It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Lies About Marijuana That Won't Die Easy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Just by reading 5 lines of your ignorance, I can tell that you yourself haven't even tried any of the drugs you talk about.
Why talk about something you know next to nothing about?

There are infinite levels of drunkness. Loving drunk, beating drunk, agressive drunk, kill others drunk, kill yourself drunk and the list goes on. Trust me, as a child of a drug addict and an alcoholic drug addict who used to rob banks for a living, I would know.

If you smoke marijuana, you won't feel the need to find a "better high", unless marijuana wasn't the high you were looking for. Understand? You smoke or inject something else if it was another high you were looking for, not a "better high".

Let me give you an example:

If you go to a restaurant, you order a big juicy steak, because that's what you want. The waiter then brings you that big juicy steak and the minute you sink your teeth in you find that you are actually not satisfied with the steak, you now want a roast instead. In your logic was the steak the gateway meat to the roast?

Is it the steaks fault that you are now wanting roast? Because in your logic it is the marijuanas fault that the user craves another drug. I really hope you can see your own ignorance. Some people have no limits and those people tend to seek stronger things. Those are the same people sitting in the car drunk driving for the 4th time. They have no limits. You can't blame the drugs for that.

You need to really only adress things you know something about, and this topic is clearly not something you have any knowledge on. Please tell me you don't teach kids these things. You are doing more damage than you know.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Legalization of cannabis will strike a blow to the cotton industry, the forest industry & the pharmaceutical industry. The first two reasons are why cannabis was made illegal 100yrs ago.

and this is exactly why until they can make money from it...it will remain taboo

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
Those aren't lies

but they just lied about the 'evil weed'
how can we trust anything they say?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: groingrinder

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'll agree to all of these being lies if you will agree that the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned.

Not only yeah, but HELL YEAH!! Do you think people drink alcohol to quench their thirst?

Difference being no one argues alcohol should be legal because of it's medicinal / sterilization benefits. That was his point. People want to get high and don't really care about the medical benefits, but always use the medical benefits argument so they can get high.

Regardless of someone's motives to legalize, it DOES have medical benefits.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Answer

I agree with some of your points but it is fair to say that pot is a gateway deal. Many have seen this happen first hand and its not really a mystery. Have also seen it change peoples behavior and attitude. While it may not be addictive, that is have the same outward effect that are obvious in users of other drugs, the high, the condition, is psychologically addictive for many.

It is addictive, just not for everyone. 1 in 6 who smoke are addicted. It just doesn't have the same withdrawal symptoms of say coc aine.

The study says 1 in 10 for adults and only 1 in 6 if you started as a teenager and are a habitual smoker.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Well you sure proved your point. End of conversation.

The most unusual thing about the pot debate is the assumption that we are all going to enter uncharted territories of cannabis use. Folks wake up this stuff has been in use for a long time. There's a lot stoned people out there already. I personally haven't noticed them getting in the way much. Not like drunks. Imagine the number of drunks escalated, boy would that be trouble. I guess the question could be what would happen to the number of users if pot were legal. Most people who are against it seem to believe that it would be irresistible and vast numbers of formally straight folks would flock to the ganja. I don't think so. Some people just don't like it, just like some people don't like alcohol.

I'm no historian, but if I recall correctly, criminalization was not because there was an unacceptable onslaught of reefer madness, but had more to do with the industrial benefits of the plan. I don't recall there being any Carrie Nation figure, or Mothers Against Drunk Driving, or any social ground swell for it's prohibition. Probably wasn't even that popular. But declare a war on it and suddenly everyone's interested.

I think it would make a heck of a social experiment if use escalated like some think. Imagine if 25% of the people you see everyday were stoned. Write your own story about what the world would look like.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: okyouwin

I think it would make a heck of a social experiment if use escalated like some think. Imagine if 25% of the people you see everyday were stoned. Write your own story about what the world would look like.

Ever eat at a restaurant? Somebody who cooked your food, served it, or poured your drink was stoned. Ever pump gas and pay a clerk? Possibility the clerk was stoned. Ever have food delivered to you? Your driver was stoned. I go to work in that condition generally to enhance my patience with all of the aholes who are not stoned. And what's more? I am harder working, more intelligent and more industrious than 95% of my co workers. Unintelligent people shouldn't smoke just like they shouldn't drink alcohol, and everything would be fine.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

It is addictive, just not for everyone. 1 in 6 who smoke are addicted. It just doesn't have the same withdrawal symptoms of say coc aine.

