It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excursions in the 14 C record at A.D. 774 – 775 in tree rings from Russia and America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
Hi there Beansidhe,
Have you read mike Baillies aurthur to exodus, if not try to find a copy.
Even though Baillie has recently admitted defeat , with respect to a possible impact in the 6th century, although I think he will come back around.

A discrepancy in one of the Greenland ice cores has led Mike to withdraw his proposed impact , and he has gone back in favor of a volcanic origin of the climate downturn.
But Dallas abbot has found more evidence for am extra terrestrial impact , such as fossilized tropical diatoms found in Greenland ice cores, and she has tenativley identified a crater structure off the coast of Norway.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: Hanslune
Hans,
Dust loading from a close pass or a pass through the tail could cause a substantial drop in atmospheric temperatures. Also the gasses from the body, would also occlude the sun to a degree.
If there was an impact , as has been proposed for the south pacific, then even more dust and parasol gasses would be injected into the atmosphere.

Yeah you could do your dissertation on that subject

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ill leave that for the wannabe climatologists.
If I do a dissertation it will be on the apparent bias in dating between new world and old world sites, such as U/T is accepted in the old world but in the new world it is called into question

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Apparently a comet impact would be too small to create such a large carbon-14 spike.

The carbon-14 spike in the 8th century was not caused by a cometary impact on Earth at arXiv:1401.5945v2 [astro-ph.EP], 13 Jun 2014

edit on 12/10/14 by Astyanax because: of formatting.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

Ill leave that for the wannabe climatologists.
If I do a dissertation it will be on the apparent bias in dating between new world and old world sites, such as U/T is accepted in the old world but in the new world it is called into question

That is what happens when you have a decentralized anthropology/archaeology community, each decides on its own what to accept in regards to technical specifications.

I'm driven to laughter when some poster propose that their are dark conspiracies telling the scientists what to do, yet in reality its hard to consensus on many things.
edit on 12/10/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=

About 12,800 years ago when the Earth was warming and emerging from the last ice age, a dramatic and anomalous event occurred that abruptly reversed climatic conditions back to near-glacial state. According to James Kennett, UC Santa Barbara emeritus professor in earth sciences, this climate switch fundamentally –– and remarkably –– occurred in only one year, heralding the onset of the Younger Dryas cool episode

"Because these three sites in North America and the Middle East are separated by 1,000 to 10,000 kilometers, there were most likely three or more major impact/airburst epicenters for the YDB impact event, likely caused by a swarm of cosmic objects that were fragments of either a meteorite or comet," said Kennett.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I'm sorry. I don't see the relevance of the link you posted, because
  1. The post you quoted speaks of an event 12,800 years ago, not one that occurred in the eighth century.

2. The paper I linked to was published in June 2014; the post you quote was written in 2013.

edit on 12/10/14 by Astyanax because: it's eighth, dammit, not eight.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax The post was in reference to cause and effect of some of the findings about comet impacts and the WIDE spread of the debris field. Sorry if it was not pertinent, I thought it was but admittedly I think weird sometimes seeing connections in obscure topics and happenings.. sorry

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

All right, thank you very much indeed.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Hi punkinworks, I hope this finds you well!
I haven't read Baillie's book, but I'm heading straight to Amazon after replying to you.

I like the comet idea, because the stories fit better with such an event and I strongly believe that we humans are good storytellers, and strive to pass on important events to our kin. I read about the ice cores recently -it might even have been here on ATS, I can't remember at the moment - and the results seemed to suggest something of a phenomenal size hitting earth. I'll look into Dallas Abbot asap, that sounds like an exciting discovery. A coastal impact would make sense, or a shallow sea hit would explain why no craters are jumping out as being obvious.
Cheers for the info punkinworks, have a great weekend!
edit on 12-10-2014 by beansidhe because: wonky italics

edit on 12-10-2014 by beansidhe because: and again!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I wonder if this comet/cosmic source event by increasing the radioactive carbon 14 also cause significant changes to life on Earth at about that time? DNA after all being built on carbon would absorb a lot of extra radioactive carbon from this event. The mutations would be very sudden. The new born and fast growing of all species would be effected by this event.

As example I will link this report from Science Daily. Radioactivity muddles alphabet of DNA

I wounder what mutations can be traced to this event in the historical record of the time period?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join