yet another ebv thread comes up I wanted to say re those here that at least this one has attracted sensible comments in the main . Some of the others today eg 'Ebola and racism' , and , 'Ebola doesn't exist' are the type of trash that will spoil the further discussions no end . Some more weird and insensible ideas are going surface unfortunately.
On that note all this is starting to remind of some rather pertinent biblical quotes I know, but let's not go there haha

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Transdermal transmission?

The evolution and maintenance of virulence in Staphylococcus aureus: a role for host-to-host transmission?

And I'll stipulate that bacteria and viruses aren't the same thing, but I like the authors' statement that "Despite progress in our understanding of infectious disease biology and prevention, the conditions that select for the establishment and maintenance of microbial virulence remain enigmatic."

Enigmatic...such a nice word. Humans get outraged when the rest of creation refuses to play by our rules, do we not?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The current hot spell of weather has seen increased activities by flies whether in the kitchen or across picnic food and barbecues. It may make grim reading but every fly leaves a calling card in the form of bacterial deposits. These deposits come not only from their legs, but also from the way that they eat - that is vomiting and then sucking up the resulting mixture. Now scientists at the University of Surrey have mapped out just how much the pesky insects leave behind. The research involved trapping blue bottle flies in a Petrie dish and then “growing” the resulting bacteria. The results are a bit startling, for example, if a blue bottle has recently fed on faeces it may carry as many as six million bacteria on its feet.

www.surrey.ac
6 million bacteria on the feet of one fly alone.
Take a look at the link to see how they track microorganisms all over the place.
Ebola flies.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

I had the feeling that the bubble heads within our health care "officials" are nothing bur reading from scripts to cause what the agenda of those behind them wants.

To me some of what this so call "officials tells" sometimes sound more moronic and stupid than professional, hell some people here in ATS had better common sense when explaining ebola and what is going on than any of the so call "officials do

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

How long?

CONCLUSIONS: Our study has shown that Lake Victoria marburgvirus (MARV) and Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV) can survive for long periods in different liquid media and can also be recovered from plastic and glass surfaces at low temperatures for over 3 weeks. The decay rates of ZEBOV and Reston ebolavirus (REBOV) plus MARV within a dynamic aerosol were calculated. ZEBOV and MARV had similar decay rates, whilst REBOV showed significantly better survival within an aerosol.

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY: Data on the survival of two ebolaviruses are presented for the first time. Extended data on the survival of MARV are presented. Data from this study extend the knowledge on the survival of filoviruses under different conditions and provide a basis with which to inform risk assessments and manage exposure to filoviruses.

The survival of filoviruses in liquids, on solid substrates and in a dynamic aerosol.

Authors
Piercy TJ, Smither SJ, Steward JA, Eastaugh L, Lever MS.
Journal
J Appl Microbiol. 2010 Nov;109(5):1531-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2010.04778.x. Epub 2010 Jun 10.

I will look for and edit in time for dried on surfaces. No panic here, btw, sorry if my 'screaming about' comment conveyed that as it was not intended.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
a reply to: Xeven

IF TRUE: When EBOLA is put in the sun's ray's it dies. IF this statement is true, then setup an I.V with a clear tube and let your blood go thru the clear tube and the sun's ray's will kill the ebolea and feed the line back into your body. EBOLA CURE. Then your body can make anti-bodies against ebola.

Slightly off topic, but I've been thinking about this sort of thing lately; is it possible that suntanning, sun exposure, is healthy because not only are you making Vitamin D which is associated with a better immune system, but the UV rays get through to the capillaries and we know UV rays sterilize things? Could it be that simple for the less virulent infections? Get sunlight and your blood will be zapped with UV and cleaned? And higher melanin amounts would require longer sun exposures, making Africans more susceptible to infections? I bet a full body sun exposure would mean that within a short hour or two, all your blood would be so exposed to sunlight?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: riddle6

originally posted by: signalfire
Anyhoo; the Duncan family attended a memorial the other day with Jessie Jackson there. The Duncan family should have still been under quarantine.

The family members with Jackson were those that didn't live in the apartment with him. The family members that were taken from the apartment haven't been heard from, in any way, since they were quarantined.

Edit: Well, we haven't heard directly from them anyways. I believe there was a phone call to a grandmother, or someone like that, and she then spoke to the news.

Yup, I stand corrected, hadn't realized that his mother and cousin were not some of the apartment dwellers, thanks.

I'm starting to wonder if 'gated community' is LOL .gov code for 'FEMA camp', 'DUMB', 'Military Base'...

I can just see it now, instead of herding people into FEMA camps, they'll all be told they're going to a nice gated community... :-/

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
How would this NOT be transmittable by mosquitos? It seems like it would be a given.

And this is far out of the box, but if the best guess for the animal reservoir in the wild is fruit bats, and by definition fruit bats eat a lot of fruit... let's just say I've run into more than one article lately that says that high Vitamin C intake may be protective from Ebola and other viruses.

What if the high C intake protects the bat from fatalities and just makes it a chronic carrier?

This source is not the most sane sounding, so don't blame me; I just consider everything information, until it gets too far into science fiction or fantasy; the discussion of Vitamin C is 3/4 of the way down the page:

Jim Stone

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

How about equal problem status?
And at least CDC admits airborne is poosible (not probable).

CDC Admits Airborne Possible

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
As has been stated in many posts here, it seems media and even the government is finally admitting - our hospitals are NOT ready for Ebola, and the CDC messed up in preparing our health care workers.

www.foxnews.com...

Frieden is on the hot seat. It was not the nurse's fault for breaking any protocols. They were not instructed in protocols, and CDC did not provide on-site support in the critical situation with Duncan.

He is also being blamed for lying about US hospitals being ready.

The head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Monday that other U.S. hospital workers may have Ebola after a Dallas nurse tested positive for the virus, as he vowed to "double down" on training for health care workers -- raising questions about whether he told the truth when he initially assured the public and Congress that U.S. hospitals are capable of treating Ebola patients.

Thomas Frieden, at a press briefing on Monday, said the CDC would be taking a number of steps including offering more training and outreach throughout the health care system. He said they need to "rethink" their approach to the virus.

Read on where Frieden apologizes for blaming the nurse.
edit on 10/13/14 by BlueAjah because: spelling

edit on 10/13/14 by BlueAjah because: fixed quote

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

I'm not sure how I feel about that dog situation. If there is such an easy test, then why did Spain go ahead and kill the dog? Did they test and find that the dog had it? Have they tested this dog?

Just add all that to a list of questions we will probably never get an answer to.

I'm cynical today :/
edit on 13-10-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join