That doesn't equal addictive, though - does it? Addictive is addictive. Pot obviously isn't any more addictive than cake - perhaps less so.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
On the issue of driving after having smoked pot---it isn't a scientific study but back in the '90s I knew a couple of people who had access to one of those driving simulators that measures reaction time. These guys were long-time users, like since Vietnam, so they decided to do a bit of after-hours experimentation with the machine.
After their normal dosage there was no difference in one's reaction time---none---while the machine showed that the other actually improved his reaction time.
In my 30+ years of activism for this plant I suppose I've heard most of the arguments made by Drug Warriors and I've noticed that the most vocal of those people are the ones who stand to lose the most by legalization. In those 30+ years I've seen an amazing shift in attitudes as grandparents' eyes are opened as they see a young person's future be seriously impaired by the simple possession of a few bits of a weed.
In my mind all control freaks are dangerous and the best example of control freaks I've ever seen is this stupid War on Drugs and all the Nixon disciples who cling to it despite the many proofs of its failure and the many, many innocent people who have died because of it. Take a look at the list here: ssdp.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I agree with some of your points but it is fair to say that pot is a gateway deal. Many have seen this happen first hand and its not really a mystery. Have also seen it change peoples behavior and attitude. While it may not be addictive, that is have the same outward effect that are obvious in users of other drugs, the high, the condition, is psychologically addictive for many.

You missed my main point. If marijuana ceased to exist, it would not change the path of drug addicts.

It's like the argument that banning guns would keep people from becoming murderers. An addict will find a way to escape reality no matter what.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Yea I have always heard that pot was packed full of a wide range of necessary vitamins and minerals for healthy bones and muscles.

So is alcohol right, such healthy stuff! It's super beneficial for epilepsy, oh wait..no it's not. But Marijuana can be:

Twenty-one percent of subjects had used marijuana in the past year with the majority of active users reporting beneficial effects on seizures.

Marijuana Use and Epilepsy

A doctor who changed his mind on medicinal marijuana:

I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.

Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed

Will total legalization of medicinal marijuana cut pain killer deaths?

States that have legalized medical marijuana may be reaping an unintended benefit from easing up on restrictions: They appear to have nearly 25 percent fewer deaths from overdoses involving prescription painkillers, a new study found.

Medic inal Marijuana Linked to Fewer Painkiller Deaths

Some Research Studies in to Medicinal Marijuana

The major difference is that quitting marijuana won't kill you but quitting booze can and it's legal.

Level 3) Major Withdrawal: Delirium. Alcohol-induced hallucinations. Patient generally cannot distinguish hallucination from reality. Profuse sweating. Seizures. Severe blood pressure spikes. Sever tremor. Racing and irregular heartbeat. Fever. Possible death. These symptoms may appear within 48 to 72 hours after quitting drinking and peak in five days.

What is Alcohol Withdrawal?

There are benefits to Medicinal Marijuana, it does help to improve patients overall quality of life.
edit on 13-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

The problem with the addictive/not addictive argument is the misuse of the term "addiction."

People can be psychologically addicted to video games, chocolate, sex, reality TV, the internet, and just about anything else in life. Marijuana is psychologically addictive because people prefer to face the world high than sober.

Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, coc aine, meth, heroin, prescription drugs, etc. cause physical dependence because the body responds negatively to discontinuation. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence, therefore the level of "addiction" is nothing like the above-listed substances.

There are articles online that try to claim Marijuana causes physical dependence because long-term users who quit cold turkey have symptoms of "anxiety, depression, and irritability." News flash: most heavy users turned to pot in the first place because of anxiety, depression, and irritability caused either by underlying psychological issues or by dealing with the general hardships of life. When they quit cold turkey, they have to face life sober and it sucks for them. If you sleep on a really nice mattress every night and someone forces you to sleep on the floor, you'd show symptoms of anxiety, depression, and irritability... does that mean you're addicted to your mattress?
edit on 10/13/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
My biggest beef with pot is that it made it very difficult to remember my dreams.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

If cannabis is a gateway to hard drugs then a donut is a gateway food to obesity.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoeSignal
There are infinite levels of drunkness. Loving drunk, beating drunk, agressive drunk, kill others drunk, kill yourself drunk and the list goes on. Trust me, as a child of a drug addict and an alcoholic drug addict who used to rob banks for a living, I would know.

You are talking about behaviors associated with drinking and that has nothing to do with my statement, so I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. My statement was that smoking pot has more associations with smoking other dangerous drugs since they are smoked and the more dangerous drugs provide a better high. Where drinking is one dimensional in a person doesn't look for a better drunk and you do not smoke it.

If you smoke marijuana, you won't feel the need to find a "better high", unless marijuana wasn't the high you were looking for. Understand? You smoke or inject something else if it was another high you were looking for, not a "better high".

Better/Another all the same since both are created by the curiosity and crossing of barriers that pot provides.

Let me give you an example:

If you go to a restaurant, you order a big juicy steak, because that's what you want. The waiter then brings you that big juicy steak and the minute you sink your teeth in you find that you are actually not satisfied with the steak, you now want a roast instead. In your logic was the steak the gateway meat to the roast?

Meat is meat... so you are saying that all highs as equal? How about this... You are eating a hot dog and I'm eating a juicy steak that you never tried but you have decided you like meat. Next time you go to the store do you by the hotdogs you been eating for a long time or do you for once try that steak...

Were you 1/2 baked in writing about your meat analogy since there wasn't much clarification in it?
hehe

You need to really only adress things you know something about, and this topic is clearly not something you have any knowledge on. Please tell me you don't teach kids these things. You are doing more damage than you know.

So says the 1/2 baked pot guy....lol

edit on 13-10-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: centhwevir1979

originally posted by: okyouwin

Ever eat at a restaurant? Somebody who cooked your food, served it, or poured your drink was stoned. Ever pump gas and pay a clerk? Possibility the clerk was stoned. Ever have food delivered to you? Your driver was stoned. I go to work in that condition generally to enhance my patience with all of the aholes who are not stoned. And what's more? I am harder working, more intelligent and more industrious than 95% of my co workers. Unintelligent people shouldn't smoke just like they shouldn't drink alcohol, and everything would be fine.
Well that's what I'm talking about. The evidence is already in. Legalization is not going to change much of what is already the case. So arguing that we can't legalize for fear of what could happen, is kind of silly.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Pot being addictive could be a lie, might depend on the person too. Both myself and my Brother quit cold turkey after some moderate use in High School. No withdrawals, cravings, issues, etc.
edit on 14-10-2014 by DrumStickNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, coc aine, meth, heroin, prescription drugs, etc. cause physical dependence because the body responds negatively to discontinuation. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence, therefore the level of "addiction" is nothing like the above-listed substances.

Sorry, false, I linked actual studies that prove it does cause physical dependence. It would be more like caffeine in that regards, not like coc aine. The problem is the media makes sensational claims about it being as addictive as heroin when that is not exactly what the science is saying. Media never gets the science right though, it sells more papers to get it wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You are talking about behaviors associated with drinking and that has nothing to do with my statement, so I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. My statement was that smoking pot has more associations with smoking other dangerous drugs since they are smoked and the more dangerous drugs provide a better high. Where drinking is one dimensional in a person doesn't look for a better drunk and you do not smoke it.

Better/Another all the same since both are created by the curiosity and crossing of barriers that pot provides.

I am only saying, that all the people I meet and all the people I check up on, have for over 20 years only smoked reefer and nothing else. Yet, most young people I meet that drink a lot, also submit to other substances, in most cases hard drugs.

Meat is meat... so you are saying that all highs as equal? How about this... You are eating a hot dog and I'm eating a juicy steak that you never tried but you have decided you like meat. Next time you go to the store do you by the hotdogs you been eating for a long time or do you for once try that steak...

Were you 1/2 baked in writing about your meat analogy since there wasn't much clarification in it?
hehe

Ok, maybe my comparing skills aren't always the straightest, but I was in a hurry and thought I could get my point across. But I really have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't get it?

For example (uh, oh here I go again) is it not the same as saying we would drive faster every time we sat in a car?
Out of curiosity?

If we do something bad, do we always do something even more bad next time?

If we always escalated things and never seized a middle way in life everything would be chaos. And that is the thing you are adressing, my friend. Chaos. In some humans an uncontrollable force that wins every time, maybe. I am just trying to tell you that the demons wreaking havoc on people, destroying whole families and communities even, stems mostly from alcohol, chemical drugs and medicines, not marijuana. Think of me what you will, but the sanity in me is high, and I know what I know. Peace to you, I wouldn't wish it any other way.

So says the 1/2 baked pot guy....lol

If you must know, always fully baked, my friend.

But what's that to you?

Would you believe me if I told you I wouldn't be alive today, if it wasn't for marijuana?
Would you believe that a friend of mine would be a vegetable lying in bed shaking 16 hours per day, instead of running around playing with his kids every day, marrying his dream girl last year, all because of medical marijuana?

As a bonus topic for you he used to spend maybe $900 a month purchasing the medicine that cribbled him 16 hrs a day. That amount has decreased by almost 50% meaning around $500 a month.

I respect your opinion, we all have our reasons in life. At least thank you for replying.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoeSignal
I am only saying, that all the people I meet and all the people I check up on, have for over 20 years only smoked reefer and nothing else. Yet, most young people I meet that drink a lot, also submit to other substances, in most cases hard drugs.

I have seen many different scenarios over the years. One thing I do see is that pot dulls a person's drive and ambition. For some it is not an issue, but for many it just enough to reduce their ability to achieve greater life's goals. If you need it to live then so be it when your life is already suffering, any negative things is small.

If we do something bad, do we always do something even more bad next time?

Hell I voted to legalize it in Washington, I just do not wear rose color glasses thinking it is all good with zero negative aspects, that all.

If we always escalated things and never seized a middle way in life everything would be chaos. And that is the thing you are adressing, my friend. Chaos. In some humans an uncontrollable force that wins every time, maybe. I am just trying to tell you that the demons wreaking havoc on people, destroying whole families and communities even, stems mostly from alcohol, chemical drugs and medicines, not marijuana. Think of me what you will, but the sanity in me is high, and I know what I know. Peace to you, I wouldn't wish it any other way.

Everyone is different, we see it all the time.

edit on 17-10-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